Sign in to follow this  
Nicky_Pipes

Iowa State Recruits... what happened?

Looks like Echemendia is exploring other options as he has decommitted from ISU and had an official visit with Tosu. His Story keeps getting more interesting by the day... 

The big question i have is Ryan Anderson... Anderson commited to the Cyclones as the #11 on the 2019 Sr. big board and now is enrolled at a D3 school in NJ. Anderson is alot of fun to watch and is going to surprise alot of d3 programs when his 5'4/149 frame walks onto the mat and cleans house...  

Anyone have any details on Andersons future plans? Does he have internsions of wrestling D1 any longer or is he planning on staying with Centenary? i hope the best for him, i was always a fan of his wrestling and his off mat interviews and persepctive on the sport.

Really stinks for a Cyclone squad that is definetly one the rise... imagine how much fun the 1-2 punch of Enche and Anderson would have been! 

Anderson didn’t have the grades to get in to ISU. There is a chance he comes back and he still has a good relationship with the staff, but he would need to do well in school. 

it seems fairly unlikely that a kid who didn’t do well in high school ends up doing well in college. 

I like the kid a lot. I hope he figured it out. 

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Anderson didn’t have the grades to get in to ISU. There is a chance he comes back and he still has a good relationship with the staff, but he would need to do well in school. 

it seems fairly unlikely that a kid who didn’t do well in high school ends up doing well in college. 

I like the kid a lot. I hope he figured it out. 

That depends on a lot of things. Why didn't he do well? Was it a bad Fr/So year before he realized those grades do matter (happens ALL the time, especially as FR), is there a learning disability that was never diagnosed, did he just not try, was there no support/tutoring in HS, etc.?

Very rarely (in my experience) are bad grades in HS because a kid just doesn't get it and can't succeed.

12 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Football and basketball players do it all the time. Pick an easy major and you’re golden. You can get D- s in your core classes and balance it with As in classes such as The Creative Process, philosophy, and Drug Education.

>>>Very rarely (in my experience) are bad grades in HS because a kid just doesn't get it and can't succeed.

.... Just curious:  are you a teacher or psychologist?  I had heard he was heading to Iowa Central; apparently not if the poster's right about Div III; "in my experience" they dabble in Div II, not III since there's no scholarship funding in D-3

On 10/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, PinFallRecruit said:

That depends on a lot of things. Why didn't he do well? Was it a bad Fr/So year before he realized those grades do matter (happens ALL the time, especially as FR), is there a learning disability that was never diagnosed, did he just not try, was there no support/tutoring in HS, etc.?

Very rarely (in my experience) are bad grades in HS because a kid just doesn't get it and can't succeed.

I disagree.  Some kids don’t just get it and can’t succeed in college.  I like watching Anderson wrestle as he seems to have a natural gift for it.  I am hoping he succeeds.  But if the carrots of a college education  and a top flight wrestling program don’t give him incentive to get his high school grades in order, flying 2,000 miles away and starting a college curriculum won’t help.

Unfortunately these days most public colleges have essentially remedial programs for kids who have graduated high school and aren’t ready for college.  A lot of them incur tens of thousands of dollars in debt and never get to real college instruction before dropping out.

College isn’t for everyone, despite what Bernie says.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, PinFallRecruit said:

I don’t really know anything about him, but based on the hometown listed on the Centenary roster, he (or somekne) drove 45 minutes one-way to a private catholic high school.  I’d have to think he had a fair amount of available support.  

Hopefully he makes it to D1.  If being closer to home helps, would have to think Rutgers is in the mix.