Sign in to follow this  
sidakova4991

If the Olympic Teams remained the same as this year's World's teams...

Would they become Olympic champions?

57kg:  Uguev

65kg:  Rashidov

74kg:  Sidakov

86kg:  Yazdani

97kg:  Sadulaev

125kg:  Petriashvili

Honestly, if Uguev, Rashidov, Sidakov and Sadulaev were to be successful at next year's Russian nationals, I would label them as favorites for the 2020 Olympic games (especially Sadulaev, Uguev, Yazdani and Sidakov) - not so sure who would win the rematch of many rematches: Petriashvili/Akgul; I think Rashidov is the best at 65kg right now, despite having the controversy vs. Aliyev.  

I don't see Downey or anybody else having success vs. Yazdani - but Taylor beats all at 86 - so I hope he is healthy for next year. 

I know this is all hypothetical, but I can see a minimum of 3 golds for Russia (57, 74 and 97) and Rashidov has a strong possibility at 65.  125 is clearly still between Akgul and Petriashvili.  74 is closer, but Sidakov shut down Chamizo and beat Burroughs narrowly twice (and shut Burroughs down for the majority of this year's match, too).  

So without an official team score being kept at the Olympics, how do we calculate the "unofficial" score?  Russia of course is the overwhelming favorite, but stranger things have happened than for us to have 3 Champs and 3 more medals next year.  It could be one hell of a team score if we get healthy and a few good draws.

57kg - Strong possibility

65kg - Weight too deep and matches too close.  One mistake and Rashidov doesn't place.

74kg - Strong possibility

86kg - A healthy Taylor beats Yaz.  I could see this latest version of Cox beating Yaz as well.  Yaz is a possible, but unlikely, if one of those two are in the mix.

97kg - Strong possibility.  Will be interesting to see how Sharifov keeps up, and if Snyder's move to NLWC allows him to improve enough to claim the top spot once again.

125kg - 50/50, at best.  With Akghul there, it's a tossup.  One mistake can cost him.  

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

57kg - Strong possibility

65kg - Weight too deep and matches too close.  One mistake and Rashidov doesn't place.

74kg - Strong possibility

86kg - A healthy Taylor beats Yaz.  I could see this latest version of Cox beating Yaz as well.  Yaz is a possible, but unlikely, if one of those two are in the mix.

97kg - Strong possibility.  Will be interesting to see how Sharifov keeps up, and if Snyder's move to NLWC allows him to improve enough to claim the top spot once again.

125kg - 50/50, at best.  With Akghul there, it's a tossup.  One mistake can cost him.  

The only close match for Rashidov was against Aliyev and Musukaev, he clearly beat Otoguro and would tech fall Punia because of his bad defense imo.  If he beats Aliyev, he is no.1, I suppose we will find out at next year's European Championships.  I think Rashidov is the best at 65 right now.

I really hope Cox goes to 97 and challenges Snyder; Taylor is so fun to watch and is the best at 86 when healthy.  He had a close match with Kurugliev in 2018, but still persevered and got through it.  

I am all for Sadulaev vs. Snyder 3, but I do think Sadulaev is way more consistent and just better right now.  He never makes mistakes and is more or less impenetrable when it comes to defense/when he is ahead on points.  

57 - doubt it. Uguev looked vulnerable. 

65 - Rashidov is the best wrestling of the group. I’ve thought that for the last 3 years, but he only won one of them. Weight is deep, but Rashidov would be my pick. 

74 - Burroughs or Dake are the biggest threat. He has to be the favorite at the moment. 

86 - Taylor beats him. Jden might, but Jden is an unknown at this weight

97 - Snyder or Jden could challenge him, but Sadulaev is the heavyweight favorite out of any weight in Men’s Freestyle

125 - Petro has to be a heavy favorite. I know I know...but look at the last couple of years. Petro could lose (euro finals) but I’m picking him, especially at 125 where a bad draw can sap your energy. Petro always keeps going and Turkey just doesn’t. I hope Gable Steveson wins it all

I think on paper you have to consider Sidakov the favorite at 74, but I don’t think you can count on him for your “minimum of 3 gold medals”. He was soo close with Burroughs even though he is 2-0 against him, I think you have to consider that match a toss up. Plus there’s this guy named Dake who I think will probably beat them both. I’m a big Burroughs fan so I hope he wins trials, but if Dake makes the team, I think he wins gold.

Well I am excited to see what kind of positive impact the NLWC has on SnyderMan. As far as the rest of this thread goes, I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I think we will have Gilman or Lee at 57, at

65, I have no clue, but my gut is telling me Zain.

74, I think it’s going to be Dake.

86, call me crazy but I think J’den drops and it’s him vs DT. I think J’den drops because I think he figures that it’s a surer path to Olympic Gold. 

97, SnyderMan, even if J’den does come up. But as I mentioned above, I am excited to see what Cael and company will be able to do with Kyle. 

125, I am not sure if it’s going to be Gwizz or Gable. I know Cassar beat Gable, but until I see Cassar wrestle some Freestyle, I think it’s between Gable and Gwiz. 

So if we have Fix at 57, I think he can medal, likewise will Gilman. I guess the real question is Spencer Lee, and will he be the juggernaut that we all know and love. 

65, If it’s Zain I think he does better, but right now I think it’s long odds to a medal. If it’s Yianni I think his style improves his chances at a medal. 

74, if it’s JB, I think he medals, If it’s Dake I think we see him in the finals at the very minimum. And I think he wins a Gold.

86, J’den or DT, both are capable of winning the Gold, and whoever it is that we send, wins. 

97, SnyderMan, Bronze at the worst, but I hope that Kyle can return to his “Golden Form.”

125, If it’s Gwizz, I think he get a Bronze. If it’s Gable I am not as confident, even though I believe Gable will be the guy at this weight maybe as early as 2021.

14 hours ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

Rashidov will have some tough matches if he has to go through Russian Nationals, Ramonov is coming back at 65kg and is very tough when healthy.  

I thought a retirement was announced for Ramonov?

On 10/16/2019 at 8:11 PM, Eagle26 said:

I think on paper you have to consider Sidakov the favorite at 74, but I don’t think you can count on him for your “minimum of 3 gold medals”. He was soo close with Burroughs even though he is 2-0 against him, I think you have to consider that match a toss up. Plus there’s this guy named Dake who I think will probably beat them both. I’m a big Burroughs fan so I hope he wins trials, but if Dake makes the team, I think he wins gold.

This is tough to type, but...   we used to say the same thing about JB. Champs find a way, find that extra gear, stand on the podium. Sidakov is currently in that phase of his career and even though he is JB's archnemesis we need to appreciate how great he is.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

This is tough to type, but...   we used to say the same thing about JB. Champs find a way, find that extra gear, stand on the podium. Sidakov is currently in that phase of his career and even though he is JB's archnemesis we need to appreciate how great he is.

I agree, but on the flip side, it did catch up to JB. I don’t think anyone can consistently win THAT close. I know many make a living off of winning close matches, but in this case we are talking about tying the match on a last second step out. I certainly give Sidakov props for winning twice that close, but I just can’t see it going his way every time when it’s that close.

I like it that Daton is going full time freestyle.  I don't believe he could make the team again without doing that.  I'm seeing 2 golds and a silver, with 2 bronze as a possibility.  Damn, that would have to be very close to winning the phantom team title.  In a weird way we have a better chance with 6 weights than 10, even with losing a couple gold medalists.

Edited by Peso