Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Bo Nickal to Finger Lakes?

There seems to be an unwritten rule that each RTC can have only one TeamUSA contender at each weight. I know this rule is sometimes  violated. But if that's the case, Bo Nickal seems to be the odd man out at the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. He is behind David Taylor at 86KG and is behind Kyle Snyder at 97KG. Maybe he needs to move. What about Finger Lakes. FLWC can't help him beat Snyder. But if anyone knows how to beat Taylor, it's Kyle Dake. He could also work out with Gabe Dean.

Is he doing MMA after this cycle (I thought I heard chatter about this but I could have imagined it)? May not be worth the move unless he plans to train through 2024.  He could make a really good training partner for both DT and Snyder and maybe compete in the 2020 worlds for the non Olympians. 

6 hours ago, Housebuye said:

He isn't leaving for 2020. He is only planning on wrestling full time for a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if after that he leaves to go train at an MMA gym. Maybe American Kickboxing Academy, but that is a total guess.

Is there a good MMA gym in state college?

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Is there a good MMA gym in state college?

Nothing in the level he needs. He needs to go to a place that has developed elite wrestlers. AKA has developed many, including Cormier. 

Wrestlers transitioning to mma takes trainers who understand wrestler’s strengths and weaknesses. A talent like Bo shouldn’t be risked on a non elite coach.

a bad mma coach can be a risk to your health. You also can’t take many losses and still be a draw 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:11 PM, Katie said:

I could see Nickal going to Jackson’s MMA in Albuquerque. It’s a world class gym, and I believe he grew up in the area. But, of course, other gyms are excellent, too.

I think that makes sense five years ago, but to hear Donald Cerrone talk, the days of Wink/Jackson being world class are done.

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I think that makes sense five years ago, but to hear Donald Cerrone talk, the days of Wink/Jackson being world class are done.

He’s not the only one. Numerous fighters have come out and said the gym is terrible now. 

If Bo is smart he will go to AKA

Edited by AZ_wrestling