Jump to content
scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ugarte said:

goddamn. stevo is a junior and still wrestling at 113. he's going to have to bulk up to wrestle as a freshman.

I think colleges are starting to shift recruiting 125 spots by looking more at 113 lbers and doing a prep year or RS year.  However, sometimes it doesn't work out so well...PJ Ogunsanya of Army was a 113 lber as a senior.  Had some struggles with 133 at the prep school!  Then struggled 133 his freshman year and transitioned to 141 and finally 149.  But Academies are different because they don't lose a scholly if they can't hold the weight.  

113 lbers are the new Career 125 "Prisoners of Weight" (POWs).      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sublime607 said:

Consider who he had a weight above him.. if state titles is the current goal 113 is where he needed to be.

speaking of which... the winner at 99 was Peter Duke, a 7th grader from Carmel. Can't win six if you don't start in 7th grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not too familiar with NYS multiple time state champs, but have there been any 4X or more state champs in NY that won a majority of titles above 140 lbs or more?  Although I don't know their number of championships, did Josh Etu or Griff Powell win 4 titles?  

I only ask because I am a NJ guy and even NJ guys somewhat diminished our 4 time champs (Grey and Ashnault) by lauding the achievement of Andrew Campolattano being a 4 timer in UPPER WEIGHTS (3x at 189 and 1x at 215).  Someone even said, "Campo won 4 state wrestling titles wrestling men, not children."  Maybe there is something to be said in terms of degree of difficulty, but I am a "relativity" guy.  It still takes you beating all the guys in your bracket to win a title.  

But I am curious about NYS wrestling history and if someone won 4 straight titles with at least 2 of them being in 140lb weight class or higher.  I would count 138 as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

I am not too familiar with NYS multiple time state champs, but have there been any 4X or more state champs in NY that won a majority of titles above 140 lbs or more?  Although I don't know their number of championships, did Josh Etu or Griff Powell win 4 titles?  

I only ask because I am a NJ guy and even NJ guys somewhat diminished our 4 time champs (Grey and Ashnault) by lauding the achievement of Andrew Campolattano being a 4 timer in UPPER WEIGHTS (3x at 189 and 1x at 215).  Someone even said, "Campo won 4 state wrestling titles wrestling men, not children."  Maybe there is something to be said in terms of degree of difficulty, but I am a "relativity" guy.  It still takes you beating all the guys in your bracket to win a title.  

But I am curious about NYS wrestling history and if someone won 4 straight titles with at least 2 of them being in 140lb weight class or higher.  I would count 138 as well.  

Hunter Richard at Cornell won three:

Was third in the state as a freshman at 126 pounds before winning titles at 138 as a sophomore, 145 as a junior and 152 as a senior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 4x NY state winners are (not including this year, if someone did it): 

Jesse Jantzen 1997-00

J.P. O'Connor 2003-06

Alex Ekstrom 2006-09

Arik Robinson 2008-11

Quinton Murphy 2008-12 (not '09) went from 103 to 138

Nick Piccininni 2012-15

Yianni 2013-16

Vito 2014-17

Frankie Gissendanner 2015-18 - Gissendanner was at 145 for his junior and senior seasons.

And obviously Nickerson, Busiello, Teemer and Greg D are the 5-timers. Teemer was 152 for his last but haven't looked up the first 4. 

Not looking up the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ugarte said:

The 4x NY state winners are (not including this year, if someone did it): 

Jesse Jantzen 1997-00

J.P. O'Connor 2003-06

Alex Ekstrom 2006-09

Arik Robinson 2008-11

Quinton Murphy 2008-12 (not '09) went from 103 to 138

Nick Piccininni 2012-15

Yianni 2013-16

Vito 2014-17

Frankie Gissendanner 2015-18 - Gissendanner was at 145 for his junior and senior seasons.

And obviously Nickerson, Busiello, Teemer and Greg D are the 5-timers. Teemer was 152 for his last but haven't looked up the first 4. 

Not looking up the others.

I appreciate the work!  Much more than I expected.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

I am not too familiar with NYS multiple time state champs, but have there been any 4X or more state champs in NY that won a majority of titles above 140 lbs or more?  Although I don't know their number of championships, did Josh Etu or Griff Powell win 4 titles?  

But I am curious about NYS wrestling history and if someone won 4 straight titles with at least 2 of them being in 140lb weight class or higher.  I would count 138 as well.  

Frankie Gissendanner won 4 NYS titles - the first at 138, and the last 3 at 145.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

Ah yes!  I remember reading about that.  Where did he end up?  

He was red-shirting at Rider University, but dropped out about a year ago. Last I heard, he was wrestling at a community college in NY. Not sure what his current plans are. but his collegiate career is not off to the start I would have expected. He's a good wrestler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wrestleFan12 said:

He was red-shirting at Rider University, but dropped out about a year ago. Last I heard, he was wrestling at a community college in NY. Not sure what his current plans are. but his collegiate career is not off to the start I would have expected. He's a good wrestler.

Ok, it’s coming back to me.  I remember the Rider commitment then I saw him at NYS intercollegiates wrestling for a CC. Not sure if it was Nassau or Niagra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jessie Jantzen won his first at 119 that was the lowest and most impressive because NY was still a single champion state then. I don't need to comment on the rest because I know the answer is mostly 96 pounds for the first title.

Edited by Sublime607

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ugarte said:

lol I wasn't correcting his spelling I was saying niagara, not nassau

Niagra is now a common misspelling of Niagara, although spellcheck just tried to correct me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lineup for Easterns is posted:

125 Dom LaJoie (14-17)

Has ranked as high as #25 on FloWrestling this season

133 #5 Chas Tucker (28-0)

Owns a 9-0 record against ranked opponents this season

141 Noah Baughman (21-11)

EIWA placewinner in 2017 and 2018 ... 7-2 career record at EIWAs

149 Hunter Richard (22-9)

Has won 11 of his last 13 matches, with seven via bonus point wins

157 Adam Santoro (12-15)

Owns a 47-39 career record for the Big Red ... Making second trip to EIWAs

165 Milik Dawkins (10-8)

Won wrestle-off to represent Big Red at EIWAs ... First time at EIWAs

174 Brandon Womack (13-5)

EIWA champion at 165 pounds in '17 ... 3x EIWA placewinner

184 #25 Jon Loew (22-11)

Finished 10-8 in duals ... Posted 13 victories with bonus points

197 #4 Ben Darmstadt (24-6)

EIWA champion at 197 pounds in '18 ... 9th all-time at Cornell with 31 pins

HWT Brendan Furman (18-11)

First-time competitor at EIWAs ... Winner of five straight entering weekend

Full article here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Show_Me said:

So Berreyesa came out of Redshirt to not wrestle post-season.  I don't pretend to know all the circumstances, but it seems odd. 

I don't see him starting next year tbh. imo if Womack couldn't come back by the postseason was basically Berreyesa's last chance with Foca coming in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Show_Me said:

So Berreyesa came out of Redshirt to not wrestle post-season.  I don't pretend to know all the circumstances, but it seems odd. 

Koll is going for coach of the year. First is telling Darmstadt, “I think you can win NCAAs at 184.”  

 

The second great decision on the year was what you said.  

the third genius decision was koll telling Bama, “I think 174 is the best weight for you.  165 is too much of a cut with someone of your frame.  BTW, tell Darmstadt to come see me.  I want to talk to him about how his frame is perfect for 184. ”

next thing we will hear from Koll is that Greg D will take a gap year.  Vito stays at 125 to open up a slot for...nobody...at 133.  It’s not like a lineup of Greg, Vito, Saunders, yianni, as the first 4 would be good.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 3:37 PM, ugarte said:

The 4x NY state winners are (not including this year, if someone did it): 

Jesse Jantzen 1997-00

J.P. O'Connor 2003-06

Alex Ekstrom 2006-09

Arik Robinson 2008-11

Quinton Murphy 2008-12 (not '09) went from 103 to 138

Nick Piccininni 2012-15

Yianni 2013-16

Vito 2014-17

Frankie Gissendanner 2015-18 - Gissendanner was at 145 for his junior and senior seasons.

And obviously Nickerson, Busiello, Teemer and Greg D are the 5-timers. Teemer was 152 for his last but haven't looked up the first 4. 

Not looking up the others.

Troy Nickerson (2001-2005): 96, 103, 112, 119 (2004 was the year NYS split into 2 divisions with Nickerson being D1, the harder one to win of the 2), and 125

Adam Busiello (2015-2019): was a finalist his 7th grade year at 99 and got pinned by Jacori Teemer in one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in person. 99, 106, 120, 126, and 138

Jacori Teemer (2014-2018): 99, 106 (one of the most stacked NYS brackets I've ever seen), 126, 132, and 152

Greg D (2016-2020): 99, 113, 113, 113, and 120

All the 5-timers are D1 guys which is mind blowing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

the third genius decision was koll telling Bama, “I think 174 is the best weight for you.  165 is too much of a cut with someone of your frame.  BTW, tell Darmstadt to come see me.  I want to talk to him about how his frame is perfect for 184. ”

next thing we will hear from Koll is that Greg D will take a gap year.  Vito stays at 125 to open up a slot for...nobody...at 133.  It’s not like a lineup of Greg, Vito, Saunders, yianni, as the first 4 would be good.  

Was thinking the same thing. With everyone so sure that next year will be a walk in the park for Cornell, are we sure Koll won't coach it away? His decisions this year were just baffling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one has said next year will be a walk in the park.  

Much about Berreyesa’s time I’m the Cornell roster has been weird.  I think there is a lot more to the story.  But feel free assume it is all on Koll.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...