pennsyrules

What does an athlete make at a RTC?

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I don’t remember the number but I think the penn RTC offered JB a few hundred thousand dollars a year a few years back to move a train there. 

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-funding-burroughs-training-is-underappreciated-part-of/article_3e0b079d-bc56-5899-b5bc-7436c4305a12.html

impressive to turn down this offer and this was 2yrs ago

Edited by CaliWrestler

9 hours ago, CaliWrestler said:

Interesting.  That article also says the whole Nebraska WC only raised “in excess of $200k” per year.  So if Green gets $30k and they have other expenses, I’d guess JB isn’t making more than $100k

Edited by 1032004

Do RTC athletes get comped additional benefits such as housing, health insurance policy, car from a local dealership booster, grad school stipend etc? Because while not much a $40,000 salary would go much farther if you are not paying for standard expenses.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Do RTC athletes get comped additional benefits such as housing, health insurance policy, car from a local dealership booster, grad school stipend etc? Because while not much a $40,000 salary would go much farther if you are not paying for standard expenses.

I know many RTC's have a house they can offer housing for a discount, but everything else is dependent on the size of RTC. NLWC has health insurance, most do not I'd imagine. It is difficult to tell without looking specifically at the budget/expenses of that particular RTC.

47 minutes ago, FishfinderAK said:

Guess I am confused by the whole RTC thing.

Let’s start w a few questions. Where does this money come from? What benefit is there to the RTC to bring in a big athlete?

I sincerely apologize for my ignorance.

I don't know it either, but I can suggest they might get more money if athletes medal at certain events and maybe it's just the prestige to have Kyle Snyder in the room everyday to attract athletes to join Penn state // nlwc

1 hour ago, FishfinderAK said:

Guess I am confused by the whole RTC thing.

Let’s start w a few questions. Where does this money come from? What benefit is there to the RTC to bring in a big athlete?

I sincerely apologize for my ignorance.

Most if not all RTC's are non-profit. The money comes from donors typically associated with the program. The benefit is having post-graduate wrestlers training with current college wrestler (which is legal per NCAA waivers). 

On 10/17/2019 at 6:36 AM, bnwtwg said:

Very good question. As "professional" athletes the health insurance would be a great perk. I had always assumed that the college-adjacent RTCs offered insurance under an umbrella policy through the athletic dept, but I have no idea if the NCAA (or public schools, although most athletic depts operate as semi-independent entities) would allow it. Seems like kind of a grey area, but then again so is access to a college program's facilities, training staff, etc. to sponsored or monetarily-compensated athletes.

4 hours ago, pamela said:

Very good question. As "professional" athletes the health insurance would be a great perk. I had always assumed that the college-adjacent RTCs offered insurance under an umbrella policy through the athletic dept, but I have no idea if the NCAA (or public schools, although most athletic depts operate as semi-independent entities) would allow it. Seems like kind of a grey area, but then again so is access to a college program's facilities, training staff, etc. to sponsored or monetarily-compensated athletes.

They can stay on their parents health insurance until they are 28 

All RTC's are required to be registered 501c3 organizations (not-for-profit).  They are funded nearly entirely from gifts and contributions, although a few have made decent investment earnings.  It's hard to say exactly what everyone is making but I think $25k - $50k is a pretty good estimate for your more standard athletes, with some exceptions for our star male athletes making $75k+.  

For example, in 2017 NLWC paid $368k in salaries and wages to athletes and coaches.  I think at the time they had 6 or 7 athletes, plus 2 or 3 coaches? Make whatever assumptions you want, but that averages out to something pretty modest on a per-head basis. 

So, to answer the original question of what do RTC athletes get paid?  Not a lot.  Not to mention, the shelf-life on an average RTC athlete's "career" is very short, and basically only prepares them for a career in coaching.