treep2000

U23 Discussion

I love Bo since I saw his matches on video beating Hall back when they were in 7th or at 8th grade but can we slow down here.  We have people on here saying a 200 lb Bo can beat out Snyder.  I will tell you right now if it was me I would be going at what ever weight I thought best for me not my team mate.  If Bo goes at anything other than his best weight he is not t bright.

Is there a site to watch Bo’s matches without forking over the credit card?  Or will there be later possibly? I had no problem paying for the world championships but can’t justify it when there’s only a couple matches I’m really looking for after the fact.

23 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Is there a site to watch Bo’s matches without forking over the credit card?  Or will there be later possibly? I had no problem paying for the world championships but can’t justify it when there’s only a couple matches I’m really looking for after the fact.

the matches are on YT now, here's the final:

10 hours ago, The Genius said:

People saying Bo would beat Yazdani already... Yikes. 

Don't worry, there's more us level headed folks that aren't sold on that claim.  Although, I would pay to see that match.  

12 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

If you get and install TOR Browser you hook up from satellite sites - most often in Europe and the video will play. Not available in the US - but using TOR I was able to watch it - no charge. Works for a number of things not available in the US.

Just copied the address from this post and pasted into the address bar of TOR window and the match came up fine.

Edited by WillieBoy

Great tournament by Bo.  Two questions:  They said Bo was only second U23 champ, who was first?  And why are there 2 Bronze Medal matches?  Does this mean their is a Gold , silver, and 2 Bronze medals awarded?  Apologize ahead of time if this seems like a stupid question.

Bo Nickal - great job!! Guy is damn impressive.  Congrats to him.  Likely has a different feel than some of his opponents have experienced.  Has something special going for him.

hope to see these matches!  Just need to carve off the time.

Edited by nom

9 minutes ago, nom said:

Bo Nickal - great job!! Guy is damn impressive.  Congrats to him.  Likely has a different feel than some of his opponents have experienced.  Has something special going for him.

hope to see these matches!  Just need to carve off the time.

Its interesting to watch his matches if just to see how the opponent always seems to appear fully confident … until Bo gets that first TD. After that they seem to bite on every head fake and level change. Its like they don't think he's a big threat to score, and then suddenly they know he can score and its "Oh ****". 

18 hours ago, NJDan said:

How do you know other countries send their best? I dunno, but I suspect that u23 is second fiddle to juniors (and certainly to seniors) everywhere. 

I think It is definitely fair to say that the U23 squad we sent was further from our best than theirs, but to your point, we should't pretend we're magically #1 in the world if we would have just sent our best guys.  

For Russia, Baev (70kg world champ) and Naifonov (Euro champ, world bronze) are still U23 eligible, just to name a couple. 

16 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

He said in a flo interview that he would go to the weight best for him.  I took that as a veiled way of saying he was going 86 kg as there is no rational way to say that 97 kg is the best weight for him.

Unless he’s decided he’s going to go light heavyweight (205lbs) in MMA and knows he needs to spend the next year getting bigger. Those guys are huge and weigh in the day before. 

In MMA he effectively either has to go 185lbs (middleweight) or 205lbs (light heavyweight). 

If he’s fighting 205lbs with day before weigh-ins he probably wants to bulk up to around 220-225lbs. I could see how getting his body ready to make 189lbs with a same day weigh-in might not be in his plans. 

4 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

If you get and install TOR Browser you hook up from satellite sites - most often in Europe and the video will play. Not available in the US - but using TOR I was able to watch it - no charge. Works for a number of things not available in the US.

Just copied the address from this post and pasted into the address bar of TOR window and the match came up fine.

I use Opera which has a built in free VPN (though I don't need to use it because I'm not American), might be worth a shot.

1 minute ago, sstark46 said:

Kayla Miracle is into the finals with 3 Falls on the day

53 kg: Felicity Taylor (Spillville, Iowa/McKendree Bearcat WC) - repechage vs. Katerina Pichkovskaya (Belarus)

62 kg: Kayla Miracle (Iowa City, Iowa/Sunkist Kids) Impressive. Three falls in all.
WIN Ilona Prokopevniuk (Ukraine), fall 5:24 She was down 7-0.   She wrestles Yuzuka Inagaki (Japan) for GOLD.

65 kg: Maya Nelson (Denver, Colo./Sunkist Kids) - repechage vs. Iryna Koliadenko (Ukraine)

The Japanese women's team have been extremely dominant so far.  To this point they have only lost 3 matches so far (two in the finals). They have 3 Golds, two silvers, and 4 finalists set to go today and 1 young lady going for bronze.  Their women's program is incredible.

Edited by lu1979

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

The Japanese women's team have been extremely dominant so far.  To this point they have only lost 3 matches so far (two in the finals). They have 3 Golds, two silvers, and 4 finalists set to go today and 1 young lady going for bronze.  Their women's program is incredible.

Agreed. As is their SR team.

So a peeve of mine is people referencing our senior 1st team as proof that our training and development is world class.

Realistically we have a handful of guys that can even compete and our second wave is grossly inadequate.

Russia's men, Japan's women, .... damnit... we have the most resources in the world, i wish we could develop a dominant squad 3 or 4 deep with legit competitors at every weight, i know i know.....

Its the same with soccer, well worse with soccer.

Soccer and Greco, ill never understand how we can simply not even wiff at fielding a decent squad..

Rant over.

#FolkstyleIsDumb

#LoveWrestling

Just now, spladle08 said:

Soccer and Greco, ill never understand how we can simply not even wiff at fielding a decent squad..
Rant over.
#FolkstyleIsDumb
#LoveWrestling

The Mens National Team is the most frustrating thing ever!  They should have kept Klinsman in my estimation.  Not qualifying for the World Cup set us back years.  

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

So a peeve of mine is people referencing our senior 1st team as proof that our training and development is world class.

Realistically we have a handful of guys that can even compete and our second wave is grossly inadequate.

Russia's men, Japan's women, .... damnit... we have the most resources in the world, i wish we could develop a dominant squad 3 or 4 deep with legit competitors at every weight, i know i know.....

Rant over.

#FolkstyleIsDumb

#LoveWrestling

There are cultural factors that come into play here as well.  

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Rant over.

#FolkstyleIsDumb

#LoveWrestling

Folkstyle is dumb, but you love wrestling? :)

I'm not sure what you expect.  Absolute domination in all sports?  Culture plays a big role.  We do have world class training and that's proven by consistently being one of the top teams.  We have a world class team, even if it is not the best.  Further,  I think the needs of US wrestlers are better met than most countries because wrestlers are encouraged  to do more than wrestle and a path is provided to do so.  

Folkstyle is dumb, but you love wrestling? :)
I'm not sure what you expect.  Absolute domination in all sports?  Culture plays a big role.  We do have world class training and that's proven by consistently being one of the top teams.  We have a world class team, even if it is not the best.  Further,  I think the needs of US wrestlers are better met than most countries because wrestlers are encouraged  to do more than wrestle and a path is provided to do so.  
:) 100% I expect any team the USA commits substantial resources to, to be competitive with the rest of the world.
I'm surprised we can't gather the best training methods and what not and become the best at all sports (given our resources)

And also Yeah im always on the "folkstyle is dumb" wagon..... I've said it once I'll say it a million more times.... its like competiting 3/4 of the year in the backstroke until youre an adult and then trying to be competitive in the breast stroke and butterfly against the world....who've only swam that style their entire lives.

Its just not necessary. I know some of the most elite college wrestlers in the history of our sport have been able to easily make the transition lately, but that doesnt prove the validity of folkstyle wrestling.

I still love wrestling and will watch it in all forms, but yeah Folkstyle is dumb