Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

PSU room battles/roster spots

Recommended Posts

Where do people see some interesting roster battles happening?

125 - Schnupp, Teske, Meredith.  Teske the favorite to emerge.

149 - Verk is the favorite but what about Bo Pipher?

174 - Could Hall RS and have Starocci start instead?

197 - AA Kyle Connel or stud freshman Michael Beard?  This is the most intriguing room battle to watch.

285 - AntTheChamp obviously starts but I wonder how Seth Nevills fares against him in the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

125 Teske

149 Verk

174 Hall

197 Conel, so long as he is productive

Hwt Cassar

The back ups are all good to varying degrees, but these are the starters imo. The only weight where there is no drop off should the back up be pressed into action is 197 imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm lazy right this sec, who is PSU's 3rd option at 197? I wonder if they might somewhat limit Conel's match count while still preserving Beard's RS option. Who gets some dual meet time under this scenario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-125-
I expect Teske to separate himself, if holding the weight doesn't become an issue.  Rumor last season was he was having trouble with it.  That being 'understood' then I will say that we might see Schnupp at a few duals this year for the sake of giving Teske a break(maybe a weekend mid-January or something).  I wouldn't be surprised to see Teske AA, proving considerable improvement(which can be expected in the PSU room).

-133-
This will be RBY until he decides to go up to 141, if he decides that after Lee leaves.  If we see him succumb to injury at some point this season, I am very excited to see what Jack Davis can do after a year in the room.  I expect high to mid AA from RBY.

-141-
This is Lee.  They don't really have anyone to insert here if he gets banged up.  Maybe Jack Davis?  Lee and the room believe he is a favorite for the title.  Anything less will be a disappointment to them.

-149-
Verk's style is very low scoring, but he has the ability to place very high next season, and I expect him to make a leap and win more of those close scoring matches.  I wouldn't be surprised at seeing him very high on the podium come NCAAs, with all 1-2 point matches. A backup or another prospect to consider here is Bo Pipher, if a break is needed, or injuries take hold.

-157-
We saw how savvy Berge was at 74kg(163lbs) when he wasn't having to cut.  I am still of the mind that Deakin should go 165 in preparation for trials, however if he is at 157, I put Berge right below the level of Young and Deakin, so Tier 3, but right in the mix for high AA. Pipher would also be the backup to consider here.  Maybe Joe Lee?

-165-
I expect Cenzo to give it a right proper go his final season.  Nobody to give him a run in the room for 165 unless Hall decides to drop. Backup of Pipher or Kraeszig(who dat?)? If the title is on the line and Cenzo goes down I expect Joe Lee to come off shirt.  Cenzo is one of a few contending at 165, and I favor him if he ends up going 174(right now, that is).

-174-
Same thing as above, however nobody will be dropping to 174 or going to 174 to challenge Hall.  If he goes down, expect Cenzo to come up.  If Hall goes down to injury, expect Joe Lee or Aaron Brooks to step in.  I expect Hall to win a title at either 165 or 174.

-184-
Rasheed unless injured or the title is on the line and Brooks shows the coaching staff he is ready now.  I expect mid to low AA output from Conel.

-197-
Conel unless injured or the title is on the line and Beard shows the coaching staff he is ready now.  I expect mid to low AA output from Conel.

-285-
Cassar unless injured.  Cassar will contend for a title again and imho is still the favorite.  Nevills can step right in and contend for a high AA spot right away.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

I'm lazy right this sec, who is PSU's 3rd option at 197? I wonder if they might somewhat limit Conel's match count while still preserving Beard's RS option. Who gets some dual meet time under this scenario?

Austin Hoops maybe?  Went 6-6 at 184(2-6 against D1).

Honestly they could use Hoops at 184/197 in preparation for limited load for the both of them.  Alternate them.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/60/penn-state/profile

Edited by nhs67
Because edited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

125 Teske

149 Verk

174 Hall

197 Conel, so long as he is productive

Hwt Cassar

The back ups are all good to varying degrees, but these are the starters imo. The only weight where there is no drop off should the back up be pressed into action is 197 imo. 

I think Beard will be the guy. Konel has a great story but he just isn’t elite and is injury prone. I like him a lot. Beard is elite though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

-125-
I expect Teske to separate himself, if holding the weight doesn't become an issue.  Rumor last season was he was having trouble with it.  That being 'understood' then I will say that we might see Schnupp at a few duals this year for the sake of giving Teske a break(maybe a weekend mid-January or something).  I wouldn't be surprised to see Teske AA, proving considerable improvement(which can be expected in the PSU room).

-133-
This will be RBY until he decides to go up to 141, if he decides that after Lee leaves.  If we see him succumb to injury at some point this season, I am very excited to see what Jack Davis can do after a year in the room.  I expect high to mid AA from RBY.

-141-
This is Lee.  They don't really have anyone to insert here if he gets banged up.  Maybe Jack Davis?  Lee and the room believe he is a favorite for the title.  Anything less will be a disappointment to them.

-149-
Verk's style is very low scoring, but he has the ability to place very high next season, and I expect him to make a leap and win more of those close scoring matches.  I wouldn't be surprised at seeing him very high on the podium come NCAAs, with all 1-2 point matches. A backup or another prospect to consider here is Bo Pipher, if a break is needed, or injuries take hold.

-157-
We saw how savvy Berge was at 74kg(163lbs) when he wasn't having to cut.  I am still of the mind that Deakin should go 165 in preparation for trials, however if he is at 157, I put Berge right below the level of Young and Deakin, so Tier 3, but right in the mix for high AA. Pipher would also be the backup to consider here.  Maybe Joe Lee?

-165-
I expect Cenzo to give it a right proper go his final season.  Nobody to give him a run in the room for 165 unless Hall decides to drop. Backup of Pipher or Kraeszig(who dat?)? If the title is on the line and Cenzo goes down I expect Joe Lee to come off shirt.  Cenzo is one of a few contending at 165, and I favor him if he ends up going 174(right now, that is).

-174-
Same thing as above, however nobody will be dropping to 174 or going to 174 to challenge Hall.  If he goes down, expect Cenzo to come up.  If Hall goes down to injury, expect Joe Lee or Aaron Brooks to step in.  I expect Hall to win a title at either 165 or 174.

-184-
Rasheed unless injured or the title is on the line and Brooks shows the coaching staff he is ready now.  I expect mid to low AA output from Conel.

-197-
Conel unless injured or the title is on the line and Beard shows the coaching staff he is ready now.  I expect mid to low AA output from Conel.

-285-
Cassar unless injured.  Cassar will contend for a title again and imho is still the favorite.  Nevills can step right in and contend for a high AA spot right away.
 

This is the first I have seen of Hall dropping.  Troll maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sstern said:

This is the first I have seen of Hall dropping.  Troll maybe?

Then you haven't been following the forums much.

It has been jabbed at since the season end by quite a few of us(some who are close to the PSU room as well). Reasoning is that if he intends to give the Oly-trials a go, 163 is the most logical weight class for him.

Also-I expect him at 174... hence why I listed him there first.

Edited by nhs67
Fat fingers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Sstern said:

This is the first I have seen of Hall dropping.  Troll maybe?

Hall isn't dropping and, imo, his back up is most likely Carter Starocci unless they truly believe they need a lot of points at the weight, then it becomes Aaron Brooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Hall isn't dropping and, imo, his back up is most likely Carter Starocci unless they truly believe they need a lot of points at the weight, then it becomes Aaron Brooks.

Is Hall making a mid-December cut to 163 then back to 174 for the season until trials, then another cut to 163?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Then you haven't been following the forums much.

It has been jabbed at since the season end by quite a few of us(some who are close to the PSU room as well). Reasoning is that if he intends to give the Oly-trials a go, 163 is the most logical weight class for him.

Also-I expect him at 174... hence why I listed him there first.

Ahhh the old it was said in a forum so there must be some weight to it...thing. Kinda like Snyder going up to 125?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Ahhh the old it was said in a forum so there must be some weight to it...thing. Kinda like Snyder going up to 125?

Exactly like that, though not. Hall going 165(lbs) makes some sense. Snyder going 125(kg) doesn't make any sense.

Not that it holds any more merit to it, but I think the first I heard it was on FRL when they mentioned or joked at Cenzo going 174.

Likely where it gained steam on the boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Exactly like that, though not. Hall going 165(lbs) makes some sense. Snyder going 125(kg) doesn't make any sense.

Not that it holds any more merit to it, but I think the first I heard it was on FRL when they mentioned or joked at Cenzo going 174.

Likely where it gained steam on the boards.

FRL is your source for this? Their source is likely this msg board. See any problem here?

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KTG119 said:

I'm lazy right this sec, who is PSU's 3rd option at 197? I wonder if they might somewhat limit Conel's match count while still preserving Beard's RS option. Who gets some dual meet time under this scenario?

That's a very good idea and the only thing I have to say about it, and this is not a shot at them, is Penn State doesn't wrestle a lot of matches anyway. I mean they don't always even go to a multi-day tournament every year so he won't get a ton of matches if he's the starter anyway I wouldn't think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

FRL is your source for this? Their source is likely this msg board. See any problem here?

Well $HlT... they probably got it from me...

(joke:haha)

Hall doing a few cuts to 163 does make more sense than a season sustained at 165, unless Hall and/or the coaching staff determine otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Conel is way over ranked everywhere. He had one great weekend at the end of a season where he had 12 losses and didn't win the MAC. Then he missed a whole year due to injury. He should have to prove if he's the 3rd place guy or the 12 loss guy before he gets too much credit for this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IronChef said:

I think Conel is way over ranked everywhere. He had one great weekend at the end of a season where he had 12 losses and didn't win the MAC. Then he missed a whole year due to injury. He should have to prove if he's the 3rd place guy or the 12 loss guy before he gets too much credit for this season.

Well to be fair he’s not getting any credit for this season, just a little love in the picking where people are going to finish department. But I agree, show you can do it for more than a weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Boompa said:

PSU is throwing out whomever can garner the most points at NCAA'S.  Cael cannot allow Iowa to win which is why no one is taking a redshirt, olympic or otherwise...

Not sure that there is anyone that should Redshirt that is project to start. If you start with Hall, he is a guy without an Olympic wight at this point in his development. I'm not sure about dropping to 74kg. Hall has claimed never again at that weight. Bumping to 86kg seems like a nonstarter. He would need time to grow into that weight to complete.

I guess you could argue that RBY and Nick Lee would benefit from a RS but that is really about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 1:44 PM, JeanGuy said:

Not sure that there is anyone that should Redshirt that is project to start. If you start with Hall, he is a guy without an Olympic wight at this point in his development. I'm not sure about dropping to 74kg. Hall has claimed never again at that weight. Bumping to 86kg seems like a nonstarter. He would need time to grow into that weight to complete.

I guess you could argue that RBY and Nick Lee would benefit from a RS but that is really about it.

 To take that one step further, Hall stated that he would never make 74 Kg again BEFORE they switched from day before to same day weigh ins.  Making It the same day is like going down a weight class. I don’t see it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

197- I'm still not sold on Conel. One good tournament does not make an automatic AA. If I remember correctly Zach Epperly took 3rd his RSO year and then DNP his RJR year then called it quits.

My question is, if conel does start, and aas high, does Cael get credit for coaching him up, or just for his recruiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...