Sign in to follow this  
Luke The Drifter

Mike Moyer Article- Talks with 5 College about going DI

Speculating purely from ignorance, wouldn't it make sense to be the most successful division 2 programs?

Edit- Cal Baptist is already in the process, maybe St Cloud St, Notre Dame College, Central Oklahoma, Colorado Pueblo, Pitt Johnstown, or Fort Hays St? No idea.

Edited by potentiallydangerous

I think he’s referencing 5 more schools that don’t currently have D1 sports - in addition to the 6 he named - are talking about moving ALL their sports to D1 from D2 or D3. And those 5 schools currently have wrestling. 

I’m not sure that speaks specifically to the health of D1 wrestling, as the wrestling program at those 5 schools probably isn’t the major driver of those schools’ decisions to move their entire athletic programs up to D1.

If he’s referencing 5 D2 or D3 schools that are talking about moving just their wrestling programs up to D1 and keeping their other sports at D2 or D3, then by NCAA rule they won’t be able to offer wrestling scholarships. The only schools that are D3 or D2 in all sports except one and can offer scholarships in that one D1 sport are grandfathered in. Like RPI, St. Lawrence, Clarkson and Union in D1 hockey and John Hopkins in Lacrosse.

Heard Fairfield University in Connecticut is considering starting up wrestling. An alumni’s son is big into wrestling and he fell in love with the sport. Guy has enough money to endow coaches salaries and scholarships. He is in negotiations with school about building a facility. Of course, my source may not be reliable but it would be awesome if this were true. 

1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

Heard Fairfield University in Connecticut is considering starting up wrestling. An alumni’s son is big into wrestling and he fell in love with the sport. Guy has enough money to endow coaches salaries and scholarships. He is in negotiations with school about building a facility. Of course, my source may not be reliable but it would be awesome if this were true. 

Fairfield is a new one for me. I know Mike’s at least three of the five targets he referenced are in the South. 

Are they schools that are D2 and currently have wrestling and could move up to DI or are they DI schools that currently don’t have programs?

Also I have not heard anything on Fairfield but it makes sense they do not have football and are a Private school so adding wrestling would bump their enrollment and being in the NE there are plenty of schools to wrestle. I am not for sure where they would fall along the lines of title IX.

Edited by Luke The Drifter