scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

On 2/5/2020 at 6:55 AM, RED said:

Anyone from Cornell plan on heading out to see the Princeton match?  Shoot me a message.  Trying to set up some sort of get together either before or after. Ideally before, so we might be able to sit in the same area at the start of the meet.

Mank, I'm going!  Sent you a note...

BTW, not to get too far in front of things - here are the projected matchups for the Cornell vs. Penn dual:

125         Dom LaJoie (13-13) vs. #8 Michael Colaiocco (15-5) or Dan Planta (2-2)

133         #5 Chas Tucker (23-0) vs. Carmen Ferrante (13-9)

141         Noah Baughman (18-9) or Mike Russo (9-4) vs. #19 Doug Zapf (20-5)

149         #25 Hunter Richard (17-7) or Mike Russo (9-4) vs. Lucas Revano (12-10) or Jon Errico (7-3)

157         Adam Santoro (10-12) vs. #13 Anthony Artalona (14-6) or Cam Connor (13-10)

165         Jake Brindley (5-7) vs. Jake Lizak (7-11) or Brian Krasowski (5-10)

174         Andrew Berreyesa (6-1) or Milik Dawkins (9-8) vs. Neil Antrassian (10-13) or Jake Stefanowicz (2-2)

184         Jonathan Loew (19-9) or Jonah Barley (5-6) vs. John Stout (3-7) or Jalen Laughlin (0-0)

197         #10 Ben Darmstadt (20-5) vs. Cole Urbas (14-8) or Greg Bensley (2-6)

HWT      Brendan Furman (14-11) vs. Ben Goldin (12-9) or Nate Hoaglund (3-8)

And then for Cornell vs. Princeton:

125         Dom LaJoie (13-13) vs. #3 Patrick Glory (15-0)

133         #5 Chas Tucker (23-0) vs. Ty Agaisse (5-5)

141         Noah Baughman (18-9) or Mike Russo (9-4) vs. Marshall Keller (11-10) or Pat D'Arcy (4-6)

149         #25 Hunter Richard (17-7) or Mike Russo (9-4) vs. Josh Breeding (5-8) (No D'angelo?)

157         Adam Santoro (10-12) vs. #4 Quincy Monday (17-3) or Jack Lang (1-3)

165         Jake Brindley (5-7) vs. Grant Cuomo (11-4) or Dale Tiongson (4-1)

174         Andrew Berreyesa (6-1) or Milik Dawkins (9-8) vs. Kevin Parker (10-6) or Nate Dugan (7-7)

184         Jonathan Loew (19-9) or Jonah Barley (5-6) vs. Travis Stefanik (6-4)

197         #10 Ben Darmstadt (20-5) vs. #3 Patrck Brucki (14-2)

HWT      Brendan Furman (14-11) vs. Aidan Conner (6-12)

Edited by red blades

Penn vs. Cornell on ESPN+.  Wrestlestat projects this tied 9-9 after 165, but then all Cornell for the upper weights.  Cornell should cruise to a win, but there are some interesting matchups:

125 Dom LaJoie will be a clear underdog vs Coliaocco , but if he can somehow pull off an upset, this will help his case for an NCAA bid.

141 Baughman is a one point underdog vs. Zapf, but he's been on a roll.

149 Hunter Richard vs. Revano - should be close.

285 Furman vs. Goldin - Furman favored, but not a sure thing.

2 hours ago, red blades said:

Penn vs. Cornell on ESPN+.  Wrestlestat projects this tied 9-9 after 165, but then all Cornell for the upper weights.  Cornell should cruise to a win, but there are some interesting matchups:

125 Dom LaJoie will be a clear underdog vs Coliaocco , but if he can somehow pull off an upset, this will help his case for an NCAA bid.

141 Baughman is a one point underdog vs. Zapf, but he's been on a roll.

149 Hunter Richard vs. Revano - should be close.

285 Furman vs. Goldin - Furman favored, but not a sure thing.

Kolodzik is burning his ORS for this match.

44 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Well done. Wasn't this supposed to be close?

No.  Tomorrow is a different story.  Darmstadt pin in :24, I believe.  Takedown to a cradle.  Loew with another assassin for the pin.

Weird match in Jadwin Gym this afternoon.  Kudos to Princeton for getting the title.  #3 Glory "only" wins 9-0 over unranked Lajoie.  Kolodzik should have lost, if the ref had any concept of both stalling and fairness:  Kolodzik was called for stalling three times and spent the last four minutes or so in reverse, and was nearly taken down at the buzzer by Hunter Richard, who was pushing the entire match.  #4 Monday wins 9-7 over unranked (and continually losing, but not by not trying) Santoro, and continues to show a lack of a gas tank.  #3 Brucki got rag-dolled by Darmstadt the entire match:  I believe Ben had over five minutes riding time.  Funny to see the #3 ranked guy take neutral in the second, and his opponent take top in the third.  Darmstadt was up 10-2 near the end, and was trying to turn Brucki (again) but gave up the reverse.  The first two points were on some bizarre illegal hold (you have to see it to understand it) that Koll obviously disagreed with, and a point for locked hands when it appeared they were both on the mat.

Princeton had better up their game for EIWA and NCAA if they want to make any noise.

I was there -  the officiating was atrocious, the PA announcer was super obnoxious... but it really was an incredible dual.  Wow.  Hats off to Princeton, they really were on a mission, and earned the win!

So let's see - we don't get to start on another consecutive Ivy win streak until next season?  1... 2... 3... (Oooo that's depressing!)

"A Tiger Two!"  RB, was that not exceptionally obnoxious or what?  Damn, the last 5 seconds at 184 dictated the outcome of the match.  Crazy position - initially I thought we were going to get the backs......  I don't know how he didn't get the takedown there.  Very frustrating exchange to say the least.

1 hour ago, RED said:

"A Tiger Two!"  RB, was that not exceptionally obnoxious or what?  Damn, the last 5 seconds at 184 dictated the outcome of the match.  Crazy position - initially I thought we were going to get the backs......  I don't know how he didn't get the takedown there.  Very frustrating exchange to say the least.

I have no idea how stefanek kept loew from scoring. the cradle was overkill. so close. close enough that the loss was actually heartbreaking. 

Edited by ugarte

Things that make you go "hmm...".  From the hot-off-the-presses match notes:

Probable Starters:

125 TBA
133 TBA
141 TBA
149 TBA
157 TBA
165 TBA
174 TBA
184 TBA
197 TBA
HWT TBA

(edit)

Updated:

125 Dom LaJoie (13-15)
133 #5 Chas Tucker (25-0)
141 Noah Baughman (19-10)
149 Hunter Richard (18-8)
157 Adam Santoro (11-13)
165 Jake Brindley (6-8) or Milik Dawkins (9-8)
174 Andrew Berreyesa (7-2)
184 Jonathan Loew (20-10)
197 #3 Ben Darmstadt (22-5)
HWT Brendan Furman (16-11)

And this:
 Womack has been out of commission since the end of December, but hopes to return to the mat for Cornell by the end of the season.

Edited by klehner

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Things that make you go "hmm...".  From the hot-off-the-presses match notes:

Probable Starters:

125 TBA
133 TBA
141 TBA
149 TBA
157 TBA
165 TBA
174 TBA
184 TBA
197 TBA
HWT TBA

(edit)

Updated:

125 Dom LaJoie (13-15)
133 #5 Chas Tucker (25-0)
141 Noah Baughman (19-10)
149 Hunter Richard (18-8)
157 Adam Santoro (11-13)
165 Jake Brindley (6-8) or Milik Dawkins (9-8)
174 Andrew Berreyesa (7-2)
184 Jonathan Loew (20-10)
197 #3 Ben Darmstadt (22-5)
HWT Brendan Furman (16-11)

And this:
 Womack has been out of commission since the end of December, but hopes to return to the mat for Cornell by the end of the season.

Would love to see Womack finish his career down at 165. He was so entertaining when down at that weight. 

It's been really hard to get a feel where Tucker stands when his best win so far this season was against Sammy Alvarez. But I'll predict a 1 or 2 point win against anybody and a 1 or 2 point loss against anybody :)

CR and RPI came out. Really weird to see so few of our guys. Berreyesa, Loew and Darmstadt don't have enough matches at weight to have RPI calculated. Loew will if he wrestles today and tomorrow (I think). Are there any open tournaments left to get match count up? Is there any point for AQ allocations? Anyway, here's where our guys stand now:

133: Tucker #4 CR, #4 RPI
141: Baughman #21 RPI
149: Richard #29 CR, #29 RPI
174: Womack #23 RPI
184: Loew #28 CR
197: Darmstadt #3 CR