scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

13 hours ago, Softmats said:

Nice to see Darmstadt bounce back so well. Total domination.Tucker looked in full control. Also nice to see Dawkins get a win. Disappointed for Noah. Maybe a strong showing at EIWA can get him qualified.

A little concerned about Berreyesa lately.

Regarding the admissions questions, Cornell, like many colleges, is concerned with statistics of admitted freshmen, but transfers don't affect their stats, so they can be more flexible without looking less "elite" in their numbers. Get all A's in any decent CC and you can transfer to just about anywhere.

Berreyesa used to do a lot of greco style stuff from neutral.  In the bouts I've seen him in since he's come back he's seemed to have abandoned that style for a more conventional folk style.  He seemed to do better with his former style.

17 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

A .700 winning percentage is the bare minimum to have a shot at earning a pre-allocated spot.  The NCAA's sliding scale is designed to admit 29 automatics, no more but possibly less.  So the scale can be as low as .700 / 30 / 30; it's been as high as .730 / 27 / 27 during the past three years.  A wrestler with .706 / 29 / 32 probably has a 30% chance of winning a spot for his conference.  Push it higher and you have a better chance of earning a spot.

And it would help with an at-large bid, if it comes to that.

Richard at .700/24/30 would be a decent, but not great chance at earning a spot?

2 minutes ago, ugarte said:

on the fringes of CR and RPI i'd say more wins for Richard is in order, yes. thanks.

I was surprised to see Bucknell's Drew Phipps in the 197 bracket.  He has an .812 winning percentage.  I just looked -- CP 29, RPI 29 in the last rankings.  This is his last chance to wrestle at NCAAs and the more spots the EIWA has at 197, the better his chances.  I'd bet money he's trying to boost one of his rankings a few notches.

4 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

Berreyesa used to do a lot of greco style stuff from neutral.  In the bouts I've seen him in since he's come back he's seemed to have abandoned that style for a more conventional folk style.  He seemed to do better with his former style.

i think he's having trouble getting unders against people who know his game

1 minute ago, klehner said:

Richard at .700/24/30 would be a decent, but not great chance at earning a spot?

The 24 is great.  The other two are marginal.  That would give him a 30% or so chance of earning a spot.

The weird thing is that .700 / 30 / 30 is better than .699 / 1 / 31.  The first gives a guy a 30% chance; the second gives him no chance.

52 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

The weird thing is that .700 / 30 / 30 is better than .699 / 1 / 31.  The first gives a guy a 30% chance; the second gives him no chance.

I thought silver status meant hitting the threshold at 2 out of 3 criteria?

10 minutes ago, red blades said:

I thought silver status meant hitting the threshold at 2 out of 3 criteria?

It does, although they've dropped the gold/silver/bronze tags this year.  In the first example, the wrestler hits all three, but just barely.  In the second example, the wrestler is at the top of one criterion and narrowly misses on the other two.  Even though the second guy is almost certainly the better wrestler, he's locked out of the AQs while the first guy has a chance.

57 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i am at a complete loss for how they are running this tournament. the weight class / round order seems random unless it is just being reported to flo haphazardly.

I know that Gimp is posting the results but he's at home, not in Lock Haven.  The results are being transmitted to him and he's posting.  I think what's going on is that they ran the R-32 rounds first; then the R-16 rounds in weights where they didn't have R-32 rounds; then the R-16 rounds in weights where they did have R-32 rounds.  I think they're doing quarters now in brackets that didn't have R-32 rounds.  And I don't know what's going on at 174.  The goal is to keep some guys from wrestling too frequently while others collect dust.

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

nobody mentioned it here, so ... who do we have coming in that was at Prep Nationals? i assume ivy/ncaa rules mean that Dean isn't allowed to name names.

the only one i could find was Nico Provo, a 2021 commit from Connecticut. Took 5th at 120 as the 3 seed. Lost in the semis on a TD with 4 seconds left to the 2 seed. Up 7-2 in the consolation semis against the 4 seed and was taken down to his back in the third period and then tilted from a gut for 8 points and a 10-8 loss. looked good before that TD though.

3 hours ago, ugarte said:

nobody mentioned it here, so ... who do we have coming in that was at Prep Nationals? i assume ivy/ncaa rules mean that Dean isn't allowed to name names.

Nico Provo at 120 was the only guy I recognized.

thinking about AQs for the conference:

125: 6, maybe 7 (CR/RPI: Glory, Colaccio, Curry, Treaster, Chalifoux; CR/W% Paetzell; Bubble: Manchio)

133: 3  (CR/RPI: Tucker, Cobb; CR/W%Trampe)

141: 3, but a lot of bubble guys (CR/RPI: Zapf, Profaci, Kazmir; Bubble: Sparacio, Baughman, Trybus, Pomrinca, Gil)

149: 5 (CR/RPI: Clarke, Richard; CR/W%: Kolodzik, Hoffman; RPI/W%: Kolonia)

157: 4, maybe 5 (CR/RPI: Monday, Hartman, Humphreys; Artalona; Bubble: Ladnier)

165: 6 (RPI/CR: Skidgel, Conigliaro, Hartman, McCormick, Jarrell; CR/W% Cuomo)

174: 3 (4 if Womack competes, one on the bubble) (RPI/CR: Kutler, Harvey, Carey; RPI/W%: Womack; Bubble: Heller)

184: 4, plus a few on the bubble (CR/RPI: DePrez, Weiler, Sewart, Harvey; Bubble: Stefanik, Loew, Davis)

197: 6 (CR/RPI: Brucki, Jakobsen, Brown, Phipps, Koser; CR/W%: Darmstadt)

285: 3 (CR/RPI: Wood, Slavikouski, Sullivan)

I used jdalu's EIWA Composite from last week to do this, so it doesn't reflect how the last week will affect CR and RPI. If a wrestler had a qualifying CR/RPI I didn't look at their record, but obviously many of them also have a qualifying winning %.  I also don't remember the match minimum for W% and assumed it was the same as to be in the CR. Trampe and Kolodzik come to mind as guys with gaudy win% but not many matches. For the bubble I basically had people in the 29-33 range of CR and/or RPI, considering wrestlestat's win% as well.

Now jdalu can correct me. Also, if he wanted to post a link to the latest AQ and at large criteria that would be great.

Edited by ugarte

10 hours ago, ugarte said:

Now jdalu can correct me. Also, if he wanted to post a link to the latest AQ and at large criteria that would be great.

I think the next rankings come out virtually at the same time the AQs are announced - maybe Wednesday?  They've got to get it done in time for the PAC Conference.

(Edit - sorry Ugarte, I misread - the selecton criteria can be found, I believe, in the Pre-championship Manual - here: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/wrestling/d1/men/2019-20D1MWR_PreChampsManual.pdf)

Edited by red blades

2 hours ago, red blades said:

I think the next rankings come out virtually at the same time the AQs are announced - maybe Wednesday?  They've got to get it done in time for the PAC Conference.

(Edit - sorry Ugarte, I misread - the selecton criteria can be found, I believe, in the Pre-championship Manual - here: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/wrestling/d1/men/2019-20D1MWR_PreChampsManual.pdf)

thanks - i didn't see that on the NCAA docs page

next CR/RPI comes out on Thursday, 2/27.

Edited by ugarte

16 hours ago, ugarte said:

I used jdalu's EIWA Composite from last week to do this, so it doesn't reflect how the last week will affect CR and RPI. If a wrestler had a qualifying CR/RPI I didn't look at their record, but obviously many of them also have a qualifying winning %.  I also don't remember the match minimum for W% and assumed it was the same as to be in the CR. Trampe and Kolodzik come to mind as guys with gaudy win% but not many matches. For the bubble I basically had people in the 29-33 range of CR and/or RPI, considering wrestlestat's win% as well.

I don't have a link, but I know that medical forfeits don't count towards win%.  Wrestlestat incorporates them in win percentage, but takes out non-DI competition.

Actually, med forfeits count in standalone win percentage, just not the win percentage used for RPI.  Which is different from the second win percentage that can be used to get into the at-large pool.

Before I figured that out I suspected it, and I actually used the phrase "No sane man would ... " set up a system like that, before I discovered that the NCAA already had.

BTW, Richard needed both wins yesterday to get to .700 D1 at weight; one of his earlier wins was over a prep guy.

Just now, jdalu75 said:

Actually, med forfeits count in standalone win percentage, just not the win percentage used for RPI.  Which is different from the second win percentage that can be used to get into the at-large pool.

Before I figured that out I suspected it, and I actually used the phrase "No sane man would ... " set up a system like that, before I discovered that the NCAA already had.

BTW, Richard needed both wins yesterday to get to .700 D1 at weight; one of his earlier wins was over a prep guy.

wrestlestats shows two w-l records for each wrestler:  the first is the "against everyone" record, and the second in parentheses is "against D1".  Hence Richard shows "22-9 (21-9)":  the second record is what gives him the .700.  So, yes, he needed two D1 wins yesterday and no losses.  Which he got.