irani

Most shocking defeats

Which upsets truly shocked you? I can think of a few candidates,  but there are probably other good ones

1. 2000 olympics, Brandon Slay defeats the unbeatable Buvaisar Saitiev 
  2. 1960 (yes, I am not old enough to remember, but have heard about it enough times) Douglas Blubagh defeats arguably the best wrestler of that time Habibi 

3. Taylor Pins the Olympic champion Hassan Yazdani in the world cup, and then beats him again the world championship to show that it was not a fluke 

4. Rasul Khadem defeats the legendary Makharbek Khadartsev in 1994 and does it again 1995 and 1996 to show that it was not a fluke 

5. Rulon E. Gardner defeating Russia's Aleksandr Karelin in 2000 olympics 

6. Hamid Sourian w in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, losing in the quarterfinals by eventual gold medalist Nazyr Mankiev of Russia (mercifully, I could not find a video)

Edited by irani

4 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Asgarov over Kudukhov in the finals of the 2012 Olympics was pretty shocking

IIRC, Kudukhov had a brutal half bracket before he met Asgarov in Olympic finals. Don't remember Asgarov's path on the other half bracket.

As far as the above list, I'll go with the pin by Taylor over Yazdani in Iran.

48 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Jimmy Carter defeating Lee Kemp in 1980.

Jimmy defeated a lot of big names in 1980 in wrestling. I’ve seen what had to be 100’s of names of people that lost to him that year.

1 hour ago, MDogg said:

Probably biased as an American but the top 2 seem obvious...though their order can be debated:

#1 Slay-Saitiev

#2 Gardner-Karelin 

This. In this order too. I would have had Rulon over Karelin as #1 if it were one cycle earlier and the Russian was 4 years younger. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I still have trouble believing Slay beat the GOAT.  That has to be the biggest shocker ever.

Absolutely. Even after getting taken down, you can still see he didn't believe that Slay could do it again. Talk about overconfident. Hands down in my mind the biggest upset. Gardner over Karelin in my mind is an overrated match just because of the way it happened. It'd be a different story ifhe beat him 5-2 or something like that.

So here is how I will rank the 6 and I listed

6. I will rank Gardner over Kraelin 6th.  It was towards the end of Kraelin's career, and no legitimate points were scored.

5. I will rank Khadem over Khadartsev 5th, because again it was towards the end of Khaderstev's career

4. Taylor over Yazdani is 4th, because Yazdani's credentials are nowhere near the other 5 in this list

3.  Blubagh over Habibi is 3rd because it was more like an accident.  Habibi was dominating the match and got caught

2. Sourian who was and is considered one of the GOAT is 2nd because while it was a shock, Sourian did lose again in that same Olympics and a future one

1. Slay over Satiev has to be the top.  It was a confident execution of a bold game plan against one of the GOAT, who won many medals before and after that loss

Edited by irani

Rulon is the biggest in terms of recognition and all that surrounded it, but not as shocking as the gap had been closing.  Remember Karelin only beat Gaffari 1-0 in '96, and Rulon had been battling Ghaffari for a while, and has a world gold and another olympic medal to go with it.  Slay is the most shocking, as he virtually came out of nowhere and beat one of the GOAT in his prime.  Slay doesn't have another medal to go with that one.  Blubaugh has to be up there in terms of who he beat and how it went down.

Edited by Lurker

9 hours ago, irani said:

6. I will rank Gardner over Kraelin 6th.  It was towards the end of Kraelin's career, and no legitimate points were scored.

Yeah, it was still a crazy upset (hence it being listed among the others), but the only point being scored by a broken clinch because of the ridiculous rules at the time, take away from it a bit.

Every match mentioned so far that involves an American is one where the American scores the upset. What about when it comes to Americans being upset?

Is Burroughs getting teched by Bekzod in Rio #1? Maybe “Bekzod beats Burroughs” isn’t all that shocking or a headline in 2019, but it was back in 2016 and it was an absolute rout. I think if we’re including the degree to which Burroughs lost its #1. Burroughs got teched without getting turned or giving up a 4 pointer. Bekzod just took him down at will...3 times in the first period as I remember. It was shocking.

Edited by MDogg

14 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Every match mentioned so far that involves an American is one where the American scores the upset. What about when it comes to Americans being upset?

Is Burroughs getting teched by Bekzod in Rio #1? Maybe “Bekzod beats Burroughs” isn’t all that shocking or a headline in 2019, but it was back in 2016 and it was an absolute rout. I think if we’re including the degree to which Burroughs lost its #1. Burroughs got teched without getting turned or giving up a 4 pointer. Bekzod just took him down at will...3 times in the first period as I remember. It was shocking.

Burroughs loss was in the wrestle backs after he had already lost. It's an upset but it isn't, because we all understand why it occurred. 

1 hour ago, MDogg said:

As American fans I think we are not shocked when one of top guys loses, because it is Freestyle and we have for many years, seen guys we think are unbeatable (based on their Folkstyle) lose to someone we don't know much about.  I agree that Burroughs big loss to Bekzod is a shock, but because it was a repecharge match I don't count it as much.

Although if we want to count Us v. US, Kemp over Gable has to be one of the most shocking.

7 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Although if we want to count Us v. US, Kemp over Gable has to be one of the most shocking.

Backside results always a bit suspect and yes this match happens on a rather small stage but here's another U.S. v. U.S. shocker: Ness over Metcalf.