scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

18 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Not sure how Cornell/Ivy could make a covid exception since the NCAA isn't. 

The issue was being a graduate student at an Ivy League school with eligibility left, which isn't an NCAA issue.  Ivy League needed to make an allowance for those seniors who graduated.  Which they didn't, of course.

2 minutes ago, klehner said:

The issue was being a graduate student at an Ivy League school with eligibility left, which isn't an NCAA issue.  Ivy League needed to make an allowance for those seniors who graduated.  Which they didn't, of course.

Yes and no (mostly yes). It would require a 6th year here and then what you say. So it would need to be a double dose of remedy. 1st to allow for a 6th year in the first place and then to allow competition as a grad. Since the 2 years off (1st and 2nd years after matriculating) have nothing to do with covid this all seems unlikely (at Cornell). So for him to compete elsewhere would also require a 6th year, that would be almost entirely up to Cornell. I don't imagine the EIWA would balk but in a case like this I'm not sure if the IVY League would also need to rule.

1 hour ago, jdalu75 said:

So I don't understand why a guy would have to enter the transfer portal because he's going to grad school elsewhere, unless he intends to try to get the 6th year after the transfer.  I don't understand Garrett Hoffman in the portal either; Hoffman was a good 184-pounder at Bucknell (which has had only one exception to its no-redshirt rule) until he was injured midway through the 2017-18 season.  He missed the remainder of that year, all of 2018-19, and went 1-0 in 2019-20 at 285.  So he's been at Bucknell for four years, has almost certainly graduated, and is shown as transferring to Ohio State at 197/285.  He could wrestle as a grad student and could possibly get a 6th year, but since he's wrestled just one bout in the past 30 months or so, is he really going to be a factor for the Buckeyes?

Hoffman was listed as an OSU transfer but I don't think that was ever actually official. He ended up transferring to Indiana which makes a lot more sense for him.

2 hours ago, klehner said:

The original reference I found said that Koll "circulated" the video, but I can't verify that.  The poster said it was in email sent by Koll, so it would seem legit.

Tucker said he was done wrestling at Cornell, unless they (and the Ivy League) chose to make a COVID-19 exception for graduating seniors who lost out on some or all of their senior year competition.  He knew the rules.

If you look at the 20-21 roster and the video, it would seem like

125:  Arujau/LaJoie

133: Arujau/Moomey/Wilson

141:  Yianni/Saunders

149: Yianni/Richard/Saunders

157:  Yapoujian/Richard

165:  Santoro/Ramirez

174:  Berreyesa/Foca

184:  Dean/Loew (not a starter but a solid backup)

197:  Darmstadt/Cardenas (one of only two listed frosh)

285:  Fernandes/Furman

I think a couple of weights are up in the air because who knows. Incredible that there are 4 NCAA qualifiers from last year who are assumed to be on the bench.

39 minutes ago, ugarte said:

I think a couple of weights are up in the air because who knows. Incredible that there are 4 NCAA qualifiers from last year who are assumed to be on the bench.

That's kind of why I joked about Furman still being at 285.  For the other weights (more than a couple, I think), who knows?

3 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

That'll change.  Cornell is one of the few teams that appear to gradually update the website roster; many just wait until they have the full thing and then do it all at once.  Cardenas and Benny Baker are the only two freshmen shown right now.

I update them on the roster as they are entered into the student-athlete system by the coaching staff. It just saves me some time over the long run rather than having to enter in 10 kids at once. Also on the Darmstadt height, I had him listed at 6'5" for all of 19-20 as well. He's a giant!

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

Who are the 4 qualifiers on the bench?  I think LaJoie, Richard, Furman, and?  Chaz, Noah, and Brandon graduated.  Darmstadt is a lock to start.

28 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Who are the 4 qualifiers on the bench?  I think LaJoie, Richard, Furman, and?  Chaz, Noah, and Brandon graduated.  Darmstadt is a lock to start.

Loew was an at-large

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

Loew was an at-large

I think LaJoie ends up starting at 125 because Vito will go at 133.  That combo at 125/133 is better than Vito at 125 and Moomie/Wilson/Lajoie at 133.  

I think Richard goes at 149 if Yianni stays at 141, and he goes at 157 over Yapoujian if Yianni goes at 149.  What do you think the best 141/149/157 for Cornell is.  

I agree with you that if there are no injuries, Loew and Furman are on the bench.  I also think Cardenas is on the bench at 197.  

4 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I think LaJoie ends up starting at 125 because Vito will go at 133.  That combo at 125/133 is better than Vito at 125 and Moomie/Wilson/Lajoie at 133.  

I think Richard goes at 149 if Yianni stays at 141, and he goes at 157 over Yapoujian if Yianni goes at 149.  What do you think the best 141/149/157 for Cornell is.  

Yianni/Saunders/Yapoujian.  I like Richard, but I think Yapoujian is at another level.

4 hours ago, asovermann said:

I update them on the roster as they are entered into the student-athlete system by the coaching staff. It just saves me some time over the long run rather than having to enter in 10 kids at once. Also on the Darmstadt height, I had him listed at 6'5" for all of 19-20 as well. He's a giant!

I stood ten feet from him at the Hokie Open in Roanoke his Finger Lakes year.  I'm six feet even and my eye level was about where his shoulder blades were.  Six-five may be a little light.

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Yianni/Saunders/Yapoujian.  I like Richard, but I think Yapoujian is at another level.

What was the reasoning behind Koll sending out Santoro over him at 157 for EIWA's?  Do you think it was a mistake?

i prefer the all-things-cornell thread to a million single topic threads. 

2 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

What was the reasoning behind Koll sending out Santoro over him at 157 for EIWA's?  Do you think it was a mistake?

Yapoujian got injured over winter break and never returned to the lineup

Edited by ugarte

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

Why does Cornell have one coverall dedicated topic....

Since the forum that used to host a Cornell-specific room started having technical problems, we all came here.

12 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Thats interesting you're like forum squatters

eh we were mostly here anyway to chime in on other topics but for cornell stuff we keep it in the family.

5 hours ago, klehner said:

Just looked attractive the roster and saw that Yapoujian is a graduate of Jeffco Virtual Academy (though he wrestled somewhere else). Looks like Jeffco is a school for kids who don't wanna go to school. Must be an interesting story about how he wound up there and then wound up at Cornell.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Just looked attractive the roster and saw that Yapoujian is a graduate of Jeffco Virtual Academy (though he wrestled somewhere else). Looks like Jeffco is a school for kids who don't wanna go to school. Must be an interesting story about how he wound up there and then wound up at Cornell.

Went to Pomona, CO first three years of HS. After he committed he moved out to Ithaca to train at Finger Lakes.

9 hours ago, ugarte said:

Who are the 4 qualifiers on the bench?

1 minute ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Went to Pomona, CO first three years of HS. After he committed he moved out to Ithaca to train at Finger Lakes.

Oh, and did he greyshirt as well?

4 minutes ago, NJDan said:

you know his sat's? what his grades were like before jeffco?

Just now, NJDan said:

Who are the 4 qualifiers on the bench?

i bet if you keep reading you'll find them