irani

Most shocking defeats

1 hour ago, olddirty said:

If you want to talk about absolutely shocking that this could ever happen, Hassan Rangraz was the returning world champ.  He wrestled some absolute nobody from turkmenistan in the semis who had never done anything before, and never did after.  Rangraz techs him by 10, but tries to pin him, where then the Turkmenistan athlete Nepes rolls on top and sticks him.  Dude was the returning champ with a tech in the bag and gets pinned.  Way more shocking than Rulon getting a win with an unlocked hands call.

I remember that.  That one was more like shockingly stupid.

3 hours ago, irani said:

No question he was dominant for the three years, but he did not do well in the previous olympics

he also took silver 5 months earlier in the European championship, losing to Belarus (I looked it up on the UWW database)

Most the other guys were defending Olympic champions, and were dominant longer than three years.

Contrasted with Lowney who had almost zero senior level experience from a country that isn't known for doing too well at Greco.  It would have been one thing if somebody like Gleasman or Couture had beaten Gogi, you might have expected that since they had both been active and on world or Olympic teams before.  But a 20 year old who nobody really knew about and had possibly zero senior level Greco internationally under him?  That's why it's a big upset.  

1 minute ago, TripNSweep said:

Contrasted with Lowney who had almost zero senior level experience from a country that isn't known for doing too well at Greco.  It would have been one thing if somebody like Gleasman or Couture had beaten Gogi, you might have expected that since they had both been active and on world or Olympic teams before.  But a 20 year old who nobody really knew about and had possibly zero senior level Greco internationally under him?  That's why it's a big upset.  

I have no argument that it was a huge upset, and Lowney deserves all the credit in the world.

However, for ANYONE to beat Satiev was a shock, and Slay was not the most decorated wrestler either.

At the end of the day, this is a subjective conversation.  If you feel Lowney's win was as a big a shock, then it was.

t e

1 minute ago, irani said:

I have no argument that it was a huge upset, and Lowney deserves all the credit in the world.

However, for ANYONE to beat Satiev was a shock, and Slay was not the most decorated wrestler either.

At the end of the day, this is a subjective conversation.  If you feel Lowney's win was as a big a shock, then it was.

t e

If anyone else had beaten Gogi then I don't think it would have been as shocking.  The fact Lowney did it was very surprising, considering the gap in both experience and achievements on the senior level for both of them.  I think Lowney won a bronze at world juniors or cadets, but had very little to no senior level Greco experience internationally.  On paper it looked like a complete mismatch.  Considering the way Lowney got manhandled by Ljunberg in the semis, I think that's what a lot of people expected to happen against Gogi.  

5 hours ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

Ones that have not been mentioned...

1. Jim Scherr over Makharbek Khadartsev by throwing him to his back at the last second!

2. Lazaro Reinoso over John Smith by crotch lift in OT I think. What made this one crazy is also that it was at the Olympics during the double Elimination yearsSmith won gold, while Lázaro had to settle for bronze.

Special note: if you ever end up at a wrestling camp in Kentucky (back in the early 2000’s), and your coach happens to be good friends with Lázaro, don’t ask him to sign your John Smith wrestling shoes.

Reinoso over Smith at the 1992 Olympic wasn't particularly shocking. Reinoso had beaten Smith before in 1990.  That first win was probably more shocking.  It also wasn't double elimination at the Olympics it was the pool system.  Reinoso has lost to Azizov in the opening round of the pool and Smith had soundly beaten Azizov already.  The match between Smith and Reinoso was in the last round of pool play and by that time Smith essentially had a spot in the final locked up.  Reinoso would have had to win by shutout tech or pin to pass Smith in the pool standings. 

Has to be Gardner over Karelin followed by Slay over Saitiev. How about Burroughs over Tsargush? Overcoming the singlet pull(s). Or “The Throw Heard Round the World” Wilfred Dietrich over Chris Taylor?

Edited by Besik4Ever

On 11/4/2019 at 4:10 PM, olddirty said:

If you want to talk about absolutely shocking that this could ever happen, Hassan Rangraz was the returning world champ.  He wrestled some absolute nobody from turkmenistan in the semis who had never done anything before, and never did after.  Rangraz techs him by 10, but tries to pin him, where then the Turkmenistan athlete Nepes rolls on top and sticks him.  Dude was the returning champ with a tech in the bag and gets pinned.  Way more shocking than Rulon getting a win with an unlocked hands call.

Definition of shocking. No other way to describe how I felt. Good call.

On 11/4/2019 at 5:49 PM, Fishbane said:

Reinoso over Smith at the 1992 Olympic wasn't particularly shocking. Reinoso had beaten Smith before in 1990.  That first win was probably more shocking.  It also wasn't double elimination at the Olympics it was the pool system.  Reinoso has lost to Azizov in the opening round of the pool and Smith had soundly beaten Azizov already.  The match between Smith and Reinoso was in the last round of pool play and by that time Smith essentially had a spot in the final locked up.  Reinoso would have had to win by shutout tech or pin to pass Smith in the pool standings. 

Agreed!

Jim Scherr pancaking Khardartsev in 1989 World Cup, at the height of Khardartsev's run...https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5098669-1989-world-cup-jim-scherr-vs-makharbek-khadartsev