scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

Yianni says he'll wrestle for Cornell next year (as if that wasn't completely obvious) in an interview on Flo (via Twitter).  He'll also go for the
Olympic team, which was also obvious.

On 4/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, NJDan said:

Is he even better that brother Yianni?

I would say no but that's only based off Yianni college record and a couple of big national tournament losses Greg has had. It's hard for anyone to compete with when comparing to big brother. Greg will do just fine in college and if he hits another gear in Ithaca he could be the next big thing.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:22 PM, NJDan said:

Does he have international titles the way Yianni does?

Greg blew out his ACL almost exactly one year ago, so he wasn't able to compete for an age-level world team in 2019.

Is he even better that brother Yianni?

Greg doesn't have the body type or the crazy wingspan that Yianni has, nor does he quite have Yianni's gumby-like flexibility. That said, Greg is very technically sound, and is otherwise similar to his older brother. And he's a winner, just like Yianni. Greg's high school career was stellar, and you'd have to expect him to have a very successful college career (IMO, he may be a career 125-lb wrestler at the collegiate level).

13 minutes ago, wrestleFan12 said:

Greg doesn't have the body type or the crazy wingspan that Yianni has, nor does he quite have Yianni's gumby-like flexibility. That said, Greg is very technically sound, and is otherwise similar to his older brother. And he's a winner, just like Yianni.

How are his triceps?

Edited by gimpeltf

3 hours ago, Softmats said:

I'm sorry I missed the call-in event last night. Was anything particularly interesting addressed?

Greg D not listed at 125 on next year's tentative roster.  Saunders said he could go at either 141 or 149.

42 minutes ago, hotspur said:

Greg D not listed at 125 on next year's tentative roster.  Saunders said he could go at either 141 or 149.

I just hope there is a next year this team is going to be fire for the next two. These are Knolls last shot at a title.

Best of luck to him.  Honis to PRTC:

The Pennsylvania Regional Training Center (PRTC) has announced the addition of Ben Honis to its freestyle program.

A 2019 All-American and First-Team All-Ivy selection, Ben competed with Cornell for four seasons in both the heavyweight and 197-pound classes. He earned All-American status in gritty fashion when he was upset in his first match at the NCAA tournament, but rebounded to win four straight matches to finish in eighth place.

Ben also has impressive freestyle credentials having finished as the 97kg runner-up at the 2019 Marine Corps US Open, which earned him a spot in the World Team Trials.

After finishing his collegiate wrestling career, Ben joined Syracuse’s football team where he played in nine games for the Orangemen.

“Ben Honis has made the US Open finals at 97kg in a convincing manner and his freestyle skills are extremely impressive. More importantly, after spending time with Ben and getting to know him personally, it is immediately clear that he is a man of substance and character. Ben is an ideal fit for our PRTC culture, and we are blessed to have him on board,” said Brandon Slay, executive director and head coach of the PRTC.

I saw this item when it first came out -- best first-hand account I've seen of dealing with the virus.  With some useful advice -- if you find yourself having trouble breathing, lie on your stomach.  I never would have thought of that.

Cornell has posted a draft of its 2020-21 roster.  The Olympic Three are back, as is Yapoujian.  No Stroker, no incoming freshmen yet.  Nothing surprising about weights -- Furman still listed at 285.

As I was posting this I thought of a question -- if there's not going to be a wrestling season in 2020-21, should the NCAA allow a second greyshirt year before enrollment?   Not granting another year to athletes because the NCAA tournament was canceled was one thing, but this would allow students not yet in school to delay their enrollment and save their teams some dough on budgets that we know are being trimmed, at least in the short term.