Sign in to follow this  
jeffrideal

FRL Question - Greatest recruiter Gable v Sanderson

Interesting question, but I think FRL suffers a bit when it comes to age of their personalities.  When I was growing up in the 80's, all of the best wrestlers went to Iowa, at least the ones Gable wanted.  He dominated the recruiting scene.  In fact, I think even recently Gable has beaten Sanderson in the recruiting arena with Spencer Lee.  Whether he was directly involved in the recruiting process or not, Lee in part went to Iowa based on the legacy Gable built.  No way would Gable had lost Lee if Lee was an in-state recruit.  Cael did lose in-state Lee.     I think Gable was the better recruiter, but Sanderson is damn good and not finished yet. 

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Did Gable ever recruit a 2 time World and 1 time Olympic Gold away from his college to come to Iowa? I don't know the answer. 

There's more to the story than just 2+1.

Edited by jon

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Did Gable ever recruit a 2 time World and 1 time Olympic Gold away from his college to come to Iowa? I don't know the answer. 

Good question, but we are talking college, not pro.  Gable would have had Snyder out of HS anyway, LOL. 

3 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Good question, but we are talking college, not pro.  Gable would have had Snyder out of HS anyway, LOL. 

Could be. Maybe Gable should have continued to coach. I guess when they changed the scholarship rules that might have had an impact. 

With the resources then available, Gable was incredible, possibly the greatest.

However, is Spenser Lee a true comparison?  Did Nick Suriano play any role in the way Sanderson did (or didn't) recruit Lee?

As for recruiting, personally I have 1 Gable, 1(a) Sanderson. 3 Koll, 4 Ryan/Smith

1 hour ago, PSUSMC said:

However, is Spenser Lee a true comparison?  Did Nick Suriano play any role in the way Sanderson did (or didn't) recruit Lee?

As for recruiting, personally I have 1 Gable, 1(a) Sanderson. 3 Koll, 4 Ryan/Smith

But he didnt choose the right guy.  If memory serves, Fried was heavily considering Iowa until Gable recruited the Brands.  The Brands were the right choice.  Just saying, I think both are great, but Cael has a little way to go.   

2 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

Interesting question, but I think FRL suffers a bit when it comes to age of their personalities.  When I was growing up in the 80's, all of the best wrestlers went to Iowa, at least the ones Gable wanted.  He dominated the recruiting scene.  In fact, I think even recently Gable has beaten Sanderson in the recruiting arena with Spencer Lee.  Whether he was directly involved in the recruiting process or not, Lee in part went to Iowa based on the legacy Gable built.  No way would Gable had lost Lee if Lee was an in-state recruit.  Cael did lose in-state Lee.     I think Gable was the better recruiter, but Sanderson is damn good and not finished yet. 

Does Cael get credit for "indirectly recruiting" Ed Ruth then?

1 hour ago, PSUSMC said:

Cael recruited Spencer Lee HARD, and anybody saying otherwise is just lying to you.  They were very upset to lose out on him.  But it's a rare example of them losing a recruiting battle.

Cael is the best recruiter in history, especially since, in modern times, we know so much more about the wrestlers and are better able to gauge who will be "great"; everybody has similar information, and Cael still gets most of the best guys.

With Iowa set up to seriously contend for a these next two years for the first time in a while does anyone else think Gable should pull a Pat Riley move and run Brands out of town so he can take over and get the Hawkeyes one more team title?

22 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

With Iowa set up to seriously contend for a these next two years for the first time in a while does anyone else think Gable should pull a Pat Riley move and run Brands out of town so he can take over and get the Hawkeyes one more team title?

I doubt he has enough energy. 

Sitting in the stands and sharing stories about the good old days isn't the same as coaching every day. 

1 hour ago, Fishbane said:

He forgot the bronze from 2019.

Yeah that's a good point -- one that stands counter to the idea that Cael a wizard in recruiting. Cael may well be a wizard in recruiting but it seems pretty clear Snyder seeks change -- and so Snyder's decision not such a huge a feather in Cael's cap. Sadulaev the big feather lol.

49 minutes ago, jon said:

Yeah that's a good point -- one that stands counter to the idea that Cael a wizard in recruiting. Cael may well be a wizard in recruiting but it seems pretty clear Snyder seeks change -- and so Snyder's decision not such a huge a feather in Cael's cap. Sadulaev the big feather lol.

You reckon Cael has a shot at recruiting Sadulaev to NLWC?  I think that would put the debate to bed.

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Don’t know if he ever recruited anyone who had already won gold, but he recruited a whooooole many that would go on to win gold. Including three (and one silver) in one Olympics. 

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Don’t know if he ever recruited anyone who had already won gold, but he recruited a whooooole many that would go on to win gold. Including three (and one silver) in one Olympics. 

That's pretty good.