Sign in to follow this  
scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

But seriously, since his freshman year, Womack has looked lethargic.

Bump to 174 to make way for JJ was terrible for him (but good for Cornell to have Chavez at 165, pity he didn't take the mat last year).

Baughman and Richard both with quality matches against future AAs. Looked very good. I think Baughman finally makes it to the tournament this year, which would be a nice career finish.

Edited by ugarte

1 minute ago, ugarte said:

whatever the reason, he is not strong enough at 174 to be as bad on his feet as he is.

On his feet, he is mostly stalling, hanging onto a 2-on-1 or some other tie-up. 

174 FINAL | Brandon Womack loses a 6-5 decision to Kaleb Romero  

184 FINAL | Ben Darmstadt wins a 5-0 decision over Gavin Hoffman Cornell 6 | Ohio State 13

197 FINAL | Jonathan Loew loses an 18-6 major decision to Kollin Moore Cornell 6 | Ohio State 17

Edited by red blades

18 minutes ago, red blades said:

174 FINAL | Brandon Womack loses a 6-5 decision to Kaleb Romero  

184 FINAL | Ben Darmstadt wins a 5-0 decision over Gavin Hoffman Cornell 6 | Ohio State 13

1st time in seeing Darmstadt @ 184... I wonder where he cut the extra wt, looking extra skinny.

He had RT till forever, finally getting 2NF towards the end... modified assassin?

The season still early.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

285 FINAL | Brendan Furman loses a 4-3 decision to Gary Traub Cornell 6 | Ohio State 20

125 FINAL | Dominic LaJoie loses an 8-4 decision to Malik Heinselman Cornell 6 | Ohio State 23

133 FINAL | Chas Tucker wins by a 12-5 decision over Dylan Koontz Cornell 9 | Ohio State 23

Edited by red blades

Am I the only one who thought Furman was totally hosed with that 2 at the end?

-  Oops, missed fightingsioux's comments above.

Edited by RED

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

And 100 guys in Alabama are saying, "How come we could never beat that guy?"

Wait did Womack really have 422 wins in high school?  Maybe a case of HEW?

Edited by 1032004

4 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Turn the one-point losses into wins and put a starter at 165 and it's done.

That or don't redshirt your three best guys.

Or tOSU wins every match by pin and wins 60-0, or Cornell wins every match by pin and wins 60-0.

"We could have won that" has been said by every team and every wrestler since the ancient Greeks. Sports don't work that way.

10 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Turn the one-point losses into wins and put a starter at 165 and it's done.

That or don't redshirt your three best guys.

Who's the starter at 165?

The what-if on the red shirts isn't really a December argument.

NJDan & Red- No offense, you're both correct IF one wants to view wrestling matches--and really all sporting events--through a rear-view mirror. We could then re-score every athletic contest since the beginning of time! :-)

Been in wrestling since 1955: wrestler, coach, parent of wrestlers. Rather than looking back and playing the "what-if" game, I've learned to be more specific, to look at each move and each minute of each match as a learning experience, as a coaching tool for young wrestlers. We all know that weird things happen, a sudden loss of balance, a strange second of unexpected leverage, that's the essence of the sport. But what happened happened. What can one learn from it?

I (and most other coaches) like to look at film in a non-judgemental, logically critical manner WITH the wrestlers. Look what your opponent did; see it clearly; what could you have done? Don't know how to do that? No problem, let's teach you. No "what-if's", just stuff to work on tomorrow.

I live 5 minutes from the Covelli, just walked over today. Great atmosphere, SRO, no matter who one roots for we're all supporters of the sport and should be glad to see things like this. Many, many good teaching moments and I'm sure that both the tOSU coaches and the Cornell coaches will have plenty to work with next week!

Very impressed, as always, with Cornell wrestling. What a program!

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Wait did Womack really have 422 wins in high school?  Maybe a case of HEW?

He had some health issues in his sophomore season; and it's not clear if there have been any long term effects.  That said - he did go 22-11 last year, and 2-2 at NCAA's, losing to Mark Hall and then Skatzka (who finished 8th).  Not as high as some hoped after a very strong freshman campaign, but a long ways from HEW, I'd say.