Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

What school is the "anti-PSU" program?

35 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

It's easy to have fun when you're winning.

Ever see that picture of Iowa after they won Big10's with a shared title with Ohio State? That was the opposite expression of what fun looks like. I'm sure someone has the pic and can post it. 

13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Ever see that picture of Iowa after they won Big10's with a shared title with Ohio State? That was the opposite expression of what fun looks like. I'm sure someone has the pic and can post it. 

I know the picture you're referring to, however to be fair...Penn State doesn't look too happy in this pic either.  I only see Bo, Hall and Lee smiling.  And I think Bo Pipher along with some staffers.

Group photo of team

Here is the Iowa pic

Image result for iowa wrestling big 10 team champion

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I don't think many teams are happy with a tie - unless they were the clear underdog.

18 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

A little context is always helpful but I understand that this picture has been used multiple times to portray a negative image of the program and their perceived lack of having “fun.” 

Edited by Mpchillin

1 hour ago, Mpchillin said:

A little context is always helpful but I understand that this picture has been used multiple times to portray a negative image of the program and their perceived lack of having “fun.” 

Iowa themselves are to blame for that perception.  They've promoted it for what, 50 years now?

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

My thoughts on wrestlers shoving their religious beliefs down the throats of others at every opportunity are best summed up by Chael P. Sonnen:

"You know, these guys want to talk about god.  "Oh, I want to thank god.  I want to thank god."  Listen, I'm a god-fearing man.  I go to church every Sunday and I have since I was a boy.  But if I ever found out that god cared one way or another about a borderline illegal fistfight on a Saturday night, I would be so greatly disappointed that it would make me rethink my entire belief system."  

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Maybe they weren't ecstatic that they shared the title? They supposed to pretend to be happy for the brand when they didn't reach their goal? Thats just sad. Smiling in a picture is apparently the only relevant measurement to having fun in your mind.

Edited by russelscout

29 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Maybe they weren't ecstatic that they shared the title? They supposed to pretend to be happy for the brand when they didn't reach their goal? Thats just sad. Smiling in a picture is apparently the only relevant measurement to having fun in your mind.

Not true. 

However, if Cael can be Carl, if Mark Hall can be pumpkin head, and if DT can be a unicorn, then by God Almighty Iowa can be the anti fun wrestling program! Ha!

13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Not true. 

However, if Cael can be Carl, if Mark Hall can be pumpkin head, and if DT can be a unicorn, then by God Almighty Iowa can be the anti fun wrestling program! Ha!

So even if the no fun title is baseless, it is all justified because you got your feelings hurt by a few guys from Hawkeye Report? HA! You're soft Tbar. Be better than that. 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

So even if the no fun title is baseless, it is all justified because you got your feelings hurt by a few guys from Hawkeye Report? HA! You're soft Tbar. Be better than that. 

Who said my feelings are hurt? Oh, you said that. Not true at all. But you seem hurt by that photograph and the anti fun narrative. Why? You never seem hurt over the negativity hurled at PSU guys. 

I don't get butthurt. I'd never last if I did. Better to just fire back in kind. That's why I have so much stamina for this stuff. Its all like water off a duck's back to me. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Penn State is all about "having fun" and giving glory to God.  As a team they are very Christian.

I guess the opposite team would be not about having fun and be very secular. 

Cinnabon is way off the mark here. Penn State is all about having fun; there's no doubt about that. When the wrestlers talk about this aspect of wrestling, it's crystal clear that this is a message that comes directly from the coaches, an attitude that they foster and inculcate the wrestlers with. It's part of the PSU wrestling culture. Conversely, when PSU wrestlers are heard "giving glory to God", it's clear that it's a personal matter, an individual decision, attitude and is not driven by messages from the coaches. To back this up, I would recommend that you look for interviews with Cael in which the interviewer goes fishing for answers related to faith and God, how PSU wrestlers sometimes address this in their post-match interviews. Cael, smart guy that he is, completely ignores these questions, as he should. Having fun in the room, in competition, and especially on the big stage, is something that the coaches should and do encourage. Religious beliefs are personal matters that smart coaches avoid. 

55 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Who said my feelings are hurt? Oh, you said that. Not true at all. But you seem hurt by that photograph and the anti fun narrative. Why? You never seem hurt over the negativity hurled at PSU guys. 

I don't get butthurt. I'd never last if I did. Better to just fire back in kind. That's why I have so much stamina for this stuff. Its all like water off a duck's back to me. 

You said photo doesnt prove that Iowa isnt fun, and then you said iowa isnt fun because ppl said bad things about PSU. Why do those things said about PSU=Iowa is not fun? It came across as just being butt hurt

12 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

Penn State is all about having fun; there's no doubt about that. When the wrestlers talk about this aspect of wrestling, it's crystal clear that this is a message that comes directly from the coaches,

Its almost as if its intentional branding....

People that have fun dont need to remind people they are having fun all the time.

Edited by russelscout