scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

Flo interviewed Yianni in his garage/training center in Rochester.  Some interesting bits that I can remember:

• Julian Ramirez is living in his house (and training with Yianni)
  • Yianni also trains with his brothers, Greg and Elijah who just turned 13 and wrestles 165 (!), and had Vito over for a bit
  • Yianni is willing to go either 141 or 149; the former isn't a tough cut for him and he doesn't think that he'd be too small for 149. 
    Decision depends on whatever Rob Koll thinks is best for the team, and depends on who comes in and lives up to their potential
  • He said he thinks some guys might come right in as true freshman, but he wouldn't say in case he was wrong.  Graduating seniors include
    Greg D., Dylan Cedeno (132), Cole Handlovic (145), whatever Josh Saunders is, Gage McClenahan (145), Najee Lockett (170), Ethan Hatcher (220);
    let the speculation continue!
  • He didn't give any indication that he'd be taking another ORS
  • His mom just had a baby (I think she got remarried in the last couple years?)

Some power studs but many unknowns.  New guys have big names but many big names don’t jump the level into college.  

Someone want to layout the case for optimism for all the line up new entries above?

Edited by nom

1 hour ago, nom said:

Some power studs but many unknowns.  New guys have big names but many big names don’t jump the level into college.  

Someone want to layout the case for optimism for all the line up new entries above?

Agree with what you say with big names don’t always lead to big things but I believe there is so much more then that here to be excited about!  
Yes you have the big 4 ... 
—Vito 34-4 as a freshman and 4th at NCAA and has the ability to place top 3 next year 
--Yianni two time NCAA champ and will be favorite to win again . 
--Max Dean NCAA Finalist and will most likely  be favorite to win it all next year. 
—Darmstadt I believe was the second best 197 pounder this year and does have a shot of winning it all next year. 
So without even bringing up the young guys, you have 3 possible champs, 4 possible finalist. That right there is a lot of NCAA points. Now the rest... 
Colton was 12-3 this past year as freshman before injury. Only lost 4-0 to Hidley. As far as Saunders and all his accolades, he was one win from qualifying for the Olympic trials at this past US Open( Same bracket as Yianni).  He has several big wins proving he can already stick with the big boys.  Fernandes, Foca and Ramirez have been kicking butt as grey shirts this year along with Cardenas.  I know a lot of those tournaments aren’t heavy division 1 main stream competition, however Foca, Cardenas, and Fernandes placed at the Southern scuffle i believe and that is a very competitive tourny with a lot of big guns there.   I think Foca and Fernandes look damn good, Fernandes defeated a couple of NCAA qualifiers by major decision last year. 
Dom And Ramirez....Dom was an NCAA qualifier this year and will only get better. Ramirez has the potential to be an NCAA qualifier next season. I mean not many have a better resume then he does prior to college, we will see .  I truly believe that Foca and Fernandes have all American potential next year.  Besides all this, you will have NCAA qualifiers like Loew, Furman,  Hunter Richard to go with other blue chippers like Cardenas, Handlovic, McClenahan, Cedano, Hatcher, Reiniche  pushing the starters to only get better or they lose their spots. Then this entire team comes back next year and they add Greg D and Ryan Sokol.  It is very possible next year ( several factors of course but still possible) if they had 10 NCAA qualifiers. 8 All Americans, 4 finalist and 3 champs. Again from what I have watched, I think you will be very surprised how good Foca and Fernandes is right away next year.   

4 hours ago, kyleinthecircle said:

can’t seem to get this match out of my head whenever anyone brings up fernandes

I think Fernandes has improved a heck of a lot since this match.  Not to say Furman hasn’t either. I looked up common opponents that they both had this year and saw ...

E24AF2A1-F5C9-49CA-8508-8313FCDA55E2.jpeg

7 hours ago, kyleinthecircle said:

can’t seem to get this match out of my head whenever anyone brings up fernandes

Fernandes was still in High School during this match.  He has improved a lot this year up in Ithaca.  

Wanted to let everyone know that over on the Cornell wrestling twitter account I've been posting old footage from NCAA finals matches, highlighting past champs. With all of the craziness going on, the NCAA is allowing schools to post old footage from their archives in two minute snippets. Started last week with Dave Hirsch and Travis Lee (03), and have opened this week up with Lee (05) and Jordan Leen. Going to be rounding out the week with Nickerson, Dake (10) and Dake (11). Figured you might be interested in seeing some old broadcast footage, including some matches (Lee x2/Nickerson) that aren't easily available to watch on YouTube.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:56 PM, asovermann said:

Wanted to let everyone know that over on the Cornell wrestling twitter account I've been posting old footage from NCAA finals matches, highlighting past champs. With all of the craziness going on, the NCAA is allowing schools to post old footage from their archives in two minute snippets. Started last week with Dave Hirsch and Travis Lee (03), and have opened this week up with Lee (05) and Jordan Leen. Going to be rounding out the week with Nickerson, Dake (10) and Dake (11). Figured you might be interested in seeing some old broadcast footage, including some matches (Lee x2/Nickerson) that aren't easily available to watch on YouTube.

Thank you for posting these.  I never watched Dave Auble before. 

On 3/27/2020 at 7:24 PM, kyleinthecircle said:

flos projected lineup

125: Dom LaJoie

133: Vitali Arujau

141: Josh Saunders

149: Yianni Diakomihalis

157: Colton Yapoujian

165: Julian Ramirez

174: Chris Foca

184: Max Dean

197: Ben Darmstadt

285: Lewis Fernandes

I am curious to see what JJ Wilson can do. While he came to the team without the fanfare of some others, he showed exceptionally well in his (only) five matches last season, pinning four opponents in the first period and defeating teammate (and more highly recruited) Moomey. I am pretty sure that Gred D would take that spot if he doesn't greyshirt but...  However, I am most interested in the 141 -165 logjam. Who ends up where, and how that shakes out seems predicated by what Yanni chooses to do: If he opts for 141, can Saunders move up and handle Richards? If he goes '49 can Richards take 157 from Colton, can Colton then challenge Ramirez. I don't know but I can't wait to find out.    

20 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

He transitions so well from securing the TD to back points. Always has the leg in looking for more points.

Is he even better that brother Yianni?

18 hours ago, NJDan said:

Wow. Who were the 2?

In 8th grade he lost to Dylan Ryder in a close match. They met again that year in state finals and Greg D won. Ryder started for Hofstra at 125 the past few years.  The other loss was also in 8th grade when he bumped up a weight against one of the top guys in NY.