1 hour ago, spladle08 said:
1 hour ago, treep2000 said:
my gut is telling me that Nickal is our best shot at a finalist, with Kerkvliet a potential medalist.  Otherwise, probably going to be a long tourney for Team USA.

And on Kerkvliet, I want to believe he's the same threat he was in Juniors, but he struggled a bit with Wood and Wood simply isnt "elite", the size, and lack of action over the past year, have me pretty pessimistic, heres hoping the athleticism can carry him to a medal.

Struggled? Did you watch the matches? They weren't as close as the scores might indicate IMO. I mean Kerk  basically flopped to his belly to give up 2 and avoid a possible 4 to secure the win in the last match.

Edited by DocBZ

7 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Struggled? Did you watch the matches? They weren't as close as the scores might indicate IMO. I mean Kerk  basically flopped to his belly to give up 2 and avoid a possible 4 to secure the win in the last match.

Total agreement. 

41 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

I don't think he was in danger of losing at all. He is lightyears better, I just expected more dominance. I am as high on him as anyone else, but his inability to completely manhandle Wood, gives me hesitation to predict great success against the WORLD at heavyweight... what were the scores like 6-4 6-5 or something? How do you carry that over to high expectations for this tournament?

Anyway: The draws are out, and we have no cake-walks... Here is hoping for greatness, but...  it doesn't look favorable, unless you're just blantantly delusional 

4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

no he was already down 13-13. no points for that late action.

it was 9-8 for Eierman, after that action. I assume they call it 4-2. it was 13-11. then takedown for KGZ 13-13. but you can doubt that TD because it was when the mat chairman was yelling "stop , stop"

Thanks wrestfan.  I was wondering what the heck was going on. I was watching on Track and they had the score with Eierman ahead 13-11 when they put him down. That makes more sense with him trying to escape at 13-13 and down on criteria. I thought it should have been 4-1 on the previous sequence with Eierman getting 4 for feet to back and opponent getting 1 for reversal. Oh well, hopefully he can get pulled back in. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

How good are those guys credentials wise?

It's on main page but:

BUDAPEST, Hungary – The final five USA men’s freestyle athletes received their draws for Tuesday’s action of the U23 World Championships in Budapest, Hungary.

Representing the USA tomorrow is Chas Tucker at 61 kg, Brady Berge at 74 kg, Max Dean at 86 kg, Bo Nickal at 92 kg and Daniel Greg Kerkvliet at 125 kg.

Kerkvliet, a 2017 Cadet World champion and 2018 Cadet World silver medalist, will wrestle in his first international tournament since 2018. To open his competition at 125 kg, Kerkvliet will face Israel’s Lior Altshuler, who won a silver medal in Greco and a bronze medal in freestyle at the 2017 Maccabi Games.

2018 Junior World bronze medalist Brady Berge will begin his third World tournament of his career. At 74 kg, Berge drew Razambek Zhamalov of Russia. Zhamalov is a 2018 Junior World silver medalist and a 2019 U23 European champion.

Berge and Zhamalov met in the first round of the 2018 Junior World Championships in Trnava, Slovakia. The Russian walked away with a 13-3 tech fall win.

2019 Senior National Team member Bo Nickal will compete in his first international event since the 2013 Cadet World Championships. Nickal will begin his competition at 92 kg against returning U23 World bronze medalist Hossein Shahbazigazvar of Iran.

Shahbazigazvar is also a 2016 Junior World champion and a 2012 Cadet World bronze medalist.

A pair of Cornell athletes, Tucker and Dean, will make their World Championship debuts on Tuesday.

At 61 kg, Tucker drew 2018 Yasar Dogu champion Mohammadbagher Yakhkeshi of Iran, who registered a fifth-place finish at the 2018 Senior World Championships.

Wrsetling at 86 kg, Dean will face 2018 Junior World champion Hayato Ishiguro of Japan in his first match tomorrow.

Tuesday’s action will begin at 10:30 a.m. local time (4:30 a.m. ET) live on Trackwrestling. Follow @USAWrestling on Twitter for live updates.

6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

How good are those guys credentials wise?

Yakheshi is a bit divisive, he was at worlds 2018 where he got pinned by Bonne and then got teched by Joe Colon in the bronze match. But he won gold at Sassari City 2019 games more recently. You never know what you will get from him but he's seen as pretty unreliable. 

Shahbazi won junior worlds gold about 3-4 years ago but nothing special in the senior ranks that I know of. EDIT: thanks to above, forgot he got Bronze here last year too. But he's way down the roster at 97kg for Iran, with R. Yazdani, Shabani, Mohammadian all above him 

Edited by The Genius

34 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

It's on main page but:

BUDAPEST, Hungary – The final five USA men’s freestyle athletes received their draws for Tuesday’s action of the U23 World Championships in Budapest, Hungary.

Representing the USA tomorrow is Chas Tucker at 61 kg, Brady Berge at 74 kg, Max Dean at 86 kg, Bo Nickal at 92 kg and Daniel Greg Kerkvliet at 125 kg.

Kerkvliet, a 2017 Cadet World champion and 2018 Cadet World silver medalist, will wrestle in his first international tournament since 2018. To open his competition at 125 kg, Kerkvliet will face Israel’s Lior Altshuler, who won a silver medal in Greco and a bronze medal in freestyle at the 2017 Maccabi Games.

2018 Junior World bronze medalist Brady Berge will begin his third World tournament of his career. At 74 kg, Berge drew Razambek Zhamalov of Russia. Zhamalov is a 2018 Junior World silver medalist and a 2019 U23 European champion.

Berge and Zhamalov met in the first round of the 2018 Junior World Championships in Trnava, Slovakia. The Russian walked away with a 13-3 tech fall win.

2019 Senior National Team member Bo Nickal will compete in his first international event since the 2013 Cadet World Championships. Nickal will begin his competition at 92 kg against returning U23 World bronze medalist Hossein Shahbazigazvar of Iran.

Shahbazigazvar is also a 2016 Junior World champion and a 2012 Cadet World bronze medalist.

A pair of Cornell athletes, Tucker and Dean, will make their World Championship debuts on Tuesday.

At 61 kg, Tucker drew 2018 Yasar Dogu champion Mohammadbagher Yakhkeshi of Iran, who registered a fifth-place finish at the 2018 Senior World Championships.

Wrsetling at 86 kg, Dean will face 2018 Junior World champion Hayato Ishiguro of Japan in his first match tomorrow.

Tuesday’s action will begin at 10:30 a.m. local time (4:30 a.m. ET) live on Trackwrestling. Follow @USAWrestling on Twitter for live updates.

Wow. Kerkvliet is the only guy that looks like an odds on favorite. I think Nickal should have a great chance to win.

Berge got the one guy I did not want him to get. Zhamalov, in addition to beating Berge last year at Juniors also beat David Baev at Yarygin this year. What are the odds Berge gets him? Tucker and Dean also got tough outs and are probably under dogs. 

I remember a few years ago thinking Baev is a future World Champ, and he won it this year. I think Zhamalov is a future World Champ. Here is their Bronze match from Yarygin. Awesome.

Edited by TBar1977

6 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I'm surprised by how tough the field is at U23, which has historically been a tournament overlooked in importance by many strong wrestling nations. Not anymore, it seems.

Check out 2018's 
There were some shallow weights but all the champs were solid with a few weights having senior level talent in both Bronze matches. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_U23_Wrestling_Championship

37 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I'm surprised by how tough the field is at U23, which has historically been a tournament overlooked in importance by many strong wrestling nations. Not anymore, it seems.

You and me both. Kerkvliet is the only one who's probably a favorite. Berge, Dean & Tucker are huge underdogs and even Nickal would not be favored. Cmon boys you have your work cut out.

I went out of my way to temper expectations for our squad... but still, not a good day of wrestling.  Tomorrow hopefully has a few bright spots, but odds are against us with these draws.  

The switch from University games to U23's has been a good one though.  This is a tough tournament. 

4 hours ago, DocBZ said:

I still want a response to my response to this condescending remark.  Did I watch Kerk barely beat a non elite wrestler in a match to represent the USA on the WORLD stage?  Yes. 
again I ask: Why does this result give you confidence he is capable of winning the WORLD TITLE. (Note I hope he does) 

I still want a response to my response to this condescending remark.  Did I watch Kerk barely beat a non elite wrestler in a match to represent the USA on the WORLD stage?  Yes. 
again I ask: Why does this result give you confidence he is capable of winning the WORLD TITLE. (Note I hope he does) 
Wood had a Cadet world silver medal. That's age group elite.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, spladle08 said:

When did I ever say Kerk would win a World title? I simply responded to you saying he struggled against Wood, which he didn't.

I just tuned in and the only USA match I can find is Berge 1-5 vs. Zhamalov. The Russian is too strong and I think should win the bracket. Berge at least limited the TD's given up to 1 this year, so that is improvement from last year. Berge also didn't gas late which is improvement on gas tank as well. Hopefully he can get pulled back in and win some matches, but the Russian took injury time so small chance he could drop out or even lose due to injury and that would end any chance for Berge. 

Edited by TBar1977

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I just tuned in and the only USA match I can find is Berge 1-5 vs. Zhamalov. The Russian is too strong and I think should win the bracket. Berge at least limited the TD's given up to 1 this year, so that is improvement from last year. Berge also didn't gas late which is improvement on gas tank as well. Hopefully he can get pulled back in and win some matches, but the Russian took injury time so small chance he could drop out or even lose due to injury and that would end any chance for Berge. 

That is the only USA match that has happened. 

Berge did look better that the last time we saw him. The russian is amazing and I think would’ve won a world medal this year. Berge is solid, but not senior level solid. 

I hope he gets pulled back in. Only way he doesn’t is due to injury to russia, as you said. 

I’m still not sure if Berge is a 2-2 at NCAAs type guy, or a title contender

33 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

That is the only USA match that has happened. 

Berge did look better that the last time we saw him. The russian is amazing and I think would’ve won a world medal this year. Berge is solid, but not senior level solid. 

I hope he gets pulled back in. Only way he doesn’t is due to injury to russia, as you said. 

I’m still not sure if Berge is a 2-2 at NCAAs type guy, or a title contender

Hopefully he gets pulled back in and we can see what he looks like against a guy who isn't at the World Contender level like Zhamalov. Just as I write that, Zhamalov looks like a different wrestler vs India. I think he can't fully push off his right leg. He won, but didn't look 100%.

Dean lost 12-2 on Mat b. Lost to JPN. 

Edited by TBar1977

22 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Hopefully he gets pulled back in and we can see what he looks like against a guy who isn't at the World Contender level like Zhamalov. Just as I write that, Zhamalov looks like a different wrestler vs India. I think he can't fully push off his right leg. He won, but didn't look 100%.

Dean lost 12-2 on Mat b. Lost to JPN. 

I think that’s the guy Aaron Brooks lost to at juniors in 2018, right?