Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ptz305

NCAA Votes To Allow Athletes To Profit off of Likeness

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Zero impact on wrestling. We can't even fill college stadiums for dual meets when tickets are priced at $7.50.

You could be right about "zero impact on wrestling". However, I would argue that it could impact wrestlers.

I have long-questioned why an individual wasn't allowed to capitalize on his or her likeness. The ability to headline a camp - and be compensated for it - has the potential to help an athlete who would like to return home for a camp at his alma mater or even do a session near his college. I'm not so naive to think they'll retire on the money, but it could be a nice $200-$500 in his pocket for instructing the next generation about his craft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Camps are already legal with certain minor restrictions.

To my mind the reason it's not currently allowed is less about the kid than most posters think. It's more about releasing the Kraken again of alums for a school lining up to pay the kid. It will be interesting to see how the NCAA words things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

You could be right about "zero impact on wrestling". However, I would argue that it could impact wrestlers.

I have long-questioned why an individual wasn't allowed to capitalize on his or her likeness. The ability to headline a camp - and be compensated for it - has the potential to help an athlete who would like to return home for a camp at his alma mater or even do a session near his college. I'm not so naive to think they'll retire on the money, but it could be a nice $200-$500 in his pocket for instructing the next generation about his craft. 

$500 is already a low fee for a big name college wrestler to work you camp. These guys are already making $500+ a day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

You could be right about "zero impact on wrestling". However, I would argue that it could impact wrestlers.

I have long-questioned why an individual wasn't allowed to capitalize on his or her likeness. The ability to headline a camp - and be compensated for it - has the potential to help an athlete who would like to return home for a camp at his alma mater or even do a session near his college. I'm not so naive to think they'll retire on the money, but it could be a nice $200-$500 in his pocket for instructing the next generation about his craft. 

Fair point. I was thinking more about the Nike's of the world deciding between giving a $10M contract to Zion Williamson or Austin DeSanto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RealAmericanHero said:

You could be right about "zero impact on wrestling". However, I would argue that it could impact wrestlers.

I have long-questioned why an individual wasn't allowed to capitalize on his or her likeness. The ability to headline a camp - and be compensated for it - has the potential to help an athlete who would like to return home for a camp at his alma mater or even do a session near his college. I'm not so naive to think they'll retire on the money, but it could be a nice $200-$500 in his pocket for instructing the next generation about his craft. 

Totally agreed. This will benefit the large schools near hotbeds of youth wrestling the most. PSU, tOSU and Iowa...that’s where the stars will be able to make a decent amount of money doing clinics, camps, selling shirts, etc. I know they already do camps but there are supposedly rules in place about how the camps can be marketed and how much the wrestlers can be paid. Not that everyone is adhering to those rules but being able to do everything out in the open (advertise more aggressively) will take it to another level.

Nobody is going to get rich, but the stars in the right markets should be able to make some decent money (aka a fortune by college kid standards). I’m talking about the stars...guys like Bo, Mark Hall, Spencer, Snyder. Won’t make a penny difference to average AA college wrestler. 

Will be really interesting to see how this plays out specifically with summer camps. Those camps are how a lot of NCAA coaches get their incomes supplemented. If Nolf and Bo had teamed up and hosted “Nolf & Nickal” camps themselves over the summers in Western PA they could’ve absolutely killed it. Granted those 2 are exceptions given their popularity, their programs popularity, and the fact it’s located in our youth wrestling hotbed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDogg said:

Totally agreed. This will benefit the large schools near hotbeds of youth wrestling the most. PSU, tOSU and Iowa...that’s where the stars will be able to make a decent amount of money doing clinics, camps, selling shirts, etc. I know they already do camps but there are supposedly rules in place about how the camps can be marketed and how much the wrestlers can be paid. Not that everyone is adhering to those rules but being able to do everything out in the open (advertise more aggressively) will take it to another level.

Nobody is going to get rich, but the stars in the right markets should be able to make some decent money (aka a fortune by college kid standards). I’m talking about the stars...guys like Bo, Mark Hall, Spencer, Snyder. Won’t make a penny difference to average AA college wrestler. 

Will be really interesting to see how this plays out specifically with summer camps. Those camps are how a lot of NCAA coaches get their incomes supplemented. If Nolf and Bo had teamed up and hosted “Nolf & Nickal” camps themselves over the summers in Western PA they could’ve absolutely killed it. Granted those 2 are exceptions given their popularity, their programs popularity, and the fact it’s located in our youth wrestling hotbed. 

Camps, autographs for boosters, t-shirts, etc. Any semblance of parity is now gone. A full ride from NDSU won’t be worth the value of walking on at PSU, tOSU, and to a lesser extent Iowa/OSU. We will also see how badly Novo and the big Cornell boosters want an NCAA title at Princeton/Cornell if the wheels really come off. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Camps, autographs for boosters, t-shirts, etc. Any semblance of parity is now gone. A full ride from NDSU won’t be worth the value of walking on at PSU, tOSU, and to a lesser extent Iowa/OSU. We will also see how badly Novo and the big Cornell boosters want an NCAA title at Princeton/Cornell if the wheels really come off. 

If the NCAA wanted parity they would have put in some kind of financial fair play rules long ago.  The NCAA doesn't care if the same schools win national titles every year.  They would have put spending caps on sports to prevent boosters from buying their schools facilities, coaches, recruiting budgets, ect that are far superior to others. Limiting only scholarship numbers per sport is ineffectual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Camps, autographs for boosters, t-shirts, etc. Any semblance of parity is now gone. A full ride from NDSU won’t be worth the value of walking on at PSU, tOSU, and to a lesser extent Iowa/OSU. We will also see how badly Novo and the big Cornell boosters want an NCAA title at Princeton/Cornell if the wheels really come off. 

I hadn't even thought about him.  Would be funny to see Princeton start landing #1 recruiting classes every year.  Even if the floodgates were fully opened I doubt he'd do it, but he obviously could if he wanted to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...