treep2000

U23 Discussion

4 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Finals matchup at 92 KG.  Anyone have information on the Russian?

Bo Dean NICKAL (USA) vs. Batyrbek TCAKULOV (RUS) 

I think Tcakulov (the Russian that wrestles Nickal in the finals) was 7th at last year's World Championship.

He was listed at 4th in the current UWW ranking, but Russia wrestled someone else at World's this year.  

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/russia-closes-out-u23-european-cships-freestyle-team-title

6 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Goloev just big brothered Kerk with ease.  Man vs. boy in that one.  

This is the kind of performance that reminds you it’s a different world over there. My American hubris had me convinced Kirk would wrestle anyone somewhat close because he’s that good of an athlete. 

I got a snippet of Bo's low leg attack on Twitter.  Is that something new?  I've also heard the low leg/ankle pick takedown mentioned throughout this tourney.  I've never seen him do that before.  It's been fun watching him evolve since he was a PSU freshman.  Back then, it was mentioned that he really didn't have a go to take down to come from behind.  Now he's got a few pretty good go-to shots it seems, on top of his upper body game and scramble ability.  Shame he intends to leave the sport so soon.

3 minutes ago, misterc said:

I got a snippet of Bo's low leg attack on Twitter.  Is that something new?  I've also heard the low leg/ankle pick takedown mentioned throughout this tourney.  I've never seen him do that before.  It's been fun watching him evolve since he was a PSU freshman.  Back then, it was mentioned that he really didn't have a go to take down to come from behind.  Now he's got a few pretty good go-to shots it seems, on top of his upper body game and scramble ability.  Shame he intends to leave the sport so soon.

Bo has had a lot of ankle picks in a PSU singlet. That has been a part of his game for a long time now. Maybe they got lost in the myriad number of other attacks he has, but they have been there. 

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This is the kind of performance that reminds you it’s a different world over there. My American hubris had me convinced Kirk would wrestle anyone somewhat close because he’s that good of an athlete. 

It's a good reminder. 

Probably worth noting that Kerkvliet is sill junior eligible while Goloev has been wrestling on the senior level since 2015, but that's part of the difference. 

26 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Thats exactly why I posted earlier that the age difference was  huge. At least 5 years of wrestling grown men as opposed to high school kids. When Kerkvliet is 23 I expect him to be twice the wrestler this guy is. That makes my record as a prognosticator 1 - 73.

Edited by ConnorsDad
Addition

38 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Thats exactly why I posted earlier that the age difference was  huge. At least 5 years of wrestling grown men as opposed to high school kids. When Kerkvliet is 23 I expect him to be twice the wrestler this guy is. That makes my record as a prognosticator 1 - 73.

Yeah, super young, inactive for awhile, not the biggest Heavy, newer to Heavy.... just a lot of factors as to why he was unlikely to be a finalist here. 
I love the kid and think his ceiling is WAY UP THERE... but he has a chance at bronze and that is what I had hoped for him.  :) 

Bo on the other hand, has been a man on a mission, I thought he would drop this last match and he skated by with ease,  the finals tomorrow could be a different story, but I hope he brings home our lone gold medal.  For him I predicted Finalist or DNP, so basically as long as he competed I was right :)  
(Some guy just hit me with that  as proof of his prowess.  He said Nickal and Kerk were locks for finals... I said Nickal has a chance but I have my doubts on Kerk... he hits me up 30 min ago.... I got 1 out of 2 finalist, thats not bad at all..... I was like you just hitched your wagon to our 2 best guys and hoped.... stop it..)  Ok, I'm done hating . 

GO BO FOR GOLD!

Edited by spladle08

Well I was hoping for a better run by our guys, hopefully Bo can win the title tomorrow and we can get Bronze medals from Brady and Greg. 
As far as Bo goes, I sure hope that he sticks around and wrestles Freestyle, I know that he has a tough road to make a Senior team, but I think J’den and DT won’t be around forever, and I think once he did make the team, he would do very well. 

1 hour ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Bo takes gold tomorrow.

Really wish we could have seen him at 86 this year. So much better than Downey. Hopefully he smartens up, drops next year, and we get to see him vs some other studs (Valencia, Ringer and possibly Taylor). 

Just to put my response in perspective. I'm of the mindset that Cox 100% drops weight classes and is our 86kg rep. Which would result in Snyder vs Bo for the spot at 97kg. In your above post, are you assuming Cox goes up and Bo only has Ringer, Valencia, and Taylor to deal with if he goes down.? 

I think his best shot is to go 97kg, grow into a monster, and have to beat the (respectfully) limited, Kyven Gadson..... and then face Snyder....
The idea of cutting hard, then facing a bracket with DT, COx, Ringer, Valencia, Downey, Heflin, blah blah blah.... seems like an unnecessary hurdle when the finals match (if you make it) is relatively comparable...

Edited by spladle08

11 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

And yes I acknowdledge  I don't know his current body weight, but making 86kg seems like a cut so I added the adjective "hard" to solidify my point

Didn't Bo weigh in at Final X at 89kg or something?

28 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Just to put my response in perspective. I'm of the mindset that Cox 100% drops weight classes and is our 86kg rep. Which would result in Snyder vs Bo for the spot at 97kg. In your above post, are you assuming Cox goes up and Bo only has Ringer, Valencia, and Taylor to deal with if he goes down.? 

I think his best shot is to go 97kg, grow into a monster, and have to beat the (respectfully) limited, Kyven Gadson..... and then face Snyder....
The idea of cutting hard, then facing a bracket with DT, COx, Ringer, Valencia, Downey, Heflin, blah blah blah.... seems like an unnecessary hurdle when the finals match (if you make it) is relatively comparable...

Yeah my post was under the hopeful assumption Cox goes up (I actually don’t think he will). That said, I still think Bo has a better shot at 86. He was undersized at 92; literally weighing in 10lbs under. Unless Bo has some type of magical cocktail to put on serious weight in a very short time, he will be absolutely dwarfed at 97. No chance whatsoever against Snyder. I’m not even confident he beats Gadson.

Anyone know what he weighed in at today?

Edited by AZ_wrestling

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I think he was 10 lbs under when he wrestled Cox. There is no cutting hard.