Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Rewatching Nickal vs Dean

33 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Also, Dean was  sick. You could see it in his eyes,

Actually, Gabe has recently revealed he tore a rib muscle a couple of weeks prior, and that greatly affected his training prior to NCAAs.  He did look sick at the time, though.

56 minutes ago, klehner said:

Actually, Gabe has recently revealed he tore a rib muscle a couple of weeks prior, and that greatly affected his training prior to NCAAs.  He did look sick at the time, though.

Everybody's hurt that time of year. Unless they roll you onto the mat in an iron lung, no excuses.

I posted a gif of that exchange right after it happened. It definitely should have been a takedown for Dean, but even with the call I could easily see Nickal coming up with an extra sequence to score in some crazy fashion. Still a bad call though in my opinion

10 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Everybody's hurt that time of year. Unless they roll you onto the mat in an iron lung, no excuses.

Yeah, torn rib cage is just like everyone else's dings.  And Dean never gave that as an excuse in the interview; he gave props to Nickal.

<rolleyes>

One of Gabe's go to moves on his feet was a snatch single.  Got it on nearly everyone.  If you watched him through the national tournament, I don't think he even tried for it once.  Clearly, something was very wrong.  Regardless, that time of year, nearly everyone is banged up.  Ribs though, damn that can be really tough to overcome.  I thought the fact that he even made it to finals was amazing.

11 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Idk how serious the rib injury could’ve been he wrestled in the USA open like 4 weeks later and won a bunch of matches 

Exactly.  And who beat him there?

11 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Idk how serious the rib injury could’ve been he wrestled in the USA open like 4 weeks later and won a bunch of matches 

He was having a bad tournament, just scraping by in every match until the semi, iirc. I definitely think he was injured but it doesn't matter at all. 

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He teched a guy from App State, he teched Kyle crutchmer, lost by 1 to Heflin, beat troutman by 5 , lost to PD3 by 1 then beat Dudley for 7th

Thanks then after PD3 beat Dean, Nickal smashed PD3 like 12-2.  Pretty sure no matter what condition Dean is in, Nickal is just better.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:27 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

After re-watching this I am pretty convinced that Dean had a takedown and possible 2 backpoints at 10:10.  

Which is as solid evidence as any that the right call was made. 

4 hours ago, RED said:

Nickal was definitely not better than Dean.

Well, Bo was a three time champ, Dean was almost a three time champ except he fell short, losing his last match to a sophomore. If only we had actual head to head results so we wouldn’t have to rely on someone’s opinion....

Edited by Lurker

9 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

It's summer all over again, except instead of Zain is not better than Yianni this time it's Bo is not better than Dean. 

Except, scoreboard. 

If Dean was really hurt (i dont think hed have a reason to lie about it) then Dean could have definitely been better despite the loss, hell even if he was healthy and lost, senior dean could have been better then sophomore Nickal, and Im sure a lot of people feel that way. That being said it doesn't matter because senior Nickal is definitely better then senior dean was.

3 hours ago, Molsen said:

If Dean was really hurt (i dont think hed have a reason to lie about it) then Dean could have definitely been better despite the loss, hell even if he was healthy and lost, senior dean could have been better then sophomore Nickal, and Im sure a lot of people feel that way. That being said it doesn't matter because senior Nickal is definitely better then senior dean was.

Soph. Nickal proved on the mat that he was better than Dean too, despite the fancy nickname Cornell fans gave to Dean.