All of a sudden

It does look appropriate to ask how CA, NY, FL, & TX have never won the NCAA team title. A college from these major states has never won the NCAA D1 team championship. That's strange.

Does anyone have an opinion? Big Ten is powerful, but that is really strange.

1 hour ago, scribe said:

It has everything to do with a ****ty team scoring format. This is why Carl and Brands fought so hard to keep it the way it is. 

I'm a huge proponent of a dual meet tourney determining the official team champions, but how many times in recent history would a team other than the individual tourney champs have actually won in a dual format?

In 2013, Oklahoma St placed 2nd, and were undefeated in duals including a win over Iowa, who defeated the champs Penn St in their dual.

In 2014, Minnesota placed 2nd, but beat the champs Penn St in their dual, and also lost to Michigan.

In 2015, Iowa placed 2nd, but beat the champs Ohio St, and lost to Missouri in the National Duals finals. Ohio St had 4 dual losses that year.

In 2018, Ohio St placed 2nd and lost 19-18 to the champs Penn St. I suppose that could have gone either way.

These results actually surprised me since it seems like Penn St has been so dominant over that period of time.  2013 is as far back as I looked.

17 hours ago, 2050 said:

It does look appropriate to ask how CA, NY, FL, & TX have never won the NCAA team title. A college from these major states has never won the NCAA D1 team championship. That's strange.

Does anyone have an opinion? Big Ten is powerful, but that is really strange.

Believe you failed to include Alaska, Hawaii & Puerto Rico.  Perhaps start with a list of programs that have won 2 or more and then you can better understand the states not on the list. ;_; 

40 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Other sports dont appear to be dominated by such a few programs.  What are the teams that have won?

Osu

Iowa

Iowa State

Mn

Asu

TOsu

Psu

Football and basketball are way different in this regard.

Cornell

Northern Iowa (Iowa Teachers)

MSU

Edited by jchapman

It is not a mystery why so few States nave NCAA D1 wrestling titles.

What is a mystery is why so many States tell the HS Wrestlers "you are not welcome here" by not having a program at the premier State University.

Is it possible the Women's wrestling can come to the rescue and push some major schools to add a men's program as they add a Women's wrestling team?

1 hour ago, WillieBoy said:

Is it possible the Women's wrestling can come to the rescue and push some major schools to add a men's program as they add a Women's wrestling team?

I'm not sure of a direct answer to this question but I will say this - it will be interesting for those schools who positioned their drop of wrestling due to Title IX. If women's wrestling sweeps the nation over the next ten years, the sport will have a male-female counter (football-volleyball, b-ball, baseball-softball, track, tennis, etc.). If Title IX truly was the reason for the drop - which they all were saying - they'll have no excuse now.

But I'm sure they'll hide behind some other reason - like funding, as they cut the ribbon to a new $150 million facility.