20 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

"According to operating budgets Ohio State shares with the NCAA, football represented nearly $90 million of the athletic department’s $185 million in revenue in 2017, the most recent year with data available. That year, athletics expenses totaled $173 million, leaving the school with an athletics surplus of around $12 million.

Other sports don't bring in any money for the department. In fact, every sport besides football, men's basketball and wrestling actually costs Ohio State money."

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/04/16/take-me-out-to-the-ballgame-heres-how-spring.html

reve. not profti

Edited by GockeS

That passage states in no uncertain terms that wrestling is a profitable sport, and one of only three such sports. “Costs money” means unprofitable in that context. 

I’m surprised to learn that. Kudos to Tom Ryan for running a successful and profitable wrestling program. His may be the only one in the country. 

I love Bo (his personality and his family). have known them a long time and they are very good people.

Bo's suggestion isn't a bad one. It would be a really cool piece or series/concept.

However 2 things - i think he approached it wrong. we have a million archives we can run and paying wrestlers to talk about them before we re-run them, while a cool concept, shouldn't be 'assumed'.  that's just not feasible.

Second Thing - it was pretty odd b/c we reached out to Bo when he graduated and asked if, now that he could make some money, he'd be interested in doing some things. he said he would in the future but he was prepping for FS season. so it was odd to see that method when he had an open invitation and could have gave us a holler.

it's all good though. cp and bader talked to him since and it seems like he's gonna do some stuff with Flo in the future. 

Edited by Husker_Du

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

I’m guessing there was a ratio of joking around along with some dig. Bo’s a pretty loose joking kinda guy.

Well then I do think Bo needs to learn to become a little bit more self aware and how that comes across on twitter. Even if it was in jest, I think 90% of the people who read it didnt take it that way. 

Edited by russelscout

Several angles to this story. I pay attention to these:

1. Bo's choice to use Twitter a good thing. Sparks good discussion. Saylor's made a thoughtful, informative post here -- he's added detail! You folks think we'd see that post if not for Bo's in-public approach?
  2. Yet again Flo person calls for 'do as I say not as I do'. First it's """big-boy sports""" (but no concern for """big-boy media""") and now it's "let's be discreet" (even though Flo often a bull in china shop). Certain personnel at Flo grandiose in public..and yet Bo?..should think twice?..about pitching ideas?..in public?
Edited by jon

Bo needs Flo more than Flo needs Bo. Flo running a front page piece on Bo benefits Bo more than it benefits Flo. Sure, Flo will get a few clicks and may keep some subscribers interested, but Bo has graduated and it’s freestyle season, where he is, so far, pretty irrelevant. Putting his career highlights in front of wrestling fans at this time helps Bo stay relevant and popular. It would’ve been different had Cox made the comment (Cox apparently agreed with Bo’s tweet), but Bo has a long way to go before he’s like Cox and he likely will never get there. He should appreciate what is effectively free brand-building for him. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

7 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

That passage states in no uncertain terms that wrestling is a profitable sport, and one of only three such sports. “Costs money” means unprofitable in that context. 

I’m surprised to learn that. Kudos to Tom Ryan for running a successful and profitable wrestling program. His may be the only one in the country. 

I agree. It’s so surprising that I wonder if that article got the facts wrong, since the numbers weren’t broken down. 

15 hours ago, russelscout said:

Well then I do think Bo needs to learn to become a little bit more self aware and how that comes across on twitter. Even if it was in jest, I think 90% of the people who read it didnt take it that way. 

Well again I’m thinking it only as big a deal as people want to make out if it. And looking at Willies pots about it seems to be the case. I don’t think Bo needs to learn anything is it relates to this. Like I said. No big deal. We can agree to disagree again. 

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Well again I’m thinking it only as big a deal as people want to make out if it. And looking at Willies pots about it seems to be the case. I don’t think Bo needs to learn anything is it relates to this. Like I said. No big deal. We can agree to disagree again. 

Look how greg d. treated it. Look at all the comments below it. Would you agree that on twitter it seemed like a "big deal" to most? Is there a way that could have been avoided? 

13 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It would’ve been different had Cox made the comment (Cox apparently agreed with Bo’s tweet), but Bo has a long way to go before he’s like Cox and 

Perhaps, but Bo Nickal is a lot closer to J Den Cox than little Greggie D. (who inserted himself into this) is to Bo Nickal. 

51 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Look how greg d. treated it. Look at all the comments below it. Would you agree that on twitter it seemed like a "big deal" to most? Is there a way that could have been avoided? 

No, I don’t agree that Greg D and less than 100 comments, many of which last time I saw responded in favor, is an accurate reflection of “most” of the wrestling and/or sports world.

Is there a way to say something on twitter and avoid people making a bigger deal out of it than it is?  Unfortunately no, I think it’s unavoidable. 

Like I said. We can agree to disagree again. 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Is there a way to say something on twitter and avoid people making a bigger deal out of it than it is?  Unfortunately no, I think it’s unavoidable. 

Like I said. We can agree to disagree again. 

Thats why i said he should be more self aware. Everyone knows things blow up on twitter. Appearntly you dont think Bo is a aware of that?

And you always say we can agree to disagree. Its your out when you start being silly.

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Thats why i said he should be more self aware. Everyone knows things blow up on twitter. Appearntly you dont think Bo is a aware of that?

And you always say we can agree to disagree. Its your out when you start being silly.

Yes, must be. 

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Perhaps, but Bo Nickal is a lot closer to J Den Cox than little Greggie D. (who inserted himself into this) is to Bo Nickal. 

Yet, due to people continuing to fish his name out of the twitter comments Greg is now getting the most screen time vs. his recognition level when compared to Bo and JDen.  Maybe Flo should actually be talking to him if they want to improve their reach.  

1 hour ago, TheOhioState said:

If OSU wrestling didn't cost the University any money, then there are two possibilities:

1)  It broke exactly even.

2)  It turned a profit.

It is not as uncommon as one might think for non-profit entities to break exactly even.  If surplus money (potential profit) can be used for discretionary spending it often is or it will go elsewhere.

3 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

If OSU wrestling didn't cost the University any money, then there are two possibilities:

1)  It broke exactly even.

2)  It turned a profit.

i read your post wrong... didn't know what else to say...

the other sports create $95 mil in rev. but its still not a profit.

i was thinking profit... but its rev.

Taking my mind off the Brady Berge situation for some more fun stuff. Flo getting trolled by PSU fan.

gc9SKAKT_normal.png
 · 23m
if Bo Nickal wins today he qualifies for Olympic Trials

Wins what? My only source of wrestling news is @FloWrestling and I didn’t know he was wrestling. Figured if a star that big is competing Flo would let me know.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Taking my mind off the Brady Berge situation for some more fun stuff. Flo getting trolled by PSU fan.

gc9SKAKT_normal.png
 · 23m
if Bo Nickal wins today he qualifies for Olympic Trials

Wins what? My only source of wrestling news is @FloWrestling and I didn’t know he was wrestling. Figured if a star that big is competing Flo would let me know.

That's hilarious.  Has Nomad respomded yet?