Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Strongest wrestler at each weight

Recommended Posts

Excluding anyone not competing this year.  Do I have this right?

 

I think Spencer Lee has the greatest strength advantage over his weigh class.  Then probably Gross at 133.

 

125: Lee

133: Gross

141: ?

149: ?

157: Hidlay

165: Marinelli (only guy who can horse Joseph)

174: Kutler

184: Zahid

197: Brucki

HWT: Steveson

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Excluding anyone not competing this year.  Do I have this right?

 

I think Spencer Lee has the greatest strength advantage over his weigh class.  Then probably Gross at 133.

 

125: Lee

133: Gross

141: ?

149: ?

157: Hidlay

165: Marinelli (only guy who can horse Joseph)

174: Kutler

184: Zahid

197: Brucki

HWT: Steveson

I'll bet that Tucker (Cornell) is stronger than Gross at 133.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think a very strong wrestler is for each weight?  Something like this:

Bench/Squat

125: 250/300

133: 275/325

141: 300/375

149: 325/400

157: 350/425

165: 360/435

174: 365/450

184: 380/450

197: 400/500

HWT: 425/550

 

I feel like those numbers would be quite a bit short of the strongest, but well above the mean.

Edited by Plasmodium
Addon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

What do you think a very strong wrestler is for each weight?  Something like this:

Bench/Squat

125: 250/300

133: 275/325

141: 300/375

149: 325/400

157: 350/425

165: 360/435

174: 365/450

184: 380/450

197: 400/500

HWT: 425/550

 

I feel like those numbers would be quite a bit short of the strongest, but well above the mean.

According to your chart I should weigh 125 pounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t tell if you’re trolling but I think your list is way off if you’re just talking strength.  I’d guess it might me more something like this, at least going off looks (which could be deceiving)

125: Picc

133: Tucker

141: Pletcher

149: Lugo

157: Hidlay

165: White

174: Labriola

184: Colbray

197: Brucki

285: Cassar

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I can’t tell if you’re trolling but I think your list is way off if you’re just talking strength.  I’d guess it might me more something like this, at least going off looks (which could be deceiving)

125: Picc

133: Tucker

141: Pletcher

149: Lugo

157: Hidlay

165: White

174: Labriola

184: Colbray

197: Brucki

285: Cassar

Well you agreed with at least 30% of my picks so not sure I'm "way off".  You think Cassar is stronger than Steveson?  Lee manhandles everyone he wrestles.  And Pletcher being a 133 pounder moving up is not going to be the strongest 141 pounder.  Marinelli's nickname is The Bull for a reason...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Well you agreed with at least 30% of my picks so not sure I'm "way off".  You think Cassar is stronger than Steveson?  Lee manhandles everyone he wrestles.  And Pletcher being a 133 pounder moving up is not going to be the strongest 141 pounder.  Marinelli's nickname is The Bull for a reason...

I agreed with 2 of your picks.  Yes I think Cassar being stronger than Steveson was part of the reason he won. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who works out a lot and can bench above that top level - I can say with almost 100% certainty that your chart is wrong.  The ability to bench more than twice your body weight is a considerable feat.  Most/if any 125 lbs won't be touching 250.  No way desanto and other 133's are coming close to 275 either.  To be considered strong, I would say a closer approach would be 1.8x body weight.  There won't be many that can accomplish that.  The estimated percentage of people able to bench 2x or more is like 1%.  To even do 1.5x is estimated at 10%.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

As someone who works out a lot and can bench above that top level - I can say with almost 100% certainty that your chart is wrong.  The ability to bench more than twice your body weight is a considerable feat.  Most/if any 125 lbs won't be touching 250.  No way desanto and other 133's are coming close to 275 either.  To be considered strong, I would say a closer approach would be 1.8x body weight.  There won't be many that can accomplish that.  The estimated percentage of people able to bench 2x or more is like 1%.  To even do 1.5x is estimated at 10%.  

People or D1 wrestlers?  I started that chart in the middle using numbers from someone I know.  I'd be interested in estimates from a person who knows more than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

As someone who works out a lot and can bench above that top level - I can say with almost 100% certainty that your chart is wrong.  The ability to bench more than twice your body weight is a considerable feat.  Most/if any 125 lbs won't be touching 250.  No way desanto and other 133's are coming close to 275 either.  To be considered strong, I would say a closer approach would be 1.8x body weight.  There won't be many that can accomplish that.  The estimated percentage of people able to bench 2x or more is like 1%.  To even do 1.5x is estimated at 10%.  

My teammate who was 134/142 in college benched 350+.  There were plenty of guys I saw him wrestle that looked stronger than him. 

At my best, I could bench 2x my weight.  I was middle of the road or lower strength wise 

I think you underestimate the strength of college wrestlers.  The bench numbers suggested do not look too far off imo.

Edited by Broomstick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those strength numbers at least bench press are way, way off. Those numbers would be way too high for a division one college football team. I went back up and looked at them and let me digress for a second. They're way too high for the average Division 1 wrestler aqqt that weight. There might be one or two but even that I would be surprised to see any 184lbers bench 380. Also, if they could bench 380 and only squat 450 they need to get in the  weight room and hit the squat rack a little more and stay off the bench press . Lastly, bench press is the most overrated exercise. I daresay some strength coaches don't even have their wrestlers benching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Those strength numbers at least bench press are way, way off. Those numbers would be way too high for a division one college football team. I went back up and looked at them and let me digress for a second. They're way too high for the average Division 1 wrestler aqqt that weight. There might be one or two but even that I would be surprised to see any 184lbers bench 380. Also, if they could bench 380 and only squat 450 they need to get in the  weight room and hit the squat rack a little more and stay off the bench press . Lastly, bench press is the most overrated exercise. I daresay some strength coaches don't even have their wrestlers benching.

I agree with much of what you post, but disagree with bench press being overrated.  As far as your "upper body push" exercises go, it is the top choice.  I'm not saying that you need to bench press a house, but properly done and coupled with a good "pull" exercise, it will do more to increase strength , size, and injury prevention than any other "push" exercise.

Squats and Deadlifts are king, but you need a well-rounded strength program and bench press is your best choice for the "push" muscles.

Edited by AHamilton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above estimates are way too high. College wrestlers are exceedingly strong, but not in the bench-press sort of way. They'll do pull-ups, push-ups, box jumps, plyo exercises and even cleans till the cows come home, but a 300+ bench press is a waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally spotted our 177 pounder on our team in college when he benched 440 lbs. Olympic bar free weights.  He also put up 425 on several other occasions. Looked like a Greek God. 

He was a great HS wrestler but not even close to being competitive on the national level in college. He did do exceptionally well with the ladies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

What do you think a very strong wrestler is for each weight?  Something like this:

Bench/Squat

125: 250/300

133: 275/325

141: 300/375

149: 325/400

157: 350/425

165: 360/435

174: 365/450

184: 380/450

197: 400/500

HWT: 425/550

 

I feel like those numbers would be quite a bit short of the strongest, but well above the mean.

this might be the stupidest post ever....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Well you agreed with at least 30% of my picks so not sure I'm "way off".  You think Cassar is stronger than Steveson?  Lee manhandles everyone he wrestles.  And Pletcher being a 133 pounder moving up is not going to be the strongest 141 pounder.  Marinelli's nickname is The Bull for a reason...

Cassar is definitely stronger then Steveson. You either have to be trolling or are just plain naive to think otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As someone who works out a lot and can bench above that top level - I can say with almost 100% certainty that your chart is wrong.  The ability to bench more than twice your body weight is a considerable feat.  Most/if any 125 lbs won't be touching 250.  No way desanto and other 133's are coming close to 275 either.  To be considered strong, I would say a closer approach would be 1.8x body weight.  There won't be many that can accomplish that.  The estimated percentage of people able to bench 2x or more is like 1%.  To even do 1.5x is estimated at 10%.  
I agree with you in general. But the vast majority of guys walk around 10-20 lbs heavier than the weight class. I wrestled 130 in HS and walked around at 145 and maxed at 255. I watched our 135 hit 305. So some of those bench numbers are reachable, but not by many. I'm not sure how reasonable the middle and upper weights are. Squat numbers I think are way too low.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...