Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Is this Nick Lee's breakout year?

He's been consistently solid, but not spectacular...finishing 5th 2 years running.

Top guys have had his number.  He has pace, but not really flash or overpowering strength.

However this year has opened up due to Yianni and Eireman taking Olympic red shirts.  Who do we see standing in Lee's way of making the finals at 141?  Dom Demas....Pltecher...Tariq Wilson....Tristan Moran has beaten Lee before.  What about Leeth, Woods and Chad Red?

where do you see Lee finishing?  I think he improves slightly this year and takes 3rd or 4th.

An actual worthwhile topic from Jimmy, nice. 

Lee could go anywhere from 1-6. We’ve seen him beat McKenna, but then we’ve also seen him lose to people he shouldn’t. His problem is positional mistakes, particularly in scrambles. Which is interesting because that’s where PSU makes their money. If he has tightened those up I think he wins it. If not, well it could be anyone’s guess. 

An interesting Lee vs Red finals note would be that they wrestled in Indiana State Finals as well. Red was a year ahead of Lee. Lee lost to Miccic in the final his freshman year, won his sophomore year, then purposely bumped up junior year to try to put a stop to Red’s four year undefeated run. Lee took him down and put him on his back early for a 5-0 lead, but Red was able to come back and win it. 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Lee could go anywhere from 1-6. We’ve seen him beat McKenna, but then we’ve also seen him lose to people he shouldn’t. His problem is positional mistakes, particularly in scrambles. Which is interesting because that’s where PSU makes their money. If he has tightened those up I think he wins it. If not, well it could be anyone’s guess. 

An interesting Lee vs Red finals note would be that they wrestled in Indiana State Finals as well. Red was a year ahead of Lee. Lee lost to Miccic in the final his freshman year, won his sophomore year, then purposely bumped up junior year to try to put a stop to Red’s four year undefeated run. Lee took him down and put him on his back early for a 5-0 lead, but Red was able to come back and win it. 

Yes, Nick Lee is an AWFUL scrambler.  He does best when he finishes clean and avoids 50/50 positions which he loses 75% of the time.  See his match vs Moran last year where he lost 3 or 4 scrambles initiated from his TD attempt.

Demas is a matchup nightmare for Lee.  I think Lee takes out a guy like Pletcher.

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yes, Nick Lee is an AWFUL scrambler.  He does best when he finishes clean and avoids 50/50 positions which he loses 75% of the time.  See his match vs Moran last year where he lost 3 or 4 scrambles initiated from his TD attempt.

Demas is a matchup nightmare for Lee.  I think Lee takes out a guy like Pletcher.

One, Nick Lee hammered Tristan at Big10's by major. He is a full step up from Moran. 

I disagree that Demas is some sort of match up night mare as well. Yes Demas got a few of his patented inside trips on Lee at NCAA's, but Lee came back to 10-9 and, after releasing Demas, he was one TD away from tieing that match up. Lee took a sloppy shot with less than 20 seconds remaining to not come all the way back, but all he has to do is stay out of that inside trip and the upper hook and 2 on 1 and he can wear Demas out and win on gas tank in the 3rd period.  Wrestle from space and stay disciplined. 

Demas will be planned for this year now that he is the top guy. 

Edited by TBar1977

2 hours ago, Sstern said:

Demas is a matchup problem for Lee and Lee isn’t beating Pletcher.

Lee beat McKenna last year who is on a different level then pletcher,  I haven’t seen anything that shows pletcher would beat nick lee, I don’t think he has the offense to beat someone like lee 

21 hours ago, Lurker said:

Lee did not bump up to wrestle Red.  Lee won state at 132 as a soph and red won 126 as a junior.  They met in the finals at 132 and it was a great match.  Lee only had 2-3 matches prior to the post season due to a back injury.  

11 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

Lee did not bump up to wrestle Red.  Lee won state at 132 as a soph and red won 126 as a junior.  They met in the finals at 132 and it was a great match.  Lee only had 2-3 matches prior to the post season due to a back injury.  

Thank you for correcting me in that then. I had been told he bumped up. 

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Thank you for correcting me in that then. I had been told he bumped up. 

I believe the speculation at the time was:  Would Lee even return for the post season?  And if so would he be back at that weight or need to go up a weight due to his prior time off?   

Edited by MadMardigain

17 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Lee beat McKenna last year who is on a different level then pletcher,  I haven’t seen anything that shows pletcher would beat nick lee, I don’t think he has the offense to beat someone like lee 

I don't know about that.  From what I've heard, Pletcher won his fair share of goes with McKenna in the room last year.  

Pletcher is most comfortable on the counter, and Lee is a guy that's going to fire off shots in volume.  I think it's an interesting matchup.  

I'd say Lee is the favorite, but I want to see it.  

3 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

I believe the speculation at the time was:  Would Lee even return for the post season?  And if so would he be back at that weight or need to go up a weight due to his prior time off?   

I'm pretty sure he wrestled a tournament or something up at 138 during the year if I remember correctly, with the rumor being he was going to drop. But i could definitely be misremembering.

On 10/23/2019 at 1:54 PM, TBar1977 said:

Question for @TBar1977, between Nick Lee and RBY who do you think will finish higher at NCAAs? Just wondering what your thoughts are as I’m not sure what to expect from either one this season, and the chatter about their upsides are kind of all over the place. I guess I’m hoping some of Nolf will have rubbed off on Lee in the practice room, and that RBY is healthy and will give that flippy single leg defense move a rest. I’m most excited to see how much RBY has improved but there hasn’t been much talk about him in the offseason.

23 minutes ago, pamela said:

Question for @TBar1977, between Nick Lee and RBY who do you think will finish higher at NCAAs? Just wondering what your thoughts are as I’m not sure what to expect from either one this season, and the chatter about their upsides are kind of all over the place. I guess I’m hoping some of Nolf will have rubbed off on Lee in the practice room, and that RBY is healthy and will give that flippy single leg defense move a rest. I’m most excited to see how much RBY has improved but there hasn’t been much talk about him in the offseason.

I have no idea which will finish higher. I don't make too many really specific predictions like that unless I am on the sturdiest limb possible, like predicting a Nolf or Nickal will finish 1rst.

I do think they both finish very high. Neither are likely to underperform. Whether they finish top 4, top 3, or 1rst is guesswork.

Edited by TBar1977

On 10/23/2019 at 5:33 PM, Sstern said:

Demas is a matchup problem for Lee and Lee isn’t beating Pletcher.

Pletcher is a 4 foot fire hydrant.  He won't be able to handle Lee's length.   Demas barely held on against Lee last year.  Expect some adjustments. 

10 hours ago, pamela said:

Well, RBY and Bo Nickal did just smack Micah Parsons and Jesse Luketa down in a game of spikeball.  That's about the most news from RBY we've had so if we draw a conclusion from that he is better than Micah Parsons.

16 hours ago, pamela said:

I guess I’m hoping some of Nolf will have rubbed off on Lee in the practice room, and that RBY is healthy and will give that flippy single leg defense move a rest. I’m most excited to see how much RBY has improved but there hasn’t been much talk about him in the offseason.

There probably should be some more talk, but he's ranked 3rd in the country so it's not as if anyone is overlooking him. 

Some of the stuff that guy can do is just not normal.  Freakish movement, with fluidity too.  

13 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Pletcher is a 4 foot fire hydrant.  He won't be able to handle Lee's length.   Demas barely held on against Lee last year.  Expect some adjustments. 

Read this too quickly and thought you wrote Pletcher won't be able to handle Lee's strength. I was close to sending drug testers to your place of work.