Jimmy Cinnabon

Is it possible to be a champion wrestler w/o lifting?

Meaning once you step into college you don't do heavy lifting...you drill, wrestle live, do conditioning, maybe some light flexibility focused stuff in the weight room...but no lifting of any weight or barbell of heavier than 45 pounds

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Cael didnt lift weights? I dont believe that.  Has John ever said he didnt? I dont think it has happened in the modern era.

I remember reading an article back when he was competing, that said he didn't lift much, and that 200 lbs was the most he had bench pressed.

I think that bodyweight exercises like pull-ups and push-ups can be just as effective as weight lifting for many athletes.

22 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

I remember reading an article back when he was competing, that said he didn't lift much, and that 200 lbs was the most he had bench pressed.

I think that bodyweight exercises like pull-ups and push-ups can be just as effective as weight lifting for many athletes.

I would be shocked if there was a d1 wrestling program in the last 20 years that didnt spend consistent time in the weight room. Pretty much every D1 college athletic department in the US employs a team of strength coaches to handle all the various sports. Yes, some of that could be bodyweight stuff, but even that is lifting weight and can be trained for pogressive overload. 

Plus, there are plenty of reasons to lift beyond putting up a large bench and getting huge.

Edited by russelscout

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Probably more of a factor at upper weights. John Smith can get away with not lifting, but I doubt Snyder is a national champ without his squats and deadlifts.

Even John though, do you really think he didnt ever lift? Clearly all of his guys do now so he sees the value in it. Maybe he is just a lengthy guy.

Some people can get away without lifting at all or very much and others need to have that kind of strength.  Probably one of the most level headed responses I've heard was that during the season it's important to do maintainence lifting, not trying to lift heavy and max out as often as you can, but by being steady and diligent with it and usually lifting lighter weights for more reps to build muscle endurance.  

10 hours ago, MNRodent said:

I’m stronger than Cael? I knew it

4 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Some people can get away without lifting at all or very much and others need to have that kind of strength.  Probably one of the most level headed responses I've heard was that during the season it's important to do maintainence lifting, not trying to lift heavy and max out as often as you can, but by being steady and diligent with it and usually lifting lighter weights for more reps to build muscle endurance.  

No max lift always bro

What about lifting weights to prevent injuries? What about lifting weights to keep muscle on while cutting weight and keeping your metabolic rate high?

You guys keep listing guys who look skinny and assume that they do not lift, but just because someone isnt huge doesnt mean they dont lift. I think you are underestimating what it takes to get huge and buff and also genetics plays a huge part in this. Does any one actually have an example of someone who they KNOW didnt lift? 

Edited by russelscout

12 hours ago, russelscout said:

Cael didnt lift weights? I dont believe that.  Has John ever said he didnt? I dont think it has happened in the modern era.

He said "heavy lifting".  No he did not do any heavy lifting.  I don't know that things were kept under the 45lb benchmark laid out, but I think everyone gets the idea of what's being asked.  

Edited by Lurker

8 hours ago, HFO said:

Sergei says yes and he has 3 Gold Medals.  Perfect technique.  

Sergei????  If you are talking Belaglozov.....8 time world and Olympic Champion.....as to weightlifting, I'd have to ask him  the next time I  see him....Fadz

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He said "heavy lifting".  No he did not do any heavy lifting.  I don't know that things were kept under the 45lb benchmark laid out, but I think everyone gets the idea of what's being asked.  

I clearly do not understand. I would consider a split of 3x10 as heavy lifting just as I would 5 x 5. What does a non-heavy lifting routine look like?