scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

7 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

Koll is going for coach of the year. First is telling Darmstadt, “I think you can win NCAAs at 184.”  

The second great decision on the year was what you said.  

the third genius decision was koll telling Bama, “I think 174 is the best weight for you.  165 is too much of a cut with someone of your frame.  BTW, tell Darmstadt to come see me.  I want to talk to him about how his frame is perfect for 184. ”

next thing we will hear from Koll is that Greg D will take a gap year.  Vito stays at 125 to open up a slot for...nobody...at 133.  It’s not like a lineup of Greg, Vito, Saunders, yianni, as the first 4 would be good.  

I'm surprised that Rob Koll allows you in the room when he has these discussions.

Were you there when he told Vito to stay at 125, or when he asked Honis to cut back to 197?  How'd those work out for them?

1 hour ago, klehner said:

I'm surprised that Rob Koll allows you in the room when he has these discussions.

Were you there when he told Vito to stay at 125, or when he asked Honis to cut back to 197?  How'd those work out for them?

No but I was there to watch Ben Honis try to move up to heavyweight in 2018 and struggle at that. Darmstadt to 184 was disaster from the start. I agree with @Cptafw164, if his decisions to cut weight are so full proof like you believe, why has he never asked Womack to move back down to 165?

1 hour ago, nom said:

No one has said next year will be a walk in the park.  

Much about Berreyesa’s time I’m the Cornell roster has been weird.  I think there is a lot more to the story.  But feel free assume it is all on Koll.

You're right no walk in the park, but it will seriously be difficult. As for Berreyesa I really haven't understood the last two years. Solid recruit out of high school and has shown flashes in the duals that he's wrestled but feel like he really hasn't developed anything in the room since HS.

4 minutes ago, kyleinthecircle said:

No but I was there to watch Ben Honis try to move up to heavyweight in 2018 and struggle at that. Darmstadt to 184 was disaster from the start. I agree with @Cptafw164, if his decisions to cut weight are so full proof like you believe, why has he never asked Womack to move back down to 165?

Straw man argument:  I never said his decisions to cut weight are so fool-proof.  How did his swapping Palacio and Realbuto turn out for them?

Honis couldn't beat Darmstadt at 197:  should he have just not wrestled, or try to fit in at 285 as best he could? 

Maybe Koll and Womack *together* decided that he would prefer 174?  We can ask Capt. Army, since he was there.

2 hours ago, klehner said:

Honis couldn't beat Darmstadt at 197

Actually they are 1-1 lifetime with Honis getting the most recent win by major I believe.

3 hours ago, kyleinthecircle said:

Or Darmstadt just outperformed him.

how is this different than what klehner said? Darmstadt was the better 197. Honis would have been the best Heavy on Cornell's roster imo but as soon as Darmstadt got hurt, Koll had Honis go back to 197.

1 hour ago, Ragu said:

Actually they are 1-1 lifetime with Honis getting the most recent win by major I believe.

it's true, in darmstadt's greyshirt - 2017 - they split.

In 2018, when Darmstadt got to Cornell, he was named the starter. He had one loss in the regular season before a semi-slide to 6th at NCAA. That same year, Honis went 7-3 as his backup at 197 and started experimenting as a very light 285 to mixed results (kept things close but mostly lost).

In 2019, Honis spent the offseason bulking up only to have to shed back to 197 when Darmstadt got hurt. But for Darmstadt's lost year, it worked out pretty well.

Edited by ugarte

Regardless, I see Darmstadt getting it done this weekend as well as Tucker as EIWA champions. Not sure about how the others but as far as bubble guys I think Baughman and Richard get it done. Loew could but Stefanik has looked so good lately. If he qualifies, Cornell will have 6 to nationals. If not I predict 5.

33 minutes ago, kyleinthecircle said:

Regardless, I see Darmstadt getting it done this weekend as well as Tucker as EIWA champions. Not sure about how the others but as far as bubble guys I think Baughman and Richard get it done. Loew could but Stefanik has looked so good lately. If he qualifies, Cornell will have 6 to nationals. If not I predict 5.

So Darmstadt, Tucker, Baughman  Richard -- maybe Lowe -- makes 6 ?????

30 minutes ago, kyleinthecircle said:

7 minutes ago, tjhart said:

i think he's also including womack. i'd also put a maybe on lajoie because the conference is sending 7 at 125.

Kollin Moore

* Only concern is How good is Noah Adams this year

* Darmstadt can give people fits if he has his match and you roll around your in trouble 

Edited by cangemi

9 minutes ago, tjhart said:

And obviously Womack, who has the "gold status" as he meets all three criteria for a bid. Didn't think I had to list him, as he is pretty much a shoo-in whether he gets top 4 or not.

3 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i think he's also including womack. i'd also put a maybe on lajoie because the conference is sending 7 at 125.

Could definitely see Lajoie stealing that 7th spot, as he already has the wins of Manchio and Hellickson. Depends on where he gets drawn into the bracket.

29 minutes ago, kyleinthecircle said:

Womack ... is pretty much a shoo-in whether he gets top 4 or not.

i'm actually not sure about this because i think if he is still recovering and goes 0-2 his CR is already only 25 and will drop and his post-EIWA win% would fall under 70%.

1 hour ago, cangemi said:

Kollin Moore

* Only concern is How good is Noah Adams this year

* Darmstadt can give people fits if he has his match and you roll around your in trouble 

Noah Adams likes to roll around. I suppose the Big 12 will be a good litmus....

8 hours ago, ugarte said:

Meanwhile, Cornell has two recruits in PIAA (if there are more, let me know. 

Gage McClenahan at 145 (AA) had a 19 second fall in his first match: https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6587415-2020-piaa-individual-state-wrestling-championship/videos?playing=6726941&limit=60 and he's into the QF.

Cole Handlovic at 145 (AAA) hasn't wrestled yet

Handlovic MD 12-4. 5 TD and a reversal. On to the QF.

47 minutes ago, RedFan said:

Darmstadt moved to #2, Jakobsen now at #3

That means, if seeds hold - It'll be Jacobsen vs. AWP's Brown in quarters.  And at 149, Hoffman vs Ogunsanya.

(Wait for him - 5... 4... 3... 2... )

Edited by red blades

53 minutes ago, RedFan said:

Darmstadt moved to #2, Jakobsen now at #3

Furman dropped to #7

Navy's Prince in at #5, Kolodzik still #4

http://wrestlingreport.com/current_news/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63500

Well, that was the right thing to do at 197, separating Darmstadt & Brucki.

But what are the Navy Coaches thinking by requesting or accepting a #5 Seed for Prince.  Worst case scenario IMO.

44 minutes ago, red blades said:

That means, if seeds hold - It'll be Jacobsen vs. AWP's Brown in quarters.

(Wait for him - 5... 4... 3... 2... )

Edited by Show_Me
Went to WR to see other Seed changes at 197