scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

Some notes from the Bingo dual.

LaJoie and Baughman with very late takedowns to win. LaJoie match was surprising because the Bearcat was 1-16 coming in. Most losses are close, though, and he's a true freshman, so Frezza may see a huge improvement next year. Baughman, on the other hand, was facing Sparacio, a returning NQ, so a very good match to win.

Chris Schoenherr a career 149 gets a Senior Day start at 165 and wins by major.

Loew was out of his depth against Louie DePrez. 

Darmstadt looked like he was having trouble with Sam DePrez until he countered a DePrez shot and took him right to his back for a fall in 1:48.

Tucker gave up a late TD off of a scramble to go to OT (after nearly getting out at the buzzer to avoid it) but took Trampe down in SV to stay perfect on the season. All these close matches are giving me heartburn.

Edited by ugarte

2 hours ago, ugarte said:

Some notes from the Bingo dual.

Tucker gave up a late TD off of a scramble to go to OT (after nearly getting out at the buzzer to avoid it) but took Trampe down in SV to stay perfect on the season. All these close matches are giving me heartburn.

Tucker was toast by the end. But he got it done.  He has learned to counter the chestwrap defense to his double leg takedowns;  twice he converted them to his takedown.  One in spectacular fashion on his head.

3 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Darmstadt did not look like he was having trouble...Just an awkward match.(that only lasted 1:48)  It would have been the same result no matter the time. 

i don't want to overstate it; he was having trouble finding a shot and deprez was aggressively going at him and he had to hold him off. when darmy got leverage, it was over quickly.

Edited by ugarte

6 hours ago, klehner said:

Greg Diakomihalis, unsurprisingly,  won the Section V championship with two pins and two TFs.

When I look at the results I still cant get over 2 kids from the same school wrestling in the finals of the state qualifier so much has changed since my high school days.

1 hour ago, Sublime607 said:

When I look at the results I still cant get over 2 kids from the same school wrestling in the finals of the state qualifier so much has changed since my high school days.

Guys on the same team compete in the same tournaments in NY?

11 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Brandon Womack is entered at 174 in the Mat-Town II tournament at Lock Haven this coming Sunday.

Beat me to it!  Does Womack need a match within some 30 day range for something or other?

Hunter Richard is also entered.  I guess at 18-9 with a 24 RPI and a 30 CP, a couple of wins without a loss would put him over 70% WP and pretty likely to get a qualifier slot?

Cornell is there the day before, so it makes some sense.  Interesting to see who wrestles on Saturday between Berreyesa and Womack, and at which weight.  If Berreyesa goes
down to 165 and can hold that effectively, that would be quite meaningful at EIWAs.

(edit)

With Foca also there at 174, I wonder if they'll get them on opposite sides of the bracket. And the usual Ramirez/Foca/Cardenas gang will be there.

Edited by klehner

2 hours ago, klehner said:

Does Womack need a match within some 30 day range for something or other?

Bingo!  We have a winner!  In order to have a CP ranking you need to have wrestled within the last 30 days.

Also probably to get him some live action, and see how he holds up.  That might be the more important part.

Edited by jdalu75

2 hours ago, klehner said:

Beat me to it!  Does Womack need a match within some 30 day range for something or other?

Hunter Richard is also entered.  I guess at 18-9 with a 24 RPI and a 30 CP, a couple of wins without a loss would put him over 70% WP and pretty likely to get a qualifier slot?

Cornell is there the day before, so it makes some sense.  Interesting to see who wrestles on Saturday between Berreyesa and Womack, and at which weight.  If Berreyesa goes
down to 165 and can hold that effectively, that would be quite meaningful at EIWAs.

(edit)

With Foca also there at 174, I wonder if they'll get them on opposite sides of the bracket. And the usual Ramirez/Foca/Cardenas gang will be there.

I also wonder if FLWC guys will default to Cornell guys but I guess losing to them does not matter for NCAA purposes, right?

Just now, ugarte said:

I also wonder if FLWC guys will default to Cornell guys but I guess losing to them does not matter for NCAA purposes, right?

Shouldn't matter.  I forgot that any such match wouldn't count for RPI/CP/WP.  Still, I'm guessing they don't want Womack to face Foca first round, for either of
their sakes.  

If Womack comes back at 174, does Berreyesa really have his year burned for a dozen dual matches?  Or is there a plan for him at 165 for EIWAs?  Stay tuned...

3 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Those bouts won't count on their official record.  It's early yet so maybe more Div I guys will be signing up, but it sure looked like there were a lot of unrostered guys in the field.  That's not what some of the Div I guys want.

6 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Those bouts won't count on their official record.  It's early yet so maybe more Div I guys will be signing up, but it sure looked like there were a lot of unrostered guys in the field.  That's not what some of the Div I guys want.

if Cornell sends extra guys do matches against your teammates count

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

if Cornell sends extra guys do matches against your teammates count

Yes.

I've never understood that, though.  I've noticed that people who are from non-wrestling backgrounds are amazed that bouts against teammates count, while those within the wrestling community say "Of course they count!"  I grew up in New York City at a time when wrestling was what Bruno Sammartino did at the Garden, so I'm from the former.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:00 PM, ugarte said:

i don't want to overstate it; he was having trouble finding a shot and deprez was aggressively going at him and he had to hold him off. when darmy got leverage, it was over quickly.

Ironically, Sam's older brother Lou Deprez handily beat Darmstadt earlier this season (@ 184 lb.)

On 2/16/2020 at 8:57 AM, klehner said:

Greg Diakomihalis, unsurprisingly,  won the Section V championship with two pins and two TFs.

He goes for his 5th NYS state title next weekend. The big question is, will he redshirt his freshman year at Cornell? Anyone hear anything?

23 minutes ago, klehner said:

Greg,  Vito, Yianni, Saunders, Yapoujian, Ramirez/Berreyesa, Foca, Dean, Darmstadt/Cardenas, Fernandes.  That’s my guess.

Berreyesa back at 165 two years after he had problems holding it?