scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

32 minutes ago, buck said:

Honest question.  Seriously doubt Dake/Yianni/Nahshon need coaching.  

Sure they do. Even the highest level athletes need coaching. It needs to be someone they trust absolutely because when you are that good, you are not going to change anything unless you have incredible trust. Sometimes, it might just be the training schedule. I knew guys who had to be pulled back from over training. The guy I had absolute trust in had me do extra workouts, not for physically conditioning purposes but because I had to mentally believe I was in good enough shape to go really hard for 7 minutes. At the Div. 1 and international levels, every detail makes a difference and all the athletes need their guy to help guide them. They see things the athletes don't. Nobody thought Michael Phelps was going to drown in the pool but he still had a coach that he trusted to guide his training, preparation and mindset.

I am not sure why you have such hatred toward Cornell? 

Sucks that Ivy League wrestling can’t start till January 1st. They will not be in Vegas or Florida Duals Among other things.  I wonder if this means they can’t have official practices till January 1st as well.  Does anyone know when the deadline is for wrestlers to declare Olympic redshirts for the year? I am just wondering if this continues to go the way it does if Yianni/Vito/Dean are better off taking yet another Olympic redshirt in order to avoid a repeat of what happened last year in the NCAA or even chancing it. 

8 minutes ago, Kevsuhr25 said:

Sucks that Ivy League wrestling can’t start till January 1st. They will not be in Vegas or Florida Duals Among other things.  I wonder if this means they can’t have official practices till January 1st as well.  Does anyone know when the deadline is for wrestlers to declare Olympic redshirts for the year? I am just wondering if this continues to go the way it does if Yianni/Vito/Dean are better off taking yet another Olympic redshirt in order to avoid a repeat of what happened last year in the NCAA or even chancing it. 

The statement indicated that no *competition* can occur in the fall semester (through December), not that no practice or training can occur.

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2020/7/8/general-ivy-league-outlines-intercollegiate-athletics-plans-no-competition-in-fall-semester.aspx

Also on Flo there was an interview with Gabe Dean a few days ago. He made the lineup sound like Vito at 125 LaJoie at 133 Yianni/Saunders in some order at 141 and 149, Yapoujan at 157, Hunter Richard/Julian Ramirez/Merola at 165, Foca, Dean, Darmstadt/Cardenas, Fernandes/Furman

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6751130-flowrestling-dake-vs-chamizo/videos?playing=6755042

Lehigh's student newspaper ran a story a couple of days ago about the announcements other schools and conferences were making about athletics changes.  That article stated that the earliest Ivy teams can practice is Jan 1st, 2021.  That's the only place I've seen that.  My read of the Ivy press release is that practices are permitted:    https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/7/8/general-ivy-league-outlines-intercollegiate-athletics-plans-no-competition-in-fall-semester.aspx

2 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Lehigh's student newspaper ran a story a couple of days ago about the announcements other schools and conferences were making about athletics changes.  That article stated that the earliest Ivy teams can practice is Jan 1st, 2021.  That's the only place I've seen that.  My read of the Ivy press release is that practices are permitted:    https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/7/8/general-ivy-league-outlines-intercollegiate-athletics-plans-no-competition-in-fall-semester.aspx

"Practice and other athletic training opportunities for enrolled student-athletes will be permitted provided they are structured in accordance with each institution’s procedures and applicable state regulations."  Seems pretty clear.

18 hours ago, klehner said:

The statement indicated that no *competition* can occur in the fall semester (through December), not that no practice or training can occur.

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2020/7/8/general-ivy-league-outlines-intercollegiate-athletics-plans-no-competition-in-fall-semester.aspx

Ok thanks , so they can at least practice I guess, thx for the info. 

There probably won’t be any wrestling in the fall across the board. 

I don’t think it will happen Jan 1 either. It is more difficult to control the virus in the winter, when outdoor activities are more limited and hospital resources are stretched in most years due to the flu alone. 

I doubt we get a season. 

22 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

What Open events do you think there might be?

Given the stupidity being seen in some states, who knows what might be available?  I just read an article reporting that some of the Tampa Bay Rays players have received boneheaded comments while they've been in grocery stores and the like, for wearing masks.  This in a state where the number of cases is exploding.  How dumb can you be?

Locally, one of our sheriff's departments just held a "meet-and-greet" event a few days ago.  None of the sheriff's staff wore masks and few of the attendees did.  How can you expect the public to do the smart thing if the folks in charge don't display any sense?

3 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Given the stupidity being seen in some states, who knows what might be available?  I just read an article reporting that some of the Tampa Bay Rays players have received boneheaded comments while they've been in grocery stores and the like, for wearing masks.  This in a state where the number of cases is exploding.  How dumb can you be?

Florida will hit 15,000 + new cases today - blowing away New York's daily high.

2 hours ago, red blades said:

Florida will hit 15,000 + new cases today - blowing away New York's daily high.

A record, for now.  As Ms. O'Hara said, tomorrow is another day.