HFO

LEHIGH ENGINEERS

19 minutes ago, Spladle88 said:

Very vanilla standard information on a scholastic event basically hidden behind a pay wall (subscription newsletter) till the day before the event when the school information director is "allowed" to release the information.......wonder why the average age of the fan base is around 72????  

I'm usually on board with Spladle, but just to annoy him in this instance this pretty much average age fan was overjoyed to get some real LU wrestling news after the long drought and before the pack. Very interesting the weights at which some of the wrestlers are supposed to go as well as a high percentage of the matchups - most pitting top contenders at a weight or highly rated recruits versus top contenders.

Edited by witwhiz

Sure you were overjoyed, I would have been also, but I think the whole pay for scholastic sports news thing in this day and age is detrimental to the future of the program.  The few that subscribe smile and cackle over their "inside" knowledge.  I could afford the subscription without any trouble and I'm not even close to retirement age yet.  I've thought about subscribing but just feel it's a major misstep in an otherwise very good program. 

So you're an alumni thinking ....."hey, I wonder who is wrestling in wrestle offs next week, wonder if it would be worth the trip, oh wait I know,  I'll just wait to make plans till the day before when the information is released??"   Not all alumni live within an hour drive of the university anymore (was a much higher percentage 30 years ago).   The school is living in the dark ages as far as information being available to there alumni , they are great at promoting past accomplishments and post event details, but promoting upcoming events and giving out information that makes you want to go to upcoming events not so much.  The feel is that there is a agreement out there that if you give us money and if you subscribe to our newsletter we give a sh%t about you, if not well we'll let you know when and if we feel like it.  Great for keeping the hardcore donor happy, not very good for building a future fan base.

I like Pat Santoro as a coach, I give him well above a solid B in everything except his code of silence narrative.  The we don't stream wrestle-offs because other teams could be scouting us thought process?  Releasing information the day before an event (two sometimes at the very most)?  You shouldn't make it "hard" on alumni to want to support the team, you should make it as easy as possible.  i've grown to like Wally but the whole newsletter thing stinks of being an old tradition that was once relevant and insightful,  to now being a outdated money grab that is  harmful to the growth of the younger fan base.  As of now, what 2 days before the event, no article or news on Lehigh website, sorry not ok to an alumni living 5 hours away.......

Just my thoughts, don't expect everyone to agree..........

Edited by Spladle88

26 minutes ago, Spladle88 said:

Sure you were overjoyed, I would have been also, but I think the whole pay for scholastic sports news thing in this day and age is detrimental to the future of the program.  The few that subscribe smile and cackle over their "inside" knowledge.  I could afford the subscription without any trouble and I'm not even close to retirement age yet.  I've thought about subscribing but just feel it's a major misstep in an otherwise very good program. 

So you're an alumni thinking ....."hey, I wonder who is wrestling in wrestle offs next week, wonder if it would be worth the trip, oh wait I know,  I'll just wait to make plans till the day before when the information is released??"   Not all alumni live within an hour drive of the university anymore (was a much higher percentage 30 years ago).   The school is living in the dark ages as far as information being available to there alumni , they are great at promoting past accomplishments and post event details, but promoting upcoming events and giving out information that makes you want to go to upcoming events not so much.  The feel is that there is a agreement out there that if you give us money and if you subscribe to our newsletter we give a sh%t about you, if not well we'll let you know when and if we feel like it.  Great for keeping the hardcore donor happy, not very good for building a future fan base.

I like Pat Santoro as a coach, I give him well above a solid B in everything except his code of silence narrative.  The we don't stream wrestle-offs because other teams could be scouting us thought process?  Releasing information the day before an event (two sometimes at the very most)?  You shouldn't make it "hard" on alumni to want to support the team, you should make it as easy as possible.  i've grown to like Wally but the whole newsletter thing stinks of being an old tradition that was once relevant and insightful,  to now being a outdated money grab that is  harmful to the growth of the younger fan base.  As of now, what 2 days before the event, no article or news on Lehigh website, sorry not ok to an alumni living 5 hours away.......

Just my thoughts, don't expect everyone to agree..........

100% agree

23 minutes ago, jon said:

Serious question: What's the pricing scheme for this Lehigh Wrestling newsletter thing?

-------------------------------------------------

"LUWN SUBSCRIPTIONS: New Reader rate: 3 mo free & the next 12 mo. at just $50.Renewals: checks or PayPal to ROBY PUBLISHING, 28 Chancery Ct, Millville, NJ 08332 Renewal rate: $75/year; the avg sent $87 (extra amounts are voluntary gratuities). For questions or to request a PayPal

invoice from Roby by emailing dennydiehl@aol.com"

35 minutes ago, Spladle88 said:

I like Pat Santoro as a coach, I give him well above a solid B in everything except his code of silence narrative.

I wonder if that policy goes back to the Greg Strobel era?  Strobel put a lot of emphasis on strong scouting (and he was really good at it)... and presumably, also defense against scouting.

Maybe, who knows?  But that day has come and gone, too much video out there to pretend that is an effective strategy anymore.  The day after the event you can usually see all the "highlights" from some online source......and the highlights include the takedown moves that worked, the top moves that worked etc.......

Wrestleoffs/intersquad matches have become a show the team off/money grab....... which is fine, but make people want to come or for those too far away make it accessible via video, think long term instead of how much you can grab that day.......make people want to attend.......the whole thought process that if they can view it online they won't attend the event, sorry I don't buy it........the more I know about the team and the more tied to the team an alumni is the more they will want to attend the events, but make them feel far away and uninformed, interest in the team declines........

As an alumni I paid a lot of money to go to the school, make donations to the school thru alumni fund and other fundraisers (some of which I would guess pays towards athletic scholarships or academic scholarships the athletes are given)......now I am supposed to pay money for information on upcoming events and news if I don't want to find out about it 48 hours or less ahead of time???  How often do you make plans to travel 5 hours away/miss work for an event 48 hours before it happens??  

Again just my opinion, but I would guess others feel the same.......

I agree that if information is available to and publishable by Wally, it should be available to the general public at the same time (although that might ... um ... put Wally out of business). It could be, though, that there aren't in house resources to do so.  After all, the posted team schedule is still showing Oklahoma as an opponent at the South Beach Duals when Missouri replaced Oklahoma some time ago.

Lehigh still employs a Sports Information Director does it not? School has 17 levels of admin everywhere else but the SID farms out basic info distribution to alums? Spladle did a nice job of sugar coating his point of view. Allow MH to rip the pretty packaging off:

If you want to run a national program then start paying attention to it. Top level coaches and wrestling talent in place. Location is an absolute hotbed of wrestling talent.  Will anyone but the alums care to market the good things going on in the room?

Who said it was farmed out? DRD got the info and published it. He charges for it and hence Cary stood by that not wanting to do anything to compromise what DRD does. He never said the SID withheld info. If any of you had gotten the info you could have published here. Wanting to video stream is a different issue. I'm torn on the subject. Most of the wrestlers are filmed somewhere and can be seen. But not many schools have public wrestle-offs or demos or whatever you want to call it and I haven't seen them stream their practices (which is essentially what this is) so why add to the convenience factor for opponents?

7 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Who said it was farmed out? DRD got the info and published it. He charges for it and hence Cary stood by that not wanting to do anything to compromise what DRD does. He never said the SID withheld info. If any of you had gotten the info you could have published here. Wanting to video stream is a different issue. I'm torn on the subject. Most of the wrestlers are filmed somewhere and can be seen. But not many schools have public wrestle-offs or demos or whatever you want to call it and I haven't seen them stream their practices (which is essentially what this is) so why add to the convenience factor for opponents?

Track is streaming the Princeton Open on 11/3, and Flo is streaming the Journeyman on 11/9-10.  But streaming the Brown/White wrestle-offs is over the line as far as giving opponents an edge?  The wrestle-offs are of far less value to opponents, as they'll just see guys who are familiar with each other going at it, which isn't of as much value as going against guys from other teams.  But they are of value to Lehigh wrestling fans.

the point being made gimpeltf, which you well know, is that nobody should be paying extra to get basic info like who they might see if they chose to make the trip to Bethlehem - as many do from varying degrees of great distance. no problem with drd having a pay newsletter. big problem with info like match pairings not being available thru regular university info channels like the Lehigh sports website. basic stuff here and much more than basic stuff should be getting done thru the SID

Me thinks that the information DRD gets is well known by the SID who is choosing not to supply that same info to the general public but is "allowing" DRD to feed it to a paying few.......so with held is not that far fetched a term.....

Again as for video streaming, if you believe most programs do not show wrestle-offs/intraquads then you just aren't getting it.......are we a relevant program?  Cause most relevant programs with a real fan base stream them in some sort of way (too many different ways to do it to name them all)......and do you really believe scouting has anything to do with it? Cause sorry I just don't...... I think they believe it effects attendance and their bottom line on the event......which I will again say is short sighted and incorrect long term..........

What's the motivation for the Athletic department to withhold the info in favor of a paid source when none of that pay goes to the athletic department?

You guys love to complain about nothing substantial outside of entitlement issues. These are basically almost meaningless matches but part of a tradition dating back to when they did hold some meaning. I suspect the Athletic department would just as soon scrub the operation. Yes, a small amount of tickets that probably about pays for setup and breakdown and costs Volleyball a practice.

8 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

What's the motivation for the Athletic department to withhold the info in favor of a paid source when none of that pay goes to the athletic department?

You guys love to complain about nothing substantial outside of entitlement issues. These are basically almost meaningless matches but part of a tradition dating back to when they did hold some meaning. I suspect the Athletic department would just as soon scrub the operation. Yes, a small amount of tickets that probably about pays for setup and breakdown and costs Volleyball a practice.

Shocker they're not able carry on the tradition of the event considering all the official information dispensed about it. You're kind of admitting that "nobody cares" in the official SID chain at the school. By all means, let's not deprive volleyball of another practice and just cancel the whole thing. By God we've got to get that volleyball team up to snuff! Seems to be really putting everyone at Lehigh out to have to roll out the mats and turn on the scoreboard. MH did notice that he pays full nut for the event in his season tickets though. 

Scrub it then

Cornell doesn't show evidence of wrestle-offs, neither does PSU nor Okla St (other than some mention of matches after the fact). U Penn does show them on their schedule but I don't see anything about broadcast. Ohio State does stream on BTN+/Flo. That's the only one I could find on BTN+. Iowa holds them in the room. Looks like someone filmed.

8 minutes ago, Mountain Hawk said:

Shocker they're not able carry on the tradition of the event considering all the official information dispensed about it. You're kind of admitting that "nobody cares" in the official SID chain at the school. By all means, let's not deprive volleyball of another practice and just cancel the whole thing. By God we've got to get that volleyball team up to snuff! Seems to be really putting everyone at Lehigh out to have to roll out the mats and turn on the scoreboard. MH did notice that he pays full nut for the event in his season tickets though. 

Scrub it then

You need to grow up. And that's also volleyballs house so no idea what you're trying to cry about.

Yeah Gimp, I usually agree with you on things, but not on this.......as I recall there was a "tradition" of streaming the event also, but that suddenly became a bother and a scary scouting opportunity......the entitled ones seem to be the ones who think it makes sense to be forced to pay for something that should be something handled by the SID and the website......that attitude you just threw out there is kind of the attitude Lehigh Wrestling seems to covet throwing out to their alumni except for a select few........pay up, shut up and we'll let you know when we need you.........

"One volleyball practice.....  it's there house too?"     Come on you're better than that........

Edited by Spladle88

32 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Cornell doesn't show evidence of wrestle-offs, neither does PSU nor Okla St (other than some mention of matches after the fact). U Penn does show them on their schedule but I don't see anything about broadcast. Ohio State does stream on BTN+/Flo. That's the only one I could find on BTN+. Iowa holds them in the room. Looks like someone filmed.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/October/21/Intrasquad-duals-signal-beginning-of-Div-1-college-wrestling-season.  That's about 1/3 of the D1 teams, isn't it?

"Almost meaningless", Gimp?  According to Wally's newsletter, "This Thursday's event along with the upcoming Princeton and Journeymen Open events will be key in formulating initial dual lineups."

6 hours ago, Spladle88 said:

Very vanilla standard information on a scholastic event basically hidden behind a pay wall (subscription newsletter) till the day before the event when the school information director is "allowed" to release the information.......wonder why the average age of the fan base is around 72????  

**** Hey I am way, way below that age.

"Wrestle-Off Lineup for Thursday Oct 24th"

125 Brandon Paetzell v Mitch Polito
133 Joe Lobeck v Jared Lane
133 Nick Farro v Connor McGonagle
141 Ryan Pomrinca v Malyke Hines
149 Luke Karam v Jimmy Hoffman
157 Josh Humphries v AJ Burkhart
165 Chase Gallik v Brian Meyer
174 Kent Lane v Josh Logan
174 Edmond Ruth v Trey Cornish
184 Chris Weiler v Eli Grape
197 Jake Jakobsen v Elijah Jones
275 Victor Lacombe v Andrew McDonald

It's out there one way or another..........just not from the athletic department

and I said AVERAGE Cary lol

Edited by Spladle88