Jimmy Cinnabon

Best wrestler to never make the Olympics?

Some really great answers so far, and so many people make Olympic teams the list has to be short... but for me its Grant Nakamura from Iowa State. Really thought he had a shot at it back in 04. But even the best struggle sometimes.

I’m sure there’s many, but I’ll throw out Lee Fullhart since he came real close to beating Cael for the Olympic spot.
Yeah i reckon I should look back at old trials placers. Dake may go down as the best since he will likely keep poachin non-Olympic-weight Golds... but his career isnt over... Hell Taylor may also never see an Olympics. Will be interesting next few years

a few others that come to mind: Kevin Darkus World Silver, Joe McFarland World Silver,  LeeRoy Smith World Silver and the '84 drama, Tom Erickson 4th in the world stuck behind Big Bruce for many years 

5 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Lee Kemp or are we not counting the wrestlers that won the 1980 trials? 3 Time World Champ which is one more than Dake.  Gene Mills was also part of that 1980 group.

Good question... Kemp would be the answer if you take it as best to never wrestle in the Olympics. Technically he did qualify, so I’m not sure if he is considered an Olympian or not?

It's subjective, but Lee Kemp doesn't count to me.  IMO the spirit of the question is the best guy who wasn't good enough to make the team because someone domestically beat him out.  Beating everyone, qualifying for the team and not wrestling because of a boycott isn't the same as losing to someone in the OTTs.