Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Way too early 2020 NCAA champ picks

Yah haha, I was about to qualify my prediction with Seth Gross. I thought someone here said he’s going 141 this season though?

I think Marinelli would win the Hodge over Lee because many are predicting that Spencer will wrestle selectively this season, plus he’s had some lapses during the season before, whether it was from injury or illness or whatever. 

Marinelli pretty much bulldozes everyone all season long but needs to pull together a solid tournament run. If he can win a title and beat Cenzo, a former national champ, along the way I think that will help his case for the Hodge all the more.

Edited by pamela

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Yah haha, I was about to qualify my prediction with Seth Gross. I thought someone here said he’s going 141 this season though?

I think Marinelli would win the Hodge over Lee because many are predicting that Spencer will wrestle selectively this season, plus he’s had some lapses during the season before, whether it was from injury or illness or whatever. 

Marinelli pretty much bulldozes everyone all season long but needs to pull together a solid tournament run. If he can win a title and beat Cenzo, a former national champ, along the way I think that will help his case for the Hodge all the more.

Marinelli is certainly a bulldozer, but does he put up enough bonus points to win the Hodge? Checking wrestlestats, he was just over 50% last season, and the was by far his highest.

I would think Zahid Valencia would be a top candidate as well, if he is able to go undefeated up at 184 (though I guess if he stayed at 174 and beat Hall again, that might have been an even stronger case). He's up around 75% bonus for his career, as is Spencer Lee. Seth Gross was over 80% for 2017 and 2018, though his competition at SDSU wouldn't have been quite as tough as the other guy's (on average). We'll see if he can keep that up at Wisconsin.

Edited by Crotalus

There are definitely fewer "sure fire" picks this time of year to win it all than the last several years.  Even with Spencer Lee and Zahid, who I think many would say are the biggest favorites in their respective weights, there are decent reasons to have doubts.  Questions about how Zahid will adjust to the new weight (in my mind, not much concern) and there was really only one weekend last year when Lee looked untouchable (of course it was the one that mattered).

2 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

Questions about how Zahid will adjust to the new weight (in my mind, not much concern)

Yeah, I see Zahid like Nickal. The weight class doesn't really matter. He could go up to 197 if he wanted and I think he would be the favorite. I think Hall is a tougher matchup for him than anyone at 184.

18 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

Questions about how Zahid will adjust to the new weight (in my mind, not much concern)

I don't think a single non-troll wrestling fan has questions about Zahid adjusting to 184. 

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I don't know anything except that Lewis will beat Joseph in the finals again this year, and then a freshman is going to knock off Lewis next year

As much I would love see to Mekhi wrestle this winter he is taking an Olympic redshirt. 

125- Lee over Rivera

133- Gross over RBY

141- Lee over Demas

149- Sasso over Kolodzik

157- Hilday over Carr

165- Marinelli over Joseph

174- Hall over Smith

184- Valencia over Shakur

197- Moore over Brucki

285- Cassar over Gable

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I don't know anything except that Lewis will beat Joseph in the finals again this year, and then a freshman is going to knock off Lewis next year

If this situation is a possibility, I could see Kharchla being next in line to dethrone Lewis, followed by another freshman phenom two years later; and so on...