Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Kemerer at 174

4 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Is he a legit. 174 or is he up because he can't beat Marinelli at 165? Be honest, Iowa people.

I think he's big enough at 174, but would maybe be a 165 if Marinelli wasn't there. He supposedly walks around in the mid 180s already pretty lean. Not a huge 174, but not tiny. FWIW, Willie Saylor said Iowa fans have nothing to worry about with his size and he's known for always thinking people are too small for their weights.

12 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Is he a legit. 174 or is he up because he can't beat Marinelli at 165? Be honest, Iowa people.

I have not heard, read or seen anything about him ever thinking about going 165. In his recent interview with Bader, Kem really just made it sound like he was growing and he thinks he will be comfortable at 174. 

8 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

If he has any issues its most likely due to his having been injured multiple times. We all know it is no guarantee when wrestlers change weights too, and he jumped two weight classes. I think he will be good, but is he better than say Mike Labriola? I don't think that is a given. More like a toss up. 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

How will he deal with Hall's scrambling ability?  This is what got him in trouble vs Nolf at 157.

He has spent a year working on Danish rolls, it's why he is up at 174 and ready to roll with Hall.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

How will he deal with Hall's scrambling ability?  This is what got him in trouble vs Nolf at 157.

That isn't remotely true.

In fact, Kemerer's scrambling ability kept those matches much closer than they should have been, especially the first match. The first match finished 9-4. Nolf was 4/9 finishing takedowns in that match. Kemerer was very effective at slowing Nolf down with dive rolls. Nolf did no scrambling in that match. At big tens that year, Nolf was more efficient finishing his first 3 attempts cleanly, but Kemerer scrambled out of his final 2 attempts to prevent the major. Their NCAAs match had almost no scrambling on Nolf's part. In 3 matches, Kemerer has gotten to Nolf's legs twice, both defended with baseline defense. Nolf didn't have to scramble against Kemerer because he never gave Kemerer a whiff in the first place. 

Obviously, Nolf is a great scrambler, but people overestimate how important it is to his wrestling. Against good competition, he's very basic and very dominant. Hardly anybody gets to his legs. 

36 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Nolf did no scrambling in that match. At big tens that year, Nolf was more efficient finishing his first 3 attempts cleanly

Which is a good sign for Kemerer against Hall because you know Hall wont take a single shot.

42 minutes ago, Boompa said:

He always had the frame for 174 and has had two years to fill it.

He is top 4 if he stays healthy.

Heard that he couldn't lift weights for much of that time due to his shoulder injury.

Wow, I didn't realize Kimmer had grown so tall. I remember him being about the same height as Nolf, who was roughly the same height as IMart who is around 5'7". Kimmer and Marinelli are both listed as 5'9" on the team roster though. Kind of arbitrary, though not as bad as basketball.