scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

15 minutes ago, red blades said:

I don't believe this is a "loophole", it think the extension of eligibility is explicitly permitted via waiver, in the case of medical hardship or other circumstances. But the waiver still requires taking a leave of absence so the student graduates in the specified enrollment time period.

As an aside - there's been a lot of hand wringing in the Ivy League in recent years over what some consider to be an archaic and unrealistic policy (and not just with respect to wrestling).  I think the current policy is considered something of a compromise; not ideal, but allows for some flexibility in the face of hardship, without granting athletes an accomodation not available to other students.

https://medium.com/full-court-press-cornell-daily-sun/how-the-ivy-league-is-forcing-out-student-athletes-885c8311e25a

That wasn't my quote. It was JDA.  I think he might have been suggesting it as an Ivy loophole not NCAA. Perfectly legal either way as I see it just unusual and seems almost more something you would have in D3.

28 minutes ago, red blades said:

I don't believe this is a "loophole", it think the extension of eligibility is explicitly permitted via waiver, in the case of medical hardship or other circumstances. But the waiver still requires taking a leave of absence so the student graduates in the specified enrollment time period.

I think JDA is using "loophole" colloquially not pejoratively.

15 minutes ago, ugarte said:

I think JDA is using "loophole" colloquially not pejoratively.

I'm sure you are correct, but I'm not sure everyone reading would understand that there is a pretty rigorous process in place to determine if and when waivers are granted.

2 hours ago, red blades said:

As an aside - there's been a lot of hand wringing in the Ivy League in recent years over what some consider to be an archaic and unrealistic policy (and not just with respect to wrestling).  I think the current policy is considered something of a compromise; not ideal, but allows for some flexibility in the face of hardship, without granting athletes an accomodation not available to other students.

Sorry, I didn't mean to set off a firestorm over the use of the word loophole, which I view as a way of taking advantage of a lack of a rule more than anything else.  My son toured one college where the prospective students were told "You WILL graduate in four years!" because the school didn't let them go past that.  Did they actually mean eight possibly non-consecutive semesters?  Don't know, but it might have been interesting to explore that possibility; he went elsewhere.

I always thought that the Ivy stricture against redshirting as a freshman, in particular, was backwards.  Pre-1970 freshmen were not eligible, supposedly to let them adjust to college life before added varsity status to the load.  I always thought that was a good idea, actually, and I would have thought the Ivies would have been in favor of redshirting freshmen, perhaps to the extent of requiring it.  I just wish now that they'd require that athletes not in school be removed from team rosters.  Some do, some don't, some do both alternately.

4 hours ago, red blades said:

https://medium.com/full-court-press-cornell-daily-sun/how-the-ivy-league-is-forcing-out-student-athletes-885c8311e25a

I think you can call it a loophole if you need to a get a waiver for a “medical hardship” for a likely run of the mill knee injury (as it was never reported on), which causes you to miss an entire year of school.

Anyone from Cornell plan on heading out to see the Princeton match?  Shoot me a message.  Trying to set up some sort of get together either before or after. Ideally before, so we might be able to sit in the same area at the start of the meet.

1 hour ago, RED said:

Anyone from Cornell plan on heading out to see the Princeton match?  Shoot me a message.  Trying to set up some sort of get together either before or after. Ideally before, so we might be able to sit in the same area at the start of the meet.

Message sent.

This might be a dumb question, but is Arujau back (off his ORS)? The reason I ask is that there is a Cornell wrestling Facebook post with his photo that says,  "Back in action this weekend (Feb. 8 & 9) at Penn and Princeton! #LGR#YellCornell "  There are two  photos, one of Arujau. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=cornell wrestling&epa=SEARCH_BOX

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

This might be a dumb question, but is Arujau back (off his ORS)? The reason I ask is that there is a Cornell wrestling Facebook post with his photo that says,  "Back in action this weekend (Feb. 8 & 9) at Penn and Princeton! #LGR#YellCornell "  There are two  photos, one of Arujau. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=cornell wrestling&epa=SEARCH_BOX

I doubt it. The other photo is Joey Galasso and he won't be wrestling either.

23 minutes ago, red blades said:

Not wrestling related - but just saw this re: Frank Rhodes: https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2020/02/frank-rhodes-cornells-ninth-president-dies-93

He was a huge influence while I was there, he will be missed.

I worked at Cornell Catering one summer, and did a dinner at his house while he was President.  I still have his place card somewhere.

"Back in action" might just be a reference to the team's recent off weekend.

Has anyone heard anything about Brandon Womack's status?  Wrestlestat has had a couple of muckups with their 174 rankings this week.  Yesterday they skipped directly from #2 to #4 (#3 evidently was supposed to be Myles Amine, who's redshirting); they fixed that today but now there's no #14, which was where Womack was ranked yesterday.  There's also no Womack.  The explanation posted on the Lehigh Sports Forum was that someone (I don't know who) removed Womack's status as a starter (which might not be a permanent thing).

Is this just Wrestlestat playing Iowa Caucus with their rankings, or is something real going on?

6 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

"Back in action" might just be a reference to the team's recent off weekend.

Has anyone heard anything about Brandon Womack's status?  Wrestlestat has had a couple of muckups with their 174 rankings this week.  Yesterday they skipped directly from #2 to #4 (#3 evidently was supposed to be Myles Amine, who's redshirting); they fixed that today but now there's no #14, which was where Womack was ranked yesterday.  There's also no Womack.  The explanation posted on the Lehigh Sports Forum was that someone (I don't know who) removed Womack's status as a starter (which might not be a permanent thing).

Is this just Wrestlestat playing Iowa Caucus with their rankings, or is something real going on?

I would have to wonder why Berryesa came off redshirt and wrestled at Edinboro at 174 if Womack was going to return.

2 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

I would have to wonder why Berryesa came off redshirt and wrestled at Edinboro at 174 if Womack was going to return.

if Womack comes back at 165 that would be pretty cool but I suspect he's out for good

9 hours ago, ugarte said:

if Womack comes back at 165 that would be pretty cool but I suspect he's out for good

Koll checks in:

"Colton Yapoujian injured his knee in December and will not be returning to the line-up this year. He will qualify for a medical red-shirt and is working with Cornell to make sure he does everything necessary to be here for the additional year."

"74 Brandon Womack: was injured at the South Beach duals and is out indefinitely. As a result, we asked Andrew Berreyesa to return to school this semester."

Interesting. So with Yapoujian out, is Fredy Stroker a possibility? I haven’t followed his career since the transfer closely so I don’t know if he’s even on the team anymore, but at the time of the transfer, I thought he’d be an impact player at some point and continue to be surprised that he appears to have disappeared. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Interesting. So with Yapoujian out, is Fredy Stroker a possibility? I haven’t followed his career since the transfer closely so I don’t know if he’s even on the team anymore, but at the time of the transfer, I thought he’d be an impact player at some point and continue to be surprised that he appears to have disappeared. 

Koll didn't mention him and I assume he's done. Stroker has had injury issues - his season ended last year on a shoulder injury against Humphries. He mostly didn't carry his high school success into college but he did have a couple of good wins over Rutgers' Van Brill and UNC's Monday.

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Stroker has been off the roster for many months.

41 minutes ago, tjhart said:

So Yap goes out Dec 4th and we don't hear squat about it from Koll unitl Feb 6th? Not the same Koll who use dot be king of the  coaches response. 

I don't recall Koll saying much about injuries in the past.  Do you?

It's not as if he's put out his missives and happened to forget mentioning it.