Jimmy Cinnabon

PSU room battles/roster spots

5 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

197- I'm still not sold on Conel. One good tournament does not make an automatic AA. If I remember correctly Zach Epperly took 3rd his RSO year and then DNP his RJR year then called it quits.

Hokie that's an apples to oranges comparison. Conel's unseeded run to 3rd came off a 10 or so losses regular season, think he may not have even won the MAC tourney, vs Epperly getting 3rd after being an AA the year prior. and Epperly was then 4 seed in his blood round loss final season of competing. hardly a 'one good tournament guy'. time will tell if Conel goes down as one hit wonder or not. 

Edited by KTG119

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

Hokie that's an apples to oranges comparison. Conel's unseeded run to 3rd came off a 10 or so losses regular season, think he may not have even won the MAC tourney, vs Epperly getting 3rd after being an AA the year prior. and Epperly was then 4 seed in his blood round loss final season of competing. hardly a 'one good tournament guy'. time will tell if Conel goes down as one hit wonder or not. 

Conel had a pretty good redshirt year and freshman year he won 2 matches at ncaas was 16-0 in duals. He’s always had some success domestically in freestyle and has beaten a lot of good guys, it’s not like this guy had 1 good tournament his whole life. A lot of people bring up the 12 loses the guy missed a year bc of injury was suicidal ,quit wrestling and came back and by the end of that year took 3rd at ncaas, his overall body of work shows he’s not really a “ one hit wonder “ he’s not a world beater or a favorite but to brush off an Ncaa 3rd is a little disingenuous 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Conel had a pretty good redshirt year and freshman year he won 2 matches at ncaas was 16-0 in duals. He’s always had some success domestically in freestyle and has beaten a lot of good guys, it’s not like this guy had 1 good tournament his whole life. A lot of people bring up the 12 loses the guy missed a year bc of injury was suicidal ,quit wrestling and came back and by the end of that year took 3rd at ncaas, his overall body of work shows he’s not really a “ one hit wonder “ he’s not a world beater or a favorite but to brush off an Ncaa 3rd is a little disingenuous 

fair enough, and good info. I hope the guy is healthy enough to prove it one way or the other this season, and regardless, what he overcame and his run that NCAA tourney are as you said not to be brushed off.  

13 hours ago, KTG119 said:

fair enough, and good info. I hope the guy is healthy enough to prove it one way or the other this season, and regardless, what he overcame and his run that NCAA tourney are as you said not to be brushed off.  

Agreed. I like Conel a LOT, I love his style, but I'd be more of a fan if was at Kent State than PSU. I like an underdog story.