Jump to content

Recommended Posts

He's kind of right and kind of not. On one hand, Flo did purchase those rights from the NCAA. On the other hand, paying him to add commentary would add value to their service. I believe his beef should be with the NCAA and not Flo. The funniest part was Yianni's little brother jumping in. Nothing like trash talking one of the best senior level wrestlers in the United States when you're still in high school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This an example (not a huge example but still an example) of Flo being complacent. [I think 'lazy' too strong a word!] [EDIT: 'Complacent', too, may well be too strong a word.] Flo touts coverage + access + connections and so for 'block party' collections such as this one it could leverage those connections -- but it doesn't. My opinion: No big deal. But maybe now that Bo Nickal speaks up some folks will notice Flo shortcomings.

Absolutely Nickal's beef should be with NCAA not with Flo. Same goes for freestyle fans who feel discontent that USAW has entered into agreement with Flo.

Kinda feel bad making this post. I think 'block party' a good gimmick. Flo personnel put in effort to curate the content. It's a good thing!

Edited by jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jon said:

This an example (not a huge example but still an example) of Flo being complacent. [I think 'lazy' too strong a word!] [EDIT: 'Complacent', too, may well be too strong a word.] Flo touts coverage + access + connections and so for 'block party' collections such as this one it could leverage those connections -- but it doesn't. My opinion: No big deal. But maybe now that Bo Nickal speaks up some folks will notice Flo shortcomings.

Absolutely Nickal's beef should be with NCAA not with Flo. Same goes for freestyle fans who feel discontent that USAW has entered into agreement with Flo.

Kinda feel bad making this post. I think 'block party' a good gimmick. Flo personnel put in effort to curate the content. It's a good thing!

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, jon said:

This an example (not a huge example but still an example) of Flo being complacent. [I think 'lazy' too strong a word!] [EDIT: 'Complacent', too, may well be too strong a word.] Flo touts coverage + access + connections and so for 'block party' collections such as this one it could leverage those connections -- but it doesn't. My opinion: No big deal. But maybe now that Bo Nickal speaks up some folks will notice Flo shortcomings.

Absolutely Nickal's beef should be with NCAA not with Flo. Same goes for freestyle fans who feel discontent that USAW has entered into agreement with Flo.

Kinda feel bad making this post. I think 'block party' a good gimmick. Flo personnel put in effort to curate the content. It's a good thing!

I hear you but Flo does not want to start this precedent. They own the rights. They do not need to pay Bo to commentate on them. If they did, they will be pressured to figure out ways to comp guys when they use footage they are in. 
 

I don’t disagree with Bo, but he is more likely to make money off of this by calling up Christian or Willie and making his case as to why this will increase the value of the content.  Help them justify why it makes sense to an exec. Trust me, they would love to do more with PSU guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

He's kind of right and kind of not. On one hand, Flo did purchase those rights from the NCAA. On the other hand, paying him to add commentary would add value to their service. I believe his beef should be with the NCAA and not Flo. The funniest part was Yianni's little brother jumping in. Nothing like trash talking one of the best senior level wrestlers in the United States when you're still in high school. 

What did he say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

What did he say?

He tweeted at J Den something to the effect of "Hey J Den, will you please shut your son up". That probably isn't exact, but that is the gist of it. J Den responded by apologizing to Bo Nickal for Greg's words and then told Greg to "Keep my name out of your mouth". Again, probably not an exact quote, but the gist of things. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Someone should post what Yianni's little brother Greg tweeted at J Den Cox about this, then how J Den responded to him. 

J Den knows how to shut someone up. 

 

I saw in the thread there were some deleted tweets after bo said, Yianni tell your brother to chill. Next after the deleted was bo saying something to the effect of I lost to a two time world champ you really got me there. Cox then came in and said I don’t know what’s going on but keep my name out. Would like to see the deleted tweets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deleted tweet, I believe, is the one where Greg told J Den to shut his son up, or something to that effect. J Den, classy as ever, was none to pleased and basically just said that Greg was going to throw shade at Bo to keep his (J Den's) name out of your (Greg's) mouth. That pretty much gave Greg an indication he had over reached. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The deleted tweet, I believe, is the one where Greg told J Den to shut his son up, or something to that effect. J Den, classy as ever, was none to pleased and basically just said that Greg was going to throw shade at Bo to keep his (J Den's) name out of your (Greg's) mouth. That pretty much gave Greg an indication he had over reached. . 

Yeah I saw Cox’ tweet (“it was just keep my name out”, not out of your mouth). What you said about Greg’s tweet would make sense in the chronology of the thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yeah I saw Cox’ tweet (“it was just keep my name out”, not out of your mouth). What you said about Greg’s tweet would make sense in the chronology of the thread. 

The bolded part happened if the below tweets are legit. I copied this from a thread on PSU. It appears to be legit.

  •  

    Dude they make videos for everyone and use kids as headings all the time and you are the only one trying to nickel and dime them, just looking for handouts

    9 replies 0 retweets 52 likes
    Reply
    9
    Retweet
     
    Like
    52
UeWHqWk2_bigger.jpg J'den Cox @MATrix_8692
Follow Follow @MATrix_8692
More

Idk what’s going on, but keep my name out of your mouth if trying to use it put somebody down. Sorry for the disrespectful comment Bo. Btw I agree with you on the flo stuff.

6:29 PM - 22 Oct 2019
Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The bolded part happened if the below tweets are legit. I copied this from a thread on PSU. It appears to be legit.

  •  

    Dude they make videos for everyone and use kids as headings all the time and you are the only one trying to nickel and dime them, just looking for handouts

    9 replies 0 retweets 52 likes
    Reply
    9
    Retweet
     
    Like
    52
UeWHqWk2_bigger.jpg J'den Cox @MATrix_8692
Follow Follow @MATrix_8692
More

Idk what’s going on, but keep my name out of your mouth if trying to use it put somebody down. Sorry for the disrespectful comment Bo. Btw I agree with you on the flo stuff.

6:29 PM - 22 Oct 2019

I saw the actual tweet in the thread before it was deleted as well. It just said keep my name out. Maybe it was an edited version or something...I don’t know. But all that other stuff wasn’t in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im with greg and bo on this one. in this case bo would be an excellent person to narrate his tweets and help younger wrestlers with 'feel'.

 

however, to greg's point. I run a few wrestling things. I get guys all the time thinking they are going to take the money i am raising for my programs.

Hey what if i came and babysat those wrestlers for 20 minutes and you paid me.

no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nickal got 200K worth of tuition in a non revenue sport.  I'd say that's a pretty good deal.  The NCAA doesn't profit off of wrestlers-they profit off of Basketball and Football players to the benefit of people like Bo Nickal.  If the latter ends due to new laws/court decisions, it will be detrimental to non revenue sports.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Nickal got 200K worth of tuition in a non revenue sport.  I'd say that's a pretty good deal.  The NCAA doesn't profit off of wrestlers-they profit off of Basketball and Football players to the benefit of people like Bo Nickal.  If the latter ends due to new laws/court decisions, it will be detrimental to non revenue sports.  

Does PSU profit off of wrestling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Does PSU profit off of wrestling?

Highly unlikely given the program expenses.  Either way it's Big 10 that owns the broadcast rights to the matches he's complaining about, and the big ten as a whole does not profit off of wrestling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Highly unlikely given the program expenses.  Either way it's Big 10 that owns the broadcast rights to the matches he's complaining about, and the big ten as a whole does not profit off of wrestling.  

Depends on your definition. A lot is alumni funded but there's still money spent and money brought in. If you count the alumni money as money spent it's probably a deficit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Depends on your definition. A lot is alumni funded but there's still money spent and money brought in. If you count the alumni money as money spent it's probably a deficit. 

The definition of profit is revenue - expenses.  Charity from alumni does not factor in, since these are gifts to the university.  So if the program spends $X on scholarships, travel, board, salaries, etc, you subtract that out of $Y received from ticket sales, broadcast rights, merch, etc.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The definition of profit is revenue - expenses.  Charity from alumni does not factor in, since these are gifts to the university.  So if the program spends $X on scholarships, travel, board, salaries, etc, you subtract that out of $Y received from ticket sales, broadcast rights, merch, etc.  

That's your opinion. The money spent on much of those things is paid for by the gifts. For example, Ira Lubert pad $x million to pay Cael and build the Lorenzo room. Are you saying that only the expenses here count and therefore PSU is that much in the red since as you say that gift doesn't factor in? Obviously, PSU wouldn't have spent that much without the gift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wrestling team makes money. Even Iowa, with their big attendance, and lower overhead since they've been in the same facilities, was in the red, even during the Metcalf/Borschel run of championships.

 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

That's your opinion. The money spent on much of those things is paid for by the gifts. For example, Ira Lubert pad $x million to pay Cael and build the Lorenzo room. Are you saying that only the expenses here count and therefore PSU is that much in the red since as you say that gift doesn't factor in? Obviously, PSU wouldn't have spent that much without the gift.

It's not my opinion. It's literally how it is defined for revenue and non revenue sports.  Money that PSU pays Cael through the university is an expense.  Money that is paid to him through NLWC does not count as an expense.  In some sports in power 5 conferences, the athletes have good reason to complain that they are not properly compensated (Basketball, Football), since they bring in more money than the university spends.  In others, such as wrestling, they bring in less money than they spend and money from football/basketball is used to subsidize expenses and scholarships.  

If an alumnus gives money to the university, which is used to pay for a coach or scholarship, that does not change the fact that the program is revenue negative.  It just means somebody is willing to make a donation to subsidize it. 

 

So when somebody like Nickal complains that flo is making money off his likeness, he should factor in the 200K+ in scholarships/housing that he received, along with the expense of his world class facilities and coaching.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...