scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

I don't think this score is possible. All scores are multiples of 10.

That's false- or at least misleading.

All scores NOW are multiples of 10.

I got a 1457. I'm not sure when they made that change.

Also, the definition of an 800 changed a couple years after I took them. T0 oversimplify the scores are based on 500 being dead average and then 600 being 1 std deviation above the raw score mean and 400 being 1 std dev below. So 800 was (when I took them) 3 std devs above. That may or may not have been a perfect score. And if the test was "easy" and more than expected got a perfect raw score that might not be 3 std devs above. A couple years after I graduated they announced that a perfect raw score would translate to an 800 regardless.

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Even in his era that was still an exceptionally low score for a Yale student.  With that said, I'm amazed he scored so high.   

It's been credibly opined that Bush's military intelligence testing gave him an IQ in the mid 120's, placing him in the 95th percentile of the population.  John Kerry's, for comparison, would have translated to an IQ of 120 and put him in the 91st percentile.

On 6/27/2020 at 2:03 PM, Plasmodium said:

I have no desire to discuss a specific person. 

That SAT is actually average for Ivy League wrestlers? If that is the average board score for any group at an ivy, we can dispense with the notion of academics being more rigorous and demanding in the ivy league.

I don’t think it proves anything about the rigor once in the school (although I have heard they’re not really much if any more demanding than a lot of other non-ivies once you’re in, but that has nothing to do with SAT scores).

But it does prove how much preferential treatment athletes get in the admission process.

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think it proves anything about the rigor once in the school (although I have heard they’re not really much if any more demanding than a lot of other non-ivies once you’re in, but that has nothing to do with SAT scores).

But it does prove how much preferential treatment athletes get in the admission process.

You have no ****ing idea what are the average SAT scores for the wrestling team (or any other team) at Cornell (or any other school).  Who gathers and publishes that data, do you think?

8 minutes ago, klehner said:

You have no ****ing idea what are the average SAT scores for the wrestling team (or any other team) at Cornell (or any other school).  Who gathers and publishes that data, do you think?

Sorry was just going off the previous poster's statement - should probably say it would prove that, not does.   I'd believe it though - that score is still likely decently above the average NCAA wrestler.  

Quick google search shows there has been some data around average athlete SAT scores - https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/index.html .  For example here is Binghampton mens and women's basketball from 2007-2013 - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1003067-binghamton-data.html 

On 6/28/2020 at 11:04 PM, NJDan said:

I don't think this score is possible. All scores are multiples of 10.

they are now; they weren't then.

also, buck was making up the numbers for yapoujian for a laugh to respond to my post. 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:06 AM, klehner said:

The original reference I found said that Koll "circulated" the video, but I can't verify that.  The poster said it was in email sent by Koll, so it would seem legit.

Tucker said he was done wrestling at Cornell, unless they (and the Ivy League) chose to make a COVID-19 exception for graduating seniors who lost out on some or all of their senior year competition.  He knew the rules.

If you look at the 20-21 roster and the video, it would seem like

125:  Arujau

133: Moomey/Wilson

141:  Yianni

149:  Richard/Saunders

157:  Yapoujian

165:  Santoro/Ramirez

174:  Berreyesa/Foca

184:  Dean

197:  Darmstadt/Cardenas (one of only two listed frosh)

285:  Fernandes/Furman

For @hammerlockthree

10 hours ago, ugarte said:

also, buck was making up the numbers for yapoujian for a laugh to respond to my post. 

It's true.  I make up stuff all the time because I'm a troll.  Or at least that's what I've been told.  

3 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

That lineup has got to be the most high school credentialed team Cornell has ever put out right? I don't think I've ever seen them with a lineup that compared to tOSU, OSU, or PSU in terms of "talent".....hell I'm not sure Iowa did it till last year.

You know what's funny?  Outside of the guys at 133, the least "high school credentialed" likely starter in that lineup is the guy who made it to the 2019 NCAA finals.

7 hours ago, buck said:

Mike Gray or Grey needs another gig.  Getting a little stale passing out towels.  Time for grasshopper to land his own program.

From some interviews I've seen, I think he's been looking tbh. But I also think he wants to be matside for Yianni and Kyle (and Nahshon, why not!) in Tokyo.

25 minutes ago, buck said:

Honest question.  Seriously doubt Dake/Yianni/Nahshon need coaching.  

Go find Yianni's NCAA finals matches, and listen to his interviews and to whom he gives credit.  Then see if your doubt still stands.

Funny that every world class athlete, in every sport, has a coach, but these three guys don't need coaching.  They must be truly exceptional.