scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

I just sat in on the EIWA coaches' meeting. There's not much definite information to share; lots of ideas on how to handle things but I think everyone feels like they're standing on quicksand. As Captain Kirk once said, we're debating in a vacuum and there aren't any answers.

I don't expect to see any competition prior to January 1st. Beyond that it'll be trying to figure ways to get guys as many bouts as possible, safely, in the limited time available.

12 minutes ago, Kevsuhr25 said:

Sammy Alvarez tweeting out to Vito that he will tech fall him next Saturday..good luck with that..:not a chance! 

Sammy is a qualifier. Vito took 4th. Sammy has one state title. Vito has four. Vito has a cadet silver. Sammy has nothing.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:31 PM, NJDan said:

Sammy is a qualifier. Vito took 4th. Sammy has one state title. Vito has four. Vito has a cadet silver. Sammy has nothing.

I mean, I don't think Sammy will fare particularly well against arujau, but to say he's just a "qualifier" when his only NCAA tournament was cancelled seems a tad disingenuous. Kid was the #10 seed last year and beat the #4 seed en route to a southern scuffle title.

Edited by lurk_nowitzki

On 7/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, Juanma25 said:

Are Vito and Alvarez wrestling folkstyle? Sammy doesn't look like he has a great style for freestyle with all the scrambling he gets into.

Wrestling freestyle 

It's pretty funny there is such a big Cornell thread on here because they can't even have their own forum anymore..Their Wrestling report forum is closed down so the few Cornell fans have to come on here now...Also funny that the Cornell Wrestling faithful think they are elite academic wise but Everyone knows Cornell Wrestling brings in recruits that couldn't get accepted to Drexel!

On 7/18/2020 at 7:09 PM, lurk_nowitzki said:

I mean, I don't think Sammy will fare particularly well against arujau, but to say he's just a "qualifier" when his only NCAA tournament was cancelled seems a tad disingenuous. Kid was the #10 seed last year and beat the #4 seed en route to a southern scuffle title.

OK, so Alvarez did not get a chance to be more than qualifier. Based on his ranking, though, he was unlikely to place. And don't you agree that his pre-college record was not really really close to Vito's? Anyway, we'll see.

9 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

It's pretty funny there is such a big Cornell thread on here because they can't even have their own forum anymore..Their Wrestling report forum is closed down so the few Cornell fans have to come on here now...Also funny that the Cornell Wrestling faithful think they are elite academic wise but Everyone knows Cornell Wrestling brings in recruits that couldn't get accepted to Drexel!

Showing your ignorance on a public forum is dumb.

11 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

You know what's even funnier?  Losers who open the Cornell Big Red Wrestling thread just to make lame troll posts.

I'ts kind of interesting that some of the Cornell posters have created their own rolling thread on the larger College Forum; credit to Scribe for the idea.  On the one hand, it does seem to present something of an open invitation to trolls and critics.  On the other hand, it also encourages broader participation and discussion than the more isolated forum.  I'd like to see more fans of other schools do the same - Princeton,  maybe Rutgers?

FWIW, there  is a wrestling discussion thread over on the Elynah forum, but it never really took off.

Lehigh fans for the most part seem to have moved over to an all-Lehigh forum.  It seems to suit them well, kind of a safe-space for the older crowd. ;-P.

BTW - has anyone heard from Scribe?  I'm a little concerned about his long disapearance.  Hoping he is still lurking, if not posting.  Maybe he'll return in November?

2 hours ago, klehner said:

You know what's even funnier?  Losers who open the Cornell Big Red Wrestling thread just to make lame troll posts.

I guess they learned from the Cornell fans who made lame troll posts on the WR Lehigh forum.

13 hours ago, NJDan said:

OK, so Alvarez did not get a chance to be more than qualifier. Based on his ranking, though, he was unlikely to place. And don't you agree that his pre-college record was not really really close to Vito's? Anyway, we'll see.

Doesn't Alvarez have multiple wins over Robert Howard who was a world champ?   Alvarez was a 3X finalist in NJ, with his 2 losses coming against the same guy (Princeton commit Anthony Clark).

Yes Vito is more accomplished and I think he wins also, but who knows.  Alvarez was also at a higher weight than Vito (and of course when Vito was at 133 he lost to Chaz Tucker too).

I sat in on another coaches' meeting this afternoon -- sounds like the Ivy coaches have been told that their first competition can't be before 1/9/21.  I haven't seen anything in writing but this came from one of the Ivy coaches.  Unless the NCAA tournament gets pushed back we're looking at a mighty short season.

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yes Vito is more accomplished and I think he wins also, but who knows.  Alvarez was also at a higher weight than Vito (and of course when Vito was at 133 he lost to Chaz Tucker too).

Vito beat Tucker during the greyshirt and then lost to him during his freshman year. When Tucker beat Vito I thought it meant that Tucker "won" the weight and forced Vito down to 125 but after listening to the Flo interview with Vito I wonder if going down to 125 was already the plan. Any way to see what Vito weighed in at for that match?

1 hour ago, jdalu75 said:

I sat in on another coaches' meeting this afternoon -- sounds like the Ivy coaches have been told that their first competition can't be before 1/9/21.  I haven't seen anything in writing but this came from one of the Ivy coaches.  Unless the NCAA tournament gets pushed back we're looking at a mighty short season.

Moving an event that large would under other circumstances seem really difficult but if you aren't filling an arena with fans anyway it may not be as hard? I think we are looking at a very short season (at best) though. 

11 hours ago, ugarte said:

Moving an event that large would under other circumstances seem really difficult but if you aren't filling an arena with fans anyway it may not be as hard? I think we are looking at a very short season (at best) though. 

One of the problems with moving the NCAA tournament back to mid-to-late April on a permanent basis is that it limits the choices of venue; major cities with NBA and NHL teams plan for their interminable playoffs and their big arenas might not be available for four days in the middle of all that.  But 2021 is different.  First, St. Louis doesn't have an NBA franchise so wrestling would just need to work around the Blues.  Second, with basketball and hockey ending their 2019-20 seasons so late, the beginning of their 2020-21 seasons have been pushed back to December; presumably their playoffs will begin later as well.  The Enterprise Center may well be available for four days in late April.

So if NCAAs are pushed back to April 22-23-24, that moves conference tournaments to either the April 2-4 or April 9-11 weekends (might want to allow three weeks in-between to allow for full 14-day quarantines).  The final day of the regular season is either March 21 or March 28.  That has 12 or 13 weekends after the new year.  The current season, which almost everyone agrees is way too long, with its starts and stops for Thanksgiving and Christmas, is 14 weekends (except for Princeton and its 18th-Century fall exam schedule in mid-January).  The big difference would be the loss of the fall semester opens; the plus side of that is everyone wrestling Div I wrestlers, instead of high school and RTC guys, for 99% of their bouts.

Edited by jdalu75

27 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

One of the problems with moving the NCAA tournament back to mid-to-late April on a permanent basis is that it limits the choices of venue; major cities with NBA and NHL teams plan for their interminable playoffs and their big arenas might not be available for four days in the middle of all that.  But 2021 is different.  First, St. Louis doesn't have an NBA franchise so wrestling would just need to work around the Blues.  Second, with basketball and hockey ending their 2019-20 seasons so late, the beginning of their 2020-21 seasons have been pushed back to December; presumably their playoffs will begin later as well.  The Enterprise Center may well be available for four days in late April.

So if NCAAs are pushed back to April 22-23-24, that moves conference tournaments to either the April 2-4 or April 9-11 weekends (might want to allow three weeks in-between to allow for full 14-day quarantines).  The final day of the regular season is either March 21 or March 28.  That has 12 or 13 weekends after the new year.  The current season, which almost everyone agrees is way too long, with its starts and stops for Thanksgiving and Christmas, is 14 weekends (except for Princeton and its 18th-Century fall exam schedule in mid-January).  The big difference would be the loss of the fall semester opens; the plus side of that is everyone wrestling Div I wrestlers, instead of high school and RTC guys, for 99% of their bouts.

But as ugarte said do they really need an arena if there are limited/no fans?

If there’s no vaccine by then I honestly think it should be outside, and really all you’d probably need is a football field somewhere warm.  Maybe Flo could “host” in Austin which at least is somewhat centrally (east to west) located.

I think you have to plan for an arena or an indoor FB stadium.  We don't know what the situation will be like in April; maybe the coming wave of death will finally convince pinheads to wear masks everywhere and by next April things will have settled down some.  It sounds like the folks in Oxford are onto something so maybe we'll have a usable vaccine in six months (breaking all records for vaccine development along the way).  I agree, if all you need is a large dry flat area with nearby hotel accommodations for maybe 1200 people, then there are lots of places that could host NCAAs.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:31 PM, NJDan said:

Yeah... but look at all of the slackers Vito lost to in high school.

There was this guy named Yanni... that was his first loss.  And then there was... oh yea. That was IT!!!!

4 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

We don't know what the situation will be like in April; maybe the coming wave of death will finally convince pinheads to wear masks everywhere

Trump has declared wearing masks to be patriotic.  Things are looking up.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/07/20/president-trump-declares-masks-patriotic-against-coronavirus/

I hope they start enforcing things soon.  Maybe Trump should send his storm troopers to Walmart and Lowe's to enforce it.  Nah, it would irritate The Base.

Virginia was just added to the NY/NJ/CT Quarantine list along with nine other states.  Kills my trip to see my Mom this weekend.  Worst thing is, I could see this coming weeks ago.  The backwater counties in Virginia are all increasing at rates of 15 to 25% each week.