Jimmy Cinnabon

Best wrestler to never make the Olympics?

16 hours ago, sidakova4991 said:

Akhmed Gadzhimagomedov, Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov and Magomed Kurbanaliev are all good choices for us, too

Kurbanaliev is probably one of the most talented.

Is Bekbulatov the best to never make a World or Olympic team?

6 hours ago, Gantry said:

It's subjective, but Lee Kemp doesn't count to me.  IMO the spirit of the question is the best guy who wasn't good enough to make the team because someone domestically beat him out.  Beating everyone, qualifying for the team and not wrestling because of a boycott isn't the same as losing to someone in the OTTs. 

I agree with you, but there is something to be said for best guy to not get the opportunity to wrestle in the games... I can’t imagine how bad that must’ve hurt to see his dreams of being an Olympic world champ disappear from something totally out of his control!

16 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I agree with you, but there is something to be said for best guy to not get the opportunity to wrestle in the games... I can’t imagine how bad that must’ve hurt to see his dreams of being an Olympic world champ disappear from something totally out of his control!

Lee Kemp is the American with the most world titles without wrestling at the Olympics.  There are two Soviets who had the same number or more titles without wrestling at the Olympics.

Aslan Khadartsev won three world titles in 1983 and 1986 at 100kg and in 1987 at 100+kg.  He also competed at worlds in 1989 and got bronze at 100+kg. Three world titles and a bronze is the exact same results at Kemp.  He obviously missed out on the 1984 games because of the boycott.  Not 100% sure if he would have been the guy at 100kg in 1984 because the next year Leri Khabelov  won worlds at 100kg for the Soviets, his first of 6 world/olympic titles. Khadartsev was the Soviet rep at the Friendship games in 1984 and won the title at 100kg, though I have no knowledge on how that team was selected.  In 1988 the Soviets sent Khabelov at 100kg and Gobezhishvili at 130kg both won gold.  Both also represented the unified team in 1992 and won medals.

Salman Khasimikov won four world titles for the Soviets at 100+kg in 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983. Soslan Andiyev represented  the Soviets at the 1980 games and won gold.  This was the 6th of his 6 world/Olympic titles.  In 1984 Khasimikov obviously didn't wrestle in the Olympics due to the boycott.  He also wasn't the Soviet's rep at the 1984 Friendship games that honor went to Malkhaz Mermanishvili who won them.  In 1985 Gobezhishvili was the Soviet rep at 100+kg and won worlds and as stated earlier Gobezhishvili was the rep at 130kg in 1988 and 1992.

I imagine now it is more likely to get a 4 time world champ and that doesn't the Olympics.  In the past the 80s there were 10 weights at both the world and the Olympics so if you were the best in the world 4 years then there had to be an Olympic games somewhere in the middle of those 4 years and you probably got to go.  In all three instances where someone won 3 or more a boycott played some roll.  This will probably be more common now that there are 6 weights at the Olympics and 10 at Worlds.  Since non-Olympic weights started in 2014 there have been two wrestlers who won 2 world titles at non-olympic weights and not yet made an Olympics - Kyle Dake and Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov.

Tom Erickson, stuck behind Baumgartner for a decade.  Could beat anyone else but him.  Also Stephen Neal, world champion, looked unbeatable but McCoy had his number and couldn't beat him in the trials or anywhere.  

[/qu...