Jimmy Cinnabon

Strongest wrestler at each weight

Excluding anyone not competing this year.  Do I have this right?

I think Spencer Lee has the greatest strength advantage over his weigh class.  Then probably Gross at 133.

125: Lee

133: Gross

141: ?

149: ?

157: Hidlay

165: Marinelli (only guy who can horse Joseph)

174: Kutler

184: Zahid

197: Brucki

HWT: Steveson

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

59 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Excluding anyone not competing this year.  Do I have this right?

I think Spencer Lee has the greatest strength advantage over his weigh class.  Then probably Gross at 133.

125: Lee

133: Gross

141: ?

149: ?

165: Marinelli (only guy who can horse Joseph)

174: Kutler

184: Zahid

HWT: Steveson

I'll bet that Tucker (Cornell) is stronger than Gross at 133.

What do you think a very strong wrestler is for each weight?  Something like this:

Bench/Squat

125: 250/300

133: 275/325

141: 300/375

149: 325/400

157: 350/425

165: 360/435

174: 365/450

184: 380/450

197: 400/500

HWT: 425/550

I feel like those numbers would be quite a bit short of the strongest, but well above the mean.

Edited by Plasmodium
Addon

29 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

What do you think a very strong wrestler is for each weight?  Something like this:

Bench/Squat

I feel like those numbers would be quite a bit short of the strongest, but well above the mean.

According to your chart I should weigh 125 pounds

I can’t tell if you’re trolling but I think your list is way off if you’re just talking strength.  I’d guess it might me more something like this, at least going off looks (which could be deceiving)

125: Picc

133: Tucker

141: Pletcher

149: Lugo

165: White

174: Labriola

184: Colbray

285: Cassar

Edited by 1032004

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I can’t tell if you’re trolling but I think your list is way off if you’re just talking strength.  I’d guess it might me more something like this, at least going off looks (which could be deceiving)

125: Picc

133: Tucker

141: Pletcher

149: Lugo

165: White

174: Labriola

184: Colbray

285: Cassar

Well you agreed with at least 30% of my picks so not sure I'm "way off".  You think Cassar is stronger than Steveson?  Lee manhandles everyone he wrestles.  And Pletcher being a 133 pounder moving up is not going to be the strongest 141 pounder.  Marinelli's nickname is The Bull for a reason...

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Well you agreed with at least 30% of my picks so not sure I'm "way off".  You think Cassar is stronger than Steveson?  Lee manhandles everyone he wrestles.  And Pletcher being a 133 pounder moving up is not going to be the strongest 141 pounder.  Marinelli's nickname is The Bull for a reason...

I agreed with 2 of your picks.  Yes I think Cassar being stronger than Steveson was part of the reason he won. 

As someone who works out a lot and can bench above that top level - I can say with almost 100% certainty that your chart is wrong.  The ability to bench more than twice your body weight is a considerable feat.  Most/if any 125 lbs won't be touching 250.  No way desanto and other 133's are coming close to 275 either.  To be considered strong, I would say a closer approach would be 1.8x body weight.  There won't be many that can accomplish that.  The estimated percentage of people able to bench 2x or more is like 1%.  To even do 1.5x is estimated at 10%.  

45 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

As someone who works out a lot and can bench above that top level - I can say with almost 100% certainty that your chart is wrong.  The ability to bench more than twice your body weight is a considerable feat.  Most/if any 125 lbs won't be touching 250.  No way desanto and other 133's are coming close to 275 either.  To be considered strong, I would say a closer approach would be 1.8x body weight.  There won't be many that can accomplish that.  The estimated percentage of people able to bench 2x or more is like 1%.  To even do 1.5x is estimated at 10%.  

People or D1 wrestlers?  I started that chart in the middle using numbers from someone I know.  I'd be interested in estimates from a person who knows more than me.

54 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

My teammate who was 134/142 in college benched 350+.  There were plenty of guys I saw him wrestle that looked stronger than him. 

At my best, I could bench 2x my weight.  I was middle of the road or lower strength wise 

I think you underestimate the strength of college wrestlers.  The bench numbers suggested do not look too far off imo.

Edited by Broomstick

Those strength numbers at least bench press are way, way off. Those numbers would be way too high for a division one college football team. I went back up and looked at them and let me digress for a second. They're way too high for the average Division 1 wrestler aqqt that weight. There might be one or two but even that I would be surprised to see any 184lbers bench 380. Also, if they could bench 380 and only squat 450 they need to get in the  weight room and hit the squat rack a little more and stay off the bench press . Lastly, bench press is the most overrated exercise. I daresay some strength coaches don't even have their wrestlers benching.

3 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Those strength numbers at least bench press are way, way off. Those numbers would be way too high for a division one college football team. I went back up and looked at them and let me digress for a second. They're way too high for the average Division 1 wrestler aqqt that weight. There might be one or two but even that I would be surprised to see any 184lbers bench 380. Also, if they could bench 380 and only squat 450 they need to get in the  weight room and hit the squat rack a little more and stay off the bench press . Lastly, bench press is the most overrated exercise. I daresay some strength coaches don't even have their wrestlers benching.

I agree with much of what you post, but disagree with bench press being overrated.  As far as your "upper body push" exercises go, it is the top choice.  I'm not saying that you need to bench press a house, but properly done and coupled with a good "pull" exercise, it will do more to increase strength , size, and injury prevention than any other "push" exercise.

Squats and Deadlifts are king, but you need a well-rounded strength program and bench press is your best choice for the "push" muscles.

Edited by AHamilton

The above estimates are way too high. College wrestlers are exceedingly strong, but not in the bench-press sort of way. They'll do pull-ups, push-ups, box jumps, plyo exercises and even cleans till the cows come home, but a 300+ bench press is a waste.

I personally spotted our 177 pounder on our team in college when he benched 440 lbs. Olympic bar free weights.  He also put up 425 on several other occasions. Looked like a Greek God. 

He was a great HS wrestler but not even close to being competitive on the national level in college. He did do exceptionally well with the ladies. 

9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Bench/Squat

this might be the stupidest post ever....

12 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Cassar is definitely stronger then Steveson. You either have to be trolling or are just plain naive to think otherwise. 

I agree with you in general. But the vast majority of guys walk around 10-20 lbs heavier than the weight class. I wrestled 130 in HS and walked around at 145 and maxed at 255. I watched our 135 hit 305. So some of those bench numbers are reachable, but not by many. I'm not sure how reasonable the middle and upper weights are. Squat numbers I think are way too low.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk