scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

1 minute ago, 12Cornell12 said:

Technically speaking, Greg is very good and on similar levels to these guys.  But wrestling at Cornell first means you have to get accepted into Cornell... so he needs to go to Tc3 first.

Kinda like Vito... Vito was very good, but didn't go straight in because he needed to get into Cornell first. 

Wait, what? I was always under the impression that the greyshirt guys had  been admitted and deferred. If they might not be admitted, aren't the greyshirt guys taking a helluva risk. Also, why would a year at a podunk JUCO help a guy get admitted?

27 minutes ago, red blades said:

Cornell vs. Lock Haven should be a pretty good dual - tonight at 6:00, Lock Haven site is showing live stream available here: https://www.golhu.com/coverage?start_date

Here's the projected matchups:

125        Dom LaJoie (14-16) vs. #13  Luke Werner (25-4)

133        #5 Chas Tucker (27-0) vs. DJ Fehlman (22-6)

141        Noah Baughman (21-10) vs. #22 Kyle Shoop (17-5)

149        Hunter Richard (19-9) vs. Brock Port (11-12) -OR- Collin Glorioso (7-4)

157        Adam Santoro (12-14) vs. .Alex Klucker (13-8)

165        Milik Dawkins (9-8) vs. Austin Bell (18-11)

174        Andrew Berreyesa (8-3) vs. Jared Siegrist (20-11)

184        Jonathan Loew (21-11) vs. Corey Hazel (8-6) -OR- Ray Bernot (6-18)

197        #5 Ben Darmstadt (23-6) vs. Parker McClellan (16-15)

HWT      Brendan Furman (17-11) vs. Trey Hartsock (5-12)

The lightweights will be quite competitive, but after 165 I think Cornell pulls away.

This will be an interesting match...

Let's not forget, Fehlman was the one that upset Chaz first round at NCAA's last year, so hopefully Chaz will be fired up and pulling the trigger today while looking for revenge.

Shoop is an All-American and a beast on top, but Noah has started to hit his stride, and I'm sure has been working on his bottom game, so I'm hoping he can get another quality win today.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Wait, what? I was always under the impression that the greyshirt guys had  been admitted and deferred. If they might not be admitted, aren't the greyshirt guys taking a helluva risk. Also, why would a year at a podunk JUCO help a guy get admitted?

Usually there is a split, half the guys are admitted and deferred, while the other guys are trying to get admitted.  Yes, it's a risk.  Sometimes people need 3 semesters at Tc3 to get in.  Joe Stanzione from a number of years ago was one of those guys that needed 3.  Sometimes, they don't get in (Tanner Cook at SDSU). 

Tc3 is one of the Top Community colleges, and Cornell likes transfer students.  Many times, students were good candidates in high school, but their SAT's or GPA were a bit too low, so Tc3 provides them an opportunity to show that they can succeed in college classes and convince admissions who were initially on the fence that they are worth admission.

12 minutes ago, 12Cornell12 said:

Usually there is a split, half the guys are admitted and deferred, while the other guys are trying to get admitted.  Yes, it's a risk.  Sometimes people need 3 semesters at Tc3 to get in.  Joe Stanzione from a number of years ago was one of those guys that needed 3.  Sometimes, they don't get in (Tanner Cook at SDSU). 

Tc3 is one of the Top Community colleges, and Cornell likes transfer students.  Many times, students were good candidates in high school, but their SAT's or GPA were a bit too low, so Tc3 provides them an opportunity to show that they can succeed in college classes and convince admissions who were initially on the fence that they are worth admission.

If this were the case, and it also appears that nearly all those who go through TC3 eventually matriculate at Cornell, doesn't this say that Cornell's admissions process misreads these applicants' ability to succeed in college classes?  That these candidates didn't actually need to show anything?

Premise:  half the wrestling candidates need to show they can succeed in college and are not accepted.

Fact:  nearly all such candidates convince admissions they are worth admission (you mention one counter-example, out of how many?)

Fact:  nearly all such candidates graduate on time (any examples of those who went the TC3 route, matriculated, and didn't graduate?)

Conclusion:  the premise is incorrect (that's not why they go to TC3) or pointless (the candidates in retrospect didn't have to convince anyone of anything)

Alternate Premises:  the candidates are accepted but are not prepared to start at Cornell (the TC3 experience better prepares them); choose to defer for reasons such as postponing the financial burden; better preparing for D1 competition; other reasons not off the top of my head.

26 minutes ago, 12Cornell12 said:

This is surprising; wonder it it's true. Does a kid going to a JUCO take the SAT again? And even if it's good JUCO, why would Cornell be impressed by a good GPA there?

1 hour ago, red blades said:

Cornell vs. Lock Haven should be a pretty good dual - tonight at 6:00, Lock Haven site is showing live stream available here: https://www.golhu.com/coverage?start_date

149        Hunter Richard (19-9) vs. Brock Port (11-12) -OR- Collin Glorioso (7-4)

The lightweights will be quite competitive, but after 165 I think Cornell pulls away.

Anyone else surprised to see Milik Dawkins in at 165?  

3 hours ago, RedFan said:

Anyone else surprised to see Milik Dawkins in at 165?  

I thought someone posted that 165 is something of an open weight, so I'm not surprised to see anybody here.  I was surprised to see Chris Schoenherr at 165 in the last two duals; his last work was at 149.  The question is it a one-dual cameo for a departing senior or is Dawkins really in the mix for an EIWA spot?

I'll be really surprised to see Stroker back next fall ....

9 hours ago, red blades said:

LHU takes 125, 141, and 157; Cornell wins 133 and 149.  A major decision for each, makes it 10-7 LHU at the break.

LHU picks up another decision at 174, but Cornell takes 165, 184, 197, and 285 with bonus points in the last three matches - 23-13 final team score.

Edited by red blades

Nice to see Darmstadt bounce back so well. Total domination.Tucker looked in full control. Also nice to see Dawkins get a win. Disappointed for Noah. Maybe a strong showing at EIWA can get him qualified.

A little concerned about Berreyesa lately.

Regarding the admissions questions, Cornell, like many colleges, is concerned with statistics of admitted freshmen, but transfers don't affect their stats, so they can be more flexible without looking less "elite" in their numbers. Get all A's in any decent CC and you can transfer to just about anywhere.

20 minutes ago, Softmats said:

Regarding the admissions questions, Cornell, like many colleges, is concerned with statistics of admitted freshmen, but transfers don't affect their stats, so they can be more flexible without looking less "elite" in their numbers. Get all A's in any decent CC and you can transfer to just about anywhere.

The University of Virginia is required to accept transfers from Virginia community colleges under a certain set of circumstances.  A 3.4 GPA is often quoted, but the list of requirements is more extensive than that ( https://admission.virginia.edu/sites/admission2016.virginia.edu/files/VCCS UVA Transfer Agreement Arts and Sciences.pdf ); still, it might be easier to get in that way than right from high school.  

Perhaps the state portion of Cornell is bound by a similar agreement in New York, and some students attend New York junior colleges hoping to qualify for Cornell.  TCCC would be a good option for wrestlers, since they could attend school and also work out at FLRTC.

Edited by jdalu75

Mat Town II

149:  Hunter Richard in an apparently unseeded bracket?

165:  Ramires again unseeded bracket

174:  #3 seedWomack/Pellumbini r16; might get Lehigh's Ruth in quarters; no Foca which should make Ruth happy

197:  #2 Cardenas

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Mat Town II

149:  Hunter Richard in an apparently unseeded bracket?

165:  Ramires again unseeded bracket

174:  #3 seedWomack/Pellumbini r16; might get Lehigh's Ruth in quarters; no Foca which should make Ruth happy

197:  #2 Cardenas

Some of the weights were unseeded.

31 minutes ago, klehner said:

Interesting.  What determines which weights get seeded and which don't?  Coaches desires for particular matchups?

has to be. richard needs one win against a D-I 149 to get to .700 win%. I'd be surprised if he wrestles more than that.

do matches against redshirts count? i don't think so, which could be tricky. pretty sure Richard's first match is against a Virginia RS, if he wins he faces the winner of a match between Rider RS and Lehigh RS, and if he gets to the semis the bracket he'd go up against is ... a Lock Haven wrestler and at least two redshirts.

womack is paired against teammate pellumbi then maybe ruth and if he's recovering from injury and only needs the match to keep an AQ for the conference I don't know if he'll do more than wrestle pellumbi.

Edited by ugarte

27 minutes ago, klehner said:

Interesting.  What determines which weights get seeded and which don't?  Coaches desires for particular matchups?

That does help a few of the seeds but I think there were only 3 of those requests.

The unseeded weights didn't need to have any separation. No expected ncaa qualifiers (or not more than 1). This kind of event is simply about getting the necessary number of matches not about finding out who was the actual 2nd or 3rd best kid at the weight (first usually works out no matter what).

4 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Richard won by major in his first match. Still not sure if it counts towards AQ criteria.

Bouts against redshirting wrestlers count; only bouts against non-rostered wrestlers don't count.

Next up is Paul Watkins, one of Lehigh's redshirting freshmen.  Richard should stay in (sounds kind of like Deal or No Deal, doesn't it?).

Edited by jdalu75

3 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Bouts against redshirting wrestlers count; only bouts against non-rostered wrestlers don't count.

Next up is Paul Watkins, one of Lehigh's redshirting freshmen.  Richard should stay in (sounds kind of like Deal or No Deal, doesn't it?).

thanks. why should he stay? what's the target or is it just to give a cushion for an at-large if things go wonky at EIWA.

Edited by ugarte

A .700 winning percentage is the bare minimum to have a shot at earning a pre-allocated spot.  The NCAA's sliding scale is designed to admit 29 automatics, no more but possibly less.  So the scale can be as low as .700 / 30 / 30; it's been as high as .730 / 27 / 27 during the past three years.  A wrestler with .706 / 29 / 32 probably has a 30% chance of winning a spot for his conference.  Push it higher and you have a better chance of earning a spot.

And it would help with an at-large bid, if it comes to that.

BTW, the EIWA has had some near misses in the past few years; I'm sure all conferences have.  I think it was two years ago when Army had a guy miss all three criteria by one (not that he had a .699 WP; one win would have put him over the winning percentage threshold).

1 minute ago, jdalu75 said:

BTW, the EIWA has had some near misses in the past few years; I'm sure all conferences have.  I think it was two years ago when Army had a guy miss all three criteria by one (not that he had a .699 WP; one win would have put him over the winning percentage threshold).

on the fringes of CR and RPI i'd say more wins for Richard is in order, yes. thanks.