scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

3 hours ago, 9insoft said:

Fun fact ofthe day: Darmstadt will be wrestling his childhood friend from the neighborhood in semi’s today. Biddy, Club, and HS, they have been drill partners since 3/4th grade, state champs together, fargo roommates, AA’s...

They have never wrestled each other in competition....

Interesting info thanks for sharing... worries me that Darm might have a match on his hands since his opponent should be familiar with his style 

Tucker, Richard, Darmsdadt in the finals.

LaJoie, Baughman, Santoro, Loew, Furman in Consi-Semis (no worse than 6th)

Dawkins wrestling for 7th.

So far four qualified (finalists plus LaJoie). The remaining four in the consi-semis have a shot. Baughman can still qualify in 5th but the others all have to win their consi-semi to qualify. Dawkins is out and won't get an at-large bid so this is the end of his Cornell career.

For the upcoming session:

LaJoie vs. Curry (American)  https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/49112/lajoie-dominic/44583/curry-gage

Baughman vs. Pomrinca (Lehigh)  https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/39667/pomrinca-ryan/44749/baughman-noah

Santoro vs. Hartman (Army)  https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/50585/hartman-markus/46089/santoro-adam

Dawkins vs. Fitzpatrick (American) https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/57254/fitzpatrick-timothy/41360/dawkins-milik

Loew vs. Stewart (Army)  https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/44599/stewart-noah/51080/loew-jonathan

Furman vs. Doyle (Binghamton) Furman has two 1pt victories https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/49050/doyle-joe/49113/furman-brendan

All reasonable matchups but Santoro will have his hands full.

47 minutes ago, Red95 said:

Baughman wins on a last-second SV takedown and finally punches his ticket to NCAAs in his senior year! 

45 minutes ago, klehner said:

noah is headed to the big dance!

I cannot think of anyone who deserves it more. Congrats Noah!

So headed into the final session we have five qualified for NCAAs, one more still alive to qualify, and one on the bubble for at large. So a min of 5 and max of 7. Interestingly while the ORS would have changed the point total, having them on the roster would have only resulted in one more likely qualifier (Dean at 184). We have some work to do at the middle weights 157-174. It will be interesting to see who steps up next year. 

I think Loew and Womack are both on the bubble but it depends in the number of OOC upsets cramping the at large pool. Loew finishing 5th would help him a lot. 

9 medalists is so cool. 8 bids would be unreal. 

Edited by ugarte

Loew gets a measure of revenge on Stefanik, 4-3.

And Darmstadt wins by major decision 11-0 to lock in 2nd place for Cornell.

And Furman wins his 3rd place match 7-2 - he's going to NCAA's!

Edited by red blades

Furman punches his ticket with a dominant top performance - something like 4:43 of riding time.

And Cornell finishes in 2nd, well behind Lehigh but also well ahead of Princeton who finishes in 5th behind Army and Navy.

2 champs, 1 2nd, 2 3rds, 15th, 2 6ths, 1 7th. I would have to say that exceeds expectations going into this weekend.

6 automatic qualifiers based on placement: LaJoie, Tucker, Baughman, Richard, Darmsdadt, Furman. Two more on the bubble - Loew in 5th (4 qualifiers) and Bama (DNP but solid credentials). Santoro and Dawkins out.

EIWA 2nd place.

Pretty darn good for a year with some studs out of the lineup.

Holy cow

125: LaJoie loses takes 6th but that's enough. Going to NCAAs.

133: Tucker. Champ. Going to NCAAs.

141: Baughman wins again. Third. Going to NCAAs.

149: Richard finished in second. Going to NCAAs.

157: Santoro finished in 6th.

165: Dawkins finished in 7th.

174: Womack didn't place. On the bubble for a wild card.

184: Loew finished in 5th. On the bubble for a wild card.

197: Darmstadt. Champ. Going to NCAAs.

285: Furman. THIRD PLACE! GOING TO NCAAS!

6 autobids. 2 on the bubble. And the Big Red finished in second place. Incredible. 

I'm floating.

Edited by ugarte

16 minutes ago, Red95 said:

2 champs, 1 2nd, 2 3rds, 15th, 2 6ths, 1 7th. I would have to say that exceeds expectations going into this weekend.

6 automatic qualifiers based on placement: LaJoie, Tucker, Baughman, Richard, Darmsdadt, Furman. Two more on the bubble - Loew in 5th (4 qualifiers) and Bama (DNP but solid credentials). Santoro and Dawkins out.

EIWA 2nd place.

Pretty darn good for a year with some studs out of the lineup.

I would have to agree.  "Rag tag team hanging around."

13 hours ago, ugarte said:

A finalist in each PIAA 145 division who should have fun together at FLWC next year figuring out their weights. 

And both of them win with strong top game.  McClenahan wins 1-0 on the strength of a 3rd period rideout. Handlovic wins 3-2 on a third period takedown and a 1:40 ride to the final whistle (that included a pair of stalling calls).

Caught up on some of the stuff I didn't get to watch. Baughman's 12-11 consolation win over Gil was amazing. If you haven't watched it yet... I insist. Baughman avoided a pin in the first period by sheer squirmy will and Cornell had to challenge to take a Gil escape off the board that happened either right before or right after the final whistle.

Then Baughman followed it up with an incredible scramble to turn a Pomrinca shot with around 10 seconds left in SV to his own takedown at the whistle that withstood a Lehigh challenge. Cornell bench reaction to the call getting confirmed was awesome. (I'm not positive but if you listen to the Shie-Gil 7th place match, I think they're discussing the video review and the general tenor of the conversation was "we can't really tell and couldn't reverse." The crowd noise was really intervening with some hot mic conversation I was desperately trying to hear!)

The Richard - Kolodzik final was great too. Kolodzik absolutely should have been hit with another stall for fleeing the mat but tbh I don't think it would have mattered. Richard's scrambling to avoid at least two takedowns was incredible but he never came close to generating any offense himself. Really entertaining match, though, until Kolodzik shirted into reverse. 

One last thought: according to SHP, 174 and 184 only had 1 bid stolen apiece. That really improves the chances for Womack and Loew. After looking over their seasons, Loew probably has the better shot of the two.

Afte this showing, Koll has to at least be in the conversation for coach of the year. I don't care if he wins the whole shooting match next year, this performance with this team was impressive 

2 hours ago, tjhart said:

Afte this showing, Koll has to at least be in the conversation for coach of the year. I don't care if he wins the whole shooting match next year, this performance with this team was impressive 

Go back a year, after 2019 NCAAs.  If told that the qualifiers for the 2020 NCAAs would be Lajoie, Tucker, Baughman, Richard, Darmstadt, and Furman, you'd have said you were on some bad drugs.  Tucker and Darmstadt might be the only ones in the group who sniff the NCAAs more than once.  Of course, there are those who say he was the worst coach in the country with the 184/197 switching, letting Womack ever go to 174, and whatever was going on with Berreyesa.

Re coach of the year:  even with Lajoie being gifted an upset pin of the Penn wrestler, and Furman the injury to Sullivan (or so it appears), Cornell likely still finishes third (Army probably passes them with more points from Sullivan) with what most people thought of as the JV squad (with 3-4 exceptions).

Seems we are in agreement on Koll's efforts this year. Hard to say what happened with Womack. Not sure "letting" him do it was the case. Same could be said for Darmstadt and his weight slotting. As to Darmstadt and Tucker being the only to make NCAAs more than once...

again, I think you might be selling Richard short.

My opinion is that Cornell wrestled about as good a tournament as it could have, given its lineup situation.  I figured them for maybe 90 points before the tournament.  I think it shows that wrestling in a major program and competing against major opponents definitely helps a wrestler lacking top-tier talent improve (provided he doesn't get killed in the process).

It was kind of painful to watch Womack.  His weight, face, and singlet, but not him out there.  He had a wrap on one shoulder throughout, but I have to think that's just part of the problem.  Years ago I saw Mike Brown's senior year deteriorate at the end as a pinched nerve in his neck caused him increasing problems.  By the time EIWAs ended he was wrestling with one arm.  Womack reminded me of that.

For much of the tournament I sat near Bill Stecklein, a retired referee who was helping Greg Strobel out while Greg's recovering from a bad biking accident.  He commented on the neat move Manchio used on LaJoie early in their semis bout.  I told him that LaJoie never ran out of gas and had won bouts during the year by wrestling to the end.  When he was down 7-0 I told Stecklein that it wasn't over.  LaJoie made me look brilliant, almost pulled it out while Manchio held on for dear life.

On 3/4/2020 at 11:54 PM, Cptafw164 said:

Koll is going for coach of the year. First is telling Darmstadt, “I think you can win NCAAs at 184.”  

The second great decision on the year was what you said.  

the third genius decision was koll telling Bama, “I think 174 is the best weight for you.  165 is too much of a cut with someone of your frame.  BTW, tell Darmstadt to come see me.  I want to talk to him about how his frame is perfect for 184. ”

next thing we will hear from Koll is that Greg D will take a gap year.  Vito stays at 125 to open up a slot for...nobody...at 133.  It’s not like a lineup of Greg, Vito, Saunders, yianni, as the first 4 would be good.  

With all due respect... This post just shows your ignorance.

Darmstadt, after taking an injured year, was naturally weighing below 197, in the lower 190's.  So it was his idea to try 184, not Koll's.

When Berreysa came back, the thought was that Bama was out for the entire season with a season ending injury/surgery.  Bama then was able to recover, something nobody saw, and thus the team had to adjust.

Bama was too big, weighing close to 200lbs, and refused to go 165 because it was a huge cut for him.  It wasn't Koll's decision at all.  

And, as I've said before, Greg D WILL be taking a gap year, because he did not get into Cornell right away.  Rumor has it that Saunders also might need a gap year to get into Cornell as well.