scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

Womack and Loew may have a shot - relatively few of the AQ earners for their conferences failed to qualify via their conference tournaments at 174 (4) and 184 (3). There are 4 at large slots at 174 and 5 at 184.

174: Brandon Womack, Cornell (Michael O’Malley, Drexel); Mason Eaglin, Duke (Cody Hughes, Virginia Tech); Jacob Oliver, Edinboro (Jared Siegrist, Lock Haven); Hayden Hastings, Wyoming (Joseph Smith, Oklahoma State)

184: Trevor Allard, Bloomsburg (Antonio Agee, Old Dominion); Owen Webster, Minnesota (Max Lyon, Purdue); Colt Doyle, Oregon State (Josh Loomer, CSU Bakersfield)

https://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com/2020/03/06/who-earned-automatic-bids-for-their-conference-but-needs-an-at-large/

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2020-02-27/ncaa-reveals-qualifier-allocations-2020-ncaa-di-wrestling

Edited by Red95

Today on the flowrestling podcast Mike Grey was mentioned as a potential head coach for Oregon State but they didn't see him as a good fit. What does everyone think? I don't really see him as a good fit either since he is from Jersey and I don't see him relocating to the PNW where he doesn't have any connections really.

7 minutes ago, klehner said:

Wow.  Koll and Womack (and of course everyone else) must be ecstatic.  Assuming Womack isn't HEW.

I'm happy for both of them (Loew and Womack) to at least be making the trip - what an experience to say you've been there.

Now lets hope the event can go forward...

Edited by red blades

11 minutes ago, red blades said:

I'm happy for both of them (Loew and Womack) to at least be making the trip - what an experience to say you've been there.

Now lets hope the event can go forward...

Yup - and if it goes forward it could be a very quiet football stadium.

Belated congrats to Baughman . As someone observed earlier, had to have been frustrating when he was at 125 and the only AQ spot was the defending NC.

btw, why do you guys have a 41 page topic? You can start a new thread "Cornell at NCAAs" anytime. ;)

Not very good turnout at EIWAs in the Cornell section. Fair weather fans? Hope to see more next year. lol

21 minutes ago, Asa Packer said:

Belated congrats to Baughman . As someone observed earlier, had to have been frustrating when he was at 125 and the only AQ spot was the defending NC.

btw, why do you guys have a 41 page topic? You can start a new thread "Cornell at NCAAs" anytime. ;)

Not very good turnout at EIWAs in the Cornell section. Fair weather fans? Hope to see more next year. lol

I was sitting in the Lehigh section (closer to the center of the arena).

22 minutes ago, Asa Packer said:

For sure. I was so happy to see that.

Can we get Vito's dad to root our guys on? ;>) I love hearing him over the ESPN feed.

29 minutes ago, Asa Packer said:

And the prior year he hit Cruz in the semis before finishing third in a two-bid conference without true second. I was hoping he'd finally pull it off all year. Three years in the starting lineup, three top-three finishes, finally a trip to the big dance.

47 minutes ago, Asa Packer said:

"I'm banking my hall passes for next year." ok, just bring scribe. :roll:

"I was sitting in the Lehigh section (closer to the center of the arena)." Wearing your best red shirt? :P

As a matter of fact, I was wearing my Cornell Wrestling shirt...under my other shirt.

I stood out in the cold for 15 minutes on Saturday morning so as to get a seat in a mostly Lehigh section on the aisle in the last row of the blue seats so that nobody would jam their knees into the back of my seat,, drape their coat over me or spill their food on me, only to be told that the last row of the blue seats on both sides of the arena - though unmarked- are for the handicapped.  So I migrated to an aisle seat in the second row of the yellow seats among a group of Columbia fans and across from some Army fans.  The Hartmans and the Werts were not happy.

Hate to miss my 1st NCAA in 6 years with my Cornell Family but due to medical reasons cant make the trip

Any reasonable offer Section 113 Row 19 Seat 1

Well thanks for the emails and replies.... Ty I found out earlier today

Edited by dqstyle

Well I guess you're good since everyone is getting a refund...

And how about those seeds? Oof. Hard to argue with them but another reminder of how tough this tournament is.

1 hour ago, red blades said:

Brackets are up here: https://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/public/files/NCAA_D1_2020.pdf

LaJoie wrestles Meninno in the pigtail.

Tucker draws DJ Fehlman ist round - no way that can be arbitrary!

And the winner of that pigtail gets Spencer Lee.

When I saw the 133 bracket, I figured they had mistakenly posted the 2019 bracket...

And once again, Womack draws a killer in the first round.  A few years ago it was Bo Jordan; this year it's Kutler.

Loew gets Hidlay first round, Darmstadt hopefully gets Moore in the semis.

Typed this out on the Cornell hockey forum so I may as well put it here. 

*blithely pretending the tournament won't be cancelled*

So, the brackets are out for the NCAA tournament. Let's see how they look for the Big Red.

125: No surprise as Dom LaJoie is the 32 seed in a 33 man field. He won a pair at EIWA to qualify for the tournament but lost his next three to slide to 6th place and has a losing record on the season. His opponent? The 33 seed, Antonio Maninno (Drexel), who LaJoie beat in OT to qualify for the tournament. It is also no surprise that Maninno is LaJoie's opponent in this pigtail match since he ALSO has a losing record on the season. The winner of this match has the privilege of getting absolutely wrecked in the first round by #1 Spencer Lee. If he loses to Maninno, he'll almost certainly face Logan Griffin of Michigan State. He lost to Griffin's backup earlier this season, so that's not great. After that, he'll get pinned or teched by Lee (sorry) and then face the loser of Nick Aguilar (Rutgers), who beat him 10-5 earlier this year and Jacob Schwarm (Northern Iowa) a 3x national qualifier. There are no good paths as the 32 seed.

133: Chas Tucker indeed received the 3 seed and the committee decided to have a little fun. His first round opponent is DJ Fehlman (Lock Haven), who upset Tucker in the first round at last year's tournament. Tucker beat Fehlman this year but he also beat him in the regular season last year. Was it on purpose? Who is to say. If he wins he faces the winner of #14 Ridge Lovett (Wisconsin) and #19 Allan Hart (Missouri). If he loses his opening bout, he faces the loser of that match. He'd be the favorite over either but both are going to be tough matches. The #6 wrestler is Austin DeSanto (Iowa). When DeSanto was a freshman at Drexel he beat Tucker in a dual meet but Tucker got him back in the EIWA semifinals. DeSanto is incredibly talented but a real jerk on the mat. I want to see Tucker beat him. It's going to be a great match.

141: Another match that makes you think the committee is messing around. Baughman gets the 22 seed and will face #11 Zach Sherman, who he beat in SV at the North Carolina dual. Up next would be either 2x All-American #6 Chad Red (Nebraska) or #27 Cole Matthews (Pitt).

149: #25 Hunter Richard has #8 Jarrett Degen (Iowa State) in the first round. Degen beat him last year. The winner faces either #9 Collin Purinton (Nebraska) or #24 Russell Rohlfing (Bakersfield). Richard hasn't faced either.

174: #30 Brandon Womack will face #3 Jordan Kutler (Lehigh). Kutler has won all three of their meetings. Up next would be either #14 Clay Lautt (N. Carolina) or #19 Kimball Bastian (Utah Valley). He's never faced Lautt but Bastian knocked him out of the 2018 NCAA tournament. Would be nice to get revenge but I'm not sure that Womack is fully recovered from his December injury. I definitely didn't expect him to make the tournament. He can pin anyone but he never did quite learn neutral defense.

184: #28 Jonathan Loew takes on #5 Trent Hidlay (NC State). Hidlay majored him last year when both were taking a gap year. Up next would either be #12 Zack Carlson (S. Dakota St.) or #21 Billy Janzer (Rutgers) both of who beat Loew earlier this season. I hope Loew has revenge on his mind.

197: Couldn't really expect a higher seed than #4 for Ben Darmstadt after he lost to an unranked wrestler from North Carolina. Otherwise he's been a buzzsaw at 197. He opens against #29 Hunter Ritter (Minnesota) and then follows with either #13 Thomas Lane (Cal-Poly), - who Ben Honis beat last year in the blood round to get All American - or #20 JT Brown (Army), who was Darmstadt's high school teammate and he's known since they were little kids. Darmstadt won 6-1 in the EIWA semis last week.

285: #28 Brendan Furman has a really tough path, as you'd expect for #28. First, #5 Matt Stencel (C. Michigan.), a returning All American. Up next, either #12 Josh Hokit (Fullerton) - another All American, or #21 David Jensen (Nebraska).

As you can see, aside from Tucker and Darmstadt, the next best seed is #22 Baughman. That explains how shocking and cool it was for Cornell to put 8 guys in the field. We are unlikely to rack up many team points outside of our big two but if last week showed us anything... you never know. Let's Go Red!

Unless the tournament was called off while I was typing.