Jimmy Cinnabon

Is it possible to be a champion wrestler w/o lifting?

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

My friend, I truly have no idea what you are talking about.  What jabs did I take?  What claims am I making, other than it is in fact possible to become a championship level wrestler without heavy lifting.  And what did I bring up?  I'll play along with your brand of fun for a couple more minutes.  Please answer those questions.

haha ok then.

50 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What is and what isn't fun is in the eyes of the beholder.

(No, that's not an open invitation for you to start arguing what I consider fun)

This isn't passive aggressive? A slight jab, trying to make it seem like you are just a bit more civil than me while still getting that last word in so you could feel like I winner? "I'm not wrong, I'm just checking out because russel is no fun"

Why else would you say it? Honestly, why would you say it and then try to indirectly un-invite me to comment on it? Did you expect that I wouldn't read the comment when you quoted me? 

You don't want to argue, but you most certainly want to get the last word in, don't ya?

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

haha ok then.

This isn't passive aggressive? A slight jab, trying to make it seem like you are just a bit more civil than me while still getting that last word in so you could feel like I winner? "I'm not wrong, I'm just checking out because russel is no fun"

Why else would you say it? Honestly, why would you say it and then try to indirectly un-invite me to comment on it? Did you expect that I wouldn't read the comment when you quoted me? 

You don't want to argue, but you most certainly want to get the last word in, don't ya?

Yes, my apologies

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

What claims am I making, other than it is in fact possible to become a championship level wrestler without heavy lifting.

First you reset the terms of the argument. You said that the criteria set by the OP is lifting heavy, but you refuse to define what "heavy" qualifies as, and you think we should just ignore the part where he specified 45 lbs.  You claimed that you had proof that championship wrestlers don't need to lift, got defensive when I said you were assuming things, then bowed out when I asked for you to share that proof. 

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

First you reset the terms of the argument. You said that the criteria set by the OP is lifting heavy, but you refuse to define what "heavy" qualifies as, and you think we should just ignore the part where he specified 45 lbs.  You claimed that you had proof that championship wrestlers don't need to lift, got defensive when I said you were assuming things, then bowed out when I asked for you to share that proof. 

You got me.

Edited by Lurker

I don't think you have to put specific numbers on what qualifies as lifting heavy. Anyone who has spent time in a weight room knows the difference between someone who lifts hard vs someone who doesn't. And seems obvious that you can be pretty damn good without hitting the weights hard.

Here's a visual comparison between the two:
 dt1.thumb.jpg.a2cad7911223076de288d4c1593c3a8a.jpgdt2.thumb.jpg.0534d1225ff01f662899889667846ff1.jpg

Smith came and talked to the greco team when I was at the OTC.  I asked him a ton of questions, one being if he lifted.  He said they made him lift, and he hated it.  He answered all of my questions and the answers were really good.  I wish I could have asked him more questions for hours but he was already kind enough to take time out to do a practice and I didnt want to push it

Wrestling loves to romanticize the idea of the all technique, no strength wrestler who takes the muscle bound wrestler and beats the crap out of him using an arsenal of maneuvers, strategy and experience. 

Yet this Utopian idea is nothing more than fantasy.   Even if one can be successful without some sort of strength training, the fact remains that they'll be MORE success with it.   It may not look the same for everyone.  In fact, I know it doesn't. 

I've witnessed both Iowa's lifting regiment and Minnesota's.  They're nothing alike, at all.   Yet both Hawkeye wrestlers and Golden Gopher wrestlers are very strong.   

I imagine every collegiate program in the country has some sort of a lifting regiment.  I'd be shocked to learn of one that didn't.  

fwiw, found this article:

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2018/02/penn_state_wrestlers_able_to_s.html

one noteworthy quote:

"We have a great strength program, our guys are strong,'' Sanderson said during some limited down time last fall. "We're working our tails off in the weight room. Lifting is very important to us."

article also does mention training being very individualized

Edited by KTG119

8 hours ago, KTG119 said:

fwiw, found this article:

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2018/02/penn_state_wrestlers_able_to_s.html

one noteworthy quote:

"We have a great strength program, our guys are strong,'' Sanderson said during some limited down time last fall. "We're working our tails off in the weight room. Lifting is very important to us."

article also does mention training being very individualized

Was it also Carl who said: Some of our guys think lifting is fun and some of our guys think lifting is no fun. We like to have fun so some of our guys lift and for some of our guys no lift.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is it possible to not be in a regimented strength training program that includes lifting heavy weight and still win an NCAA D1 National Championship?  Yes, anything is possible but the real question is why would anyone want to risk winning a national championship?