Sign in to follow this  
scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

On 10/28/2019 at 5:00 PM, red blades said:

Binghamton is still two weeks away, and is usually the unofficial opening of the Cornell season - but maybe we'll get a sneak-preview of a few guys this weekend?  Clarion Open, Brockport?  Any word out there?

FLWC guys registered at Sunday's Princeton Open include Reiniche (174), Foca (174), Cardenas (197), and Fernandes ("Cornell's future first HWT AA").

Lehigh RSFr (likely) Edmond Ruth is also entered at 174, for a possible look at a future rivalry.

I think that Track will be handling (brackets, dashboard, etc.) the tournament, and ESPN+ looks to have every mat covered.

Looks like Princeton is #15 and Cornell is behind at #18 in the Coaches Poll. Has Cornell been ranked this low in the Koll era? Did it ever finish behind Princeton? Maybe Max Dean can abandon his Olympic redshirt and save the day.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Has Cornell been ranked this low in the Koll era? Did it ever finish behind Princeton? Maybe Max Dean can abandon his Olympic redshirt and save the day.

Keep yer powder dry, NJ Dan - Cornell has always finished higher than the preseason rankings in the Koll era.  Rob's got s plan...

27 minutes ago, scribe said:

Good thing Dan isn't coach or he’d wrestle off dean and Darmstadt for 184. 

Nah, but I might out Ben back up at 197. It could be that Koll is playing for next year, which is fine.

I think Dean could beat anyone at 184 this year, except perhaps Valencia. I see that Ben is ranked #2 at 184 (Intermat), which surprises me. Maybe thats another reason to sit Dean out.

16 hours ago, klehner said:

FLWC guys registered at Sunday's Princeton Open include Reiniche (174), Foca (174), Cardenas (197), and Fernandes ("Cornell's future first HWT AA").

Lehigh RSFr (likely) Edmond Ruth is also entered at 174, for a possible look at a future rivalry.

I think that Track will be handling (brackets, dashboard, etc.) the tournament, and ESPN+ looks to have every mat covered.

thanks!

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Nah, but I might out Ben back up at 197. It could be that Koll is playing for next year, which is fine.

I think Dean could beat anyone at 184 this year, except perhaps Valencia. I see that Ben is ranked #2 at 184 (Intermat), which surprises me. Maybe thats another reason to sit Dean out.

Given that Darmstadt has beaten the #2 and #3 ranked guys at 197 (not to mention the #3 at 184), his ranking at 184 shouldn't surprise anyone.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I hope you’re not an investigative journalist. 

2 minutes ago, klehner said:

Given that Darmstadt has beaten the #2 and #3 ranked guys at 197 (not to mention the #3 at 184), his ranking at 184 shouldn't surprise anyone.

Perhaps I should concede that my surprise was due to being uninformed.

Has Darmstadt beaten Conel?

Anyhow, if he has beaten  the #2 and #3 ranked guys at 197, why not go 197? 

FWIW, I am also surprised that Kollin Moore is still in college. Seems like he has been around forever. But I think he is a bit more beatable than Valencia.

4 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Perhaps I should concede that my surprise was due to being uninformed.

Has Darmstadt beaten Conel?

Anyhow, if he has beaten  the #2 and #3 ranked guys at 197, why not go 197? 

FWIW, I am also surprised that Kollin Moore is still in college. Seems like he has been around forever. But I think he is a bit more beatable than Valencia.

He beat Conel at the South Beach Dual meet in 2017, 13-6 (and nearly got pinned while doing so).  He beat Brucki at the Princeton dual meet in 2018, 9-6.  He beat Rasheed
at the Bearcat in 2017, 8-4.

I'm guessing that at 184, his length will be an even bigger nightmare for opponents, who also will not be as strong as those at 197.  The latter was his weakness at 197 (no pun intended).

ETA:  Koll is not exaggerating when he says that Darmstadt can win the title at 184 this year.  Assuming he has regained his fitness from 2017-18, and the weight cut is manageable for him.

Edited by klehner

4 minutes ago, klehner said:

He beat Conel at the South Beach Dual meet in 2017, 13-6 (and nearly got pinned while doing so).  He beat Brucki at the Princeton dual meet in 2018, 9-6.  He beat Rasheed
at the Bearcat in 2017, 8-4.

I'm guessing that at 184, his length will be an even bigger nightmare for opponents, who also will not be as strong as those at 197.  The latter was his weakness at 197 (no pun intended).

ETA:  Koll is not exaggerating when he says that Darmstadt can win the title at 184 this year.  Assuming he has regained his fitness from 2017-18, and the weight cut is manageable for him.

Maybe Ben can win at 184. So can Max. Neither is a lock. But the team would be stronger with both guys wrestling. Meanwhile Max has no chance of making the Olympic team. So the only reason to sit him out is to make for a better team in the following years. 

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Maybe Ben can win at 184. So can Max. Neither is a lock. But the team would be stronger with both guys wrestling. Meanwhile Max has no chance of making the Olympic team. So the only reason to sit him out is to make for a better team in the following years. 

I would give Darmstadt a better chance than Dean of beating Valencia.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Darmstadt can beat Dean.

Cornell is going to have an insane traffic jam at 174 through 197 starting next year and for a few years after that.  Multiple AAs in Dean and Darmstadt, and top blue-chippers coming in off their greyshirts (like 5-6 really good recruits).

43 minutes ago, scribe said:

Hey dan. I noticed candy corn was on sale today. I’m going with day after Halloween sale. what do you think?

my advice to you is buy all you can and sell it to children next October. Good luck!

56 minutes ago, NJDan said:

So the only reason to sit him out is to make for a better team in the following years. 

I'd add also, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Dean (or anyone who has the opportunity) to go and train with the top guys at the OTC.

Edited by red blades

7 minutes ago, red blades said:

I'd add also, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Dean (or anyone who has the opportunity) to go and train with the top guys at the OTC.

This.  I don't understand the mindset of, if you are not likely to make the team there's no reason to take the ORS.

51 minutes ago, red blades said:

Fair enough. It could well help Dean. I was focusing on the team  But even for Dean, he would seem to have a good shot at an NCAA title this year. Next year, there could be a hotshot freshman in his path.

i think darmstadt is down to 184 because he can and because koll thinks our team is better with Loew / Fagan at 197 and Darmstadt at 184 than Darmstadt at 197 and whoever would be stepping in for 184 Dean is taking the year off because getting all the Olys an extra year should pay off in 2021 and 2022. Yianni, Dean and Ben will all have two years of eligibility left; Vito will have 3.

When I try to project the 2021 lineup why do I have a hard time trying to place who ends up at 149 if Yianni stays 141. I assume greg D steps into 125 right away and Vito goes 133.

Edited by Sublime607

25 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

When I try to project the 2021 lineup why do I have a hard time trying to place who ends up at 149 if Yianni stays 141. I assume greg D steps into 125 right away and Vito goes 133.

Josh Saunders?