Sign in to follow this  
SamStall365247

Super 32

No Super 32 post?

#1 seed at 106 goes down in the first match of the day. 

Regardless, PA is looking as impressive as ever. Too many good clubs to list.

Carson Manville barely beats a nobody. Thought the Florida kid might pull it out in the end. 

No real fireworks but expect to see some in the quarters. 

If I were a local coach, I'd host a tournament on Sunday for wrestlers that have been eliminated. Would probably be the second toughest tournament in the country. Could use weigh-ins from Friday night. 

Is there anywhere to eat here besides Olive Garden?

Speaking of food, I'd take the old guys drinking beer at Hooters on Saturday night over half of the college teams in the country...

Courtesy of FloArena: https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/d057187c-c011-4b52-8a87-e1a74449159a

Finals:

106Mason Gibson PA (Pennsylvania) DEC Cory Land (Alabama), 5-4

113Jacob Rivera (California) DEC Nico Provo Stratford, CT (Connecticut), 9-3

120Jordan Williams (Oklahoma) DEC Maximo Renteria (California), 5-3

126Nic Bouzakis Lutz, FL (Pennsylvania) DEC Nicholas Nardone (New Jersey), 7-3

132Joel Vandervere (Illinois) DEC Kenny Herrmann Bethlehem, PA (Pennsylvania), 6-2

138Lachlan Mcneil Scranton, PA (Pennsylvania) DEC Justin Rivera (Florida), 3-1

145Bretli Reyna (Florida) DEC Joshua Saunders (Missouri), 8-7 UTB

152Chase Saldate (California) DEC Peyton Hall (West Virginia), 3-2

160Cael Valencia (California) DEC Thayne Lawrence Perryopolis, PA (Pennsylvania), 7-5

170Greyden Penner (Missouri) DEC Gavin Kane (Georgia), 5-3

182Gerrit Nijenhuis (Pennsylvania) DEC John Poznanski (New Jersey), 4-3

195Santos Cantu (Oregon) DEC Brandon Hoselton (Illinois), 3-2

220Braxton Amos (West Virginia) DEC Chase Horne (Georgia), 8-2

285Hunter Catka (Pennsylvania) DEC Hayden Copass (Illinois), 8-2

I saw some clips on twitter regarding Mason Gibson. Looked really good for any age kid but as an 8th grader winning HS division he appears to be the next big stud. Any background on him like club and Pa Jr championships. 

5 hours ago, russling said:

I saw some clips on twitter regarding Mason Gibson. Looked really good for any age kid but as an 8th grader winning HS division he appears to be the next big stud. Any background on him like club and Pa Jr championships. 

Mason is a 3x PJW Champion. He is only the second 8th grader to win Super32 after another PA kid Ryan Crookham did it. Mason wrestles out of The Compound which is in the North of Pittsburgh area. It is somewhat affiliated with Young Guns which everyone knows about. Bill Bassett is his primary coach. 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Mason is a 3x PJW Champion. He is only tyhe second 8th grader to win Super32 after another PA kid Ryan Crookham did it. Mason wrestles out of The Compound which is in the North of Pittburgh area. It is somewhat affiliated with Young Guns which everyone knows about. Bill Bassett is his primary coach. 

As an outsider, can you explain to me how the two clubs are affiliated?

1 hour ago, SamStall365247 said:

As an outsider, can you explain to me how the two clubs are affiliated?

Bill Bassett is friends with Strittmatter and the two clubs aren't too far away from each other so some of the wrestlers go to both clubs. 

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Mason is a 3x PJW Champion. He is only the second 8th grader to win Super32 after another PA kid Ryan Crookham did it. Mason wrestles out of The Compound which is in the North of Pittsburgh area. It is somewhat affiliated with Young Guns which everyone knows about. Bill Bassett is his primary coach. 

Is that an offshoot of Fretwell's club out of Georgia? I know they've opened multiple locations. He's built a great brand over the last 10 years. 

5 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Is that an offshoot of Fretwell's club out of Georgia? I know they've opened multiple locations. He's built a great brand over the last 10 years. 

No. This is fully run by Bassett. There is another one in Murrysville with the wrestling run by Shane Valko.

Hunter Catka was one of the most impressive wrestlers to me. It was crazy to see him lift Copass up into the air like he was a 126lber.. 

Of the runner-ups, Hoselton looked supremely talented, but a little out of shape and physically less developed than the others. With his skill set, he will be an absolute monster once he physically catches up to the others. 

51 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

Of the runner-ups, Hoselton looked supremely talented, but a little out of shape and physically less developed than the others. With his skill set, he will be an absolute monster once he physically catches up to the others. 

At the end of one of Hoselton's matches, his dad tells the individual during commentary that he has torn ligaments in his thumb and hasn't been able to practice for three weeks.  He is also going into his Jr year so he has time to get his body ready for the next level.