scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

From Coach Koll:

It has been a crazy couple days. We just got back the EIWA’s after having a fantastic tournament, then found out that we received two wildcards, meaning we are taking eight to NCAA’s. I do not believe I could be prouder of this teams’ overall effort. Every wrestler wrestled up to or over their seed, minus Brandon Womack. To Brandon’s defense he had only wrestled live in practice one time in the over seven weeks. We knew he would struggle but based on his body of work we hoped that he would be able to pick up a wildcard. Assuming that occurred, we were confident he would be ready to really compete in time for the NCAA’s. As it turned out he performed as expected and thankfully we were correct, and he did earn a wildcard. The only problem of course is the Coronavirus. Sadly, the NCAA tournament will not take place this year. It is surreal to write this and our wrestlers are in a daze. I feel terrible for these young men but especially bad for our seniors. Noah Baughman finally got his ticket to the “Big Dance” after 2nd and 3rd place finishing, Chas Tucker had an amazing perfect 32-0 record and we had every reason to believe this would be the year he not on got on the podium but had a perch at the top and Brandon Womack went through surgery to fix his broken collarbone in hopes of getting back to All-American form. The good news is Cornell University and wresting in general wrestling has prepared them for tough times. This is a terrible disappointment, this is not a tragedy because our young men are more than just wrestlers.

Yesterday was one of the hardest days for any coach, athlete, parent, etc. involved with college athletics. I looked at our team yesterday and all the guys who have sacrificed so much for their goals, and my heart broke for them. It didn’t just break for the eight young men who had qualified for nationals but for everyone top to bottom throughout our program that were right there with them. It’s easy right now for us in this time to feel sorry for ourselves, to complain, to hang our heads, and to feel discouraged.⠀

I’ll be the first to say, when the news came yesterday, I absolutely went into a state of mind that was negative. I could barely look at our seniors and our guys without feeling incredibly emotional.⠀

We got together last night at @coach_mikegrey house as a team to be together and it hit me. As I watched the guys laugh together, tell stories from the year, and be there for each other, it made me feel incredibly blessed. I watched Noah Baughman, Chas Tucker, and Brandon Womack all guys that just had their careers end, put their arms around the young guys and build them back up. That’s what I call leadership. What incredible perspective to have when you are 22/23 years old.⠀

I got up this morning and I felt privileged to be a part of something in @bigredwrestling that is far greater than any individual. As an athlete it felt like winning national championships, becoming an all-american, and accolades were the most important thing. Last night, our guys showed me what the most important thing was and always has been: the relationships they have with each other.⠀

In extreme adversity, it is easy to get caught up in all the distractions that it brings. Our program sees it as an opportunity to come together and be there for each other regardless of the pain they feel. I’m motivated by that, I’m inspired by that, and I thank our staff, our alumni, our parents, and our amazing young men for continuing to make me a better coach and a better man.

Instagram post by Gabe Dean

Interesting interview on Flo with Chaz Tucker.  He indicated that he has a year of eligibility left (!), and if the Ivy League were to change its rule wrt grad students competing, he'd be up for wrestling next year.  I guess the reference to the Ivy League is about the rules being changed just this once to allow those seniors who missed out on the NCAAs to compete in some fashion next year.

I don't see how Tucker can have eligibility remaining unless he receives a med hardship waiver from the NCAA for a 6th year.  He went directly from HS to Cornell, was shown on the roster in 2015-16 and 2016-17, didn't wrestle a bout either year due to injury.  Unless Cornell's roster was incorrect that first year, his 5-year clock began then.  I just checked and he's no longer shown on the 2016-17 roster but he's still on 2015-16.

35 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

I don't see how Tucker can have eligibility remaining unless he receives a med hardship waiver from the NCAA for a 6th year.  He went directly from HS to Cornell, was shown on the roster in 2015-16 and 2016-17, didn't wrestle a bout either year due to injury.  Unless Cornell's roster was incorrect that first year, his 5-year clock began then.  I just checked and he's no longer shown on the 2016-17 roster but he's still on 2015-16.

I didn't hear the interview- was he figuring on the NCAA giving this year back?

22 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I didn't hear the interview- was he figuring on the NCAA giving this year back?

IIRC, Chaz stated on FRL that he had a year of eligibility remaining BUT the Ivy would need to change their position on a 5th year.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:13 PM, jdalu75 said:

if he didn't wrestle either year due to injury wouldn't getting a medical redshirt to wrestle grad for anyone else be pretty straightforward since he only had 3 years of competition?

So I've been looking at the Track Quant simulation and, for kicks, some notes:

125: Good work on LaJoie beating Mannino again in the rematch, and for lasting to the second round against Spencer Lee. Close one with Schwarm, too.

133: Tucker lost to DeSanto and faces Bridges (again) in the blood round.

141: Baughman to the QF! Back to back upsets: a 13-12 nailbiter against Sherman and MD (!) over Chad Red. Faces #8 Heil in the blood round (Heil knocked out Pomrinca).

149: Richard LMD to Degen but beat Rohlfing and Storr before falling to Kizhan Clarke in R16

174: Rough career ender for Womack, getting pinned by Kutler before losing in the pigtail to Eaglin (Duke)

184: Rough day for Loew, pinned by Hidlay and majored in the rematch with Janzer.

197: Darmstadt wins a pair before falling to Rasheed (!) in the QF. Bulsak in the blood round)

285: Furman loses to Stencel in the first round before a shocking upset of Hokit in the wrestlebacks and a second win over Wilson (NC State). The magic run ends with a loss to Andrews in R16.

133:  Bridges with a first round pin? *throws computer in trash*

141: Heil over Baughman 12-10.  Great run, kid.

197: Darmstadt over Bulsak, but loses to Traxler 6-5 to fall to the 7th place match? *throws computer in trash*

51 minutes ago, ugarte said:

197: Darmstadt over Bulsak, but loses to Traxler 6-5 to fall to the 7th place match? *throws computer in trash*

Agreed! Throws computer into trash, digs it out to post this.  Throws it back in the trash...

Edited by Mphillips

5 hours ago, ugarte said:

Has Tucker ever given up back points, much less been pinned?  Looking through his record, I see he was turned by Lizak in 2018.  Maybe one other time.

7 hours ago, ugarte said:

How many computers do you have?