Sign in to follow this  
Fishbane

St. Olaf College to Drop wrestling

7 hours ago, Fishbane said:

It isn't exactly the same town.  The town Rose spoke of is in Northern Minnesota, but the real St. Olaf is in Southern MN. https://goldengirls.fandom.com/wiki/St._Olaf

Huh.  I guess I didn’t watch/listen close enough. For some reason I always though she was referring to some small Scandinavian village in Sweden/Norway/Finland.   Thanks for the fun fact.     

Edited by MadMardigain

6 hours ago, Fishbane said:

It isn't exactly the same town.  The town Rose spoke of is in Northern Minnesota, but the real St. Olaf is in Southern MN. https://goldengirls.fandom.com/wiki/St._Olaf

• St. Olaf College (which is dropping wrestling) is in the town of Northfield, MN - about an hour south of Minneapolis in Southern Minnesota
  • St. Olaf is a real very small town without a college (no relationship to dropping wrestling), in Northern Minnesota, near Alexandria (not far from Fargo)
  • Note - The Olaf College population is roughly 10x the population of the small Olaf town.

The "Golden Girls" TV show's ongoing mentions of St. Olaf are due to the fact that one of the show's writers graduated from St. Olaf College. It is a thinly veiled reference to the college, rather than a reference to the small town. Although, one could easily argue that the same small town Minnesota sensibilities are on display at the college as well. IMO, that's what makes it interesting writing. Those wacky Norwegians!