nhs67

Kerkvliet has entered the transfer portal...

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

PSU is the only logical destination since Snyder moved there.  Poor Seth Nevills though.

It would be ironic considering the Nevills/Thomas Haines recruitment.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, AZ_wrestling said:

I’m probably in the minority but I think Parris has jumped serious levels in the last year and will prove to be Cassar’s biggest threat. 

It’d have to be an awful lot of levels based on the drubbing Cassar gave him last season. Last time we saw Parris in Folk he got pinned in the first period by Matt Stencel (and would’ve been down 8-1 to in the first period had he gotten off his back). 

I think Parris is going to be a lot better than he was last year...but the fact remains he was nowhere remotely close to being on an NCAA champ level last year. Nevermind the fact heavyweight is going to be DEEP this year. 

His JR world performance was very impressive...but IMO he wouldn’t have even made the team had Cassioppi shown up to trials.

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

I might be touching the third rail here, but I think Ryan has built a mono-culture at tOSU.   The whole positive infinity stuff is a veiled nod to a right wing Christian culture.  You have a 4X NCAA Champ and World Champ in your stable and he isn't the ORTC head coach?  While I think Trevel is a decent coach, why isn't Stieber the HC at the ORTC?  I think it is because Trevel and Ryan share the same views and Stieber does not.  Throw in JJ who I don't think he buys into the religion stuff either but is such an Ohio guy, I think he puts up with a lot of stuff.  I get that Snyder has bought into this stuff and don't think he left because of it, but I think it turns a lot of potential recruits off.   Turning to Cael, a guy who was at least raised in a religious family, seldom mentions religion, if at all.  When you go to the house of Cael, you get nothing but wrestling.  When you go to the house of Ryan, it is a mix of wrestling, lifestyle, religion, etc.

Is Tervel religious? I haven't seen him talk about it at all. I think you're right about the heavy handed right wing Christianity thing, especially with all the Jordans around considering their uncle has risen to be one of the top right wing evangelical politicians in the country. However, I'm not sure that has anything to do with people leaving. Tervel is considered one of the best technical coaches in the country and was already established as the RTC guy before Steiber retired. You wanted them to tell Tervel to take a hike? Did Steiber even want the job? It certainly had nothing to do with Snyder leaving because he fits that hyper-religious mold perfectly. Which recruits do you think they've missed on? 

Edited by uncle bernard

8 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Is Tervel religious? I haven't seen him talk about it at all. I think you're right about the heavy handed right wing Christianity thing, especially with all the Jordans around considering their uncle has risen to be one of the top right wing evangelical politicians in the country. However, I'm not sure that has anything to do with people leaving. Tervel is considered one of the best technical coaches in the country and was already established as the RTC guy before Steiber retired. You wanted them to tell Tervel to take a hike? Did Steiber even want the job? It certainly had nothing to do with Snyder leaving because he fits that hyper-religious mold perfectly. Which recruits do you think they've missed on? 

Every family has a strange uncle Bernard, sure we all like to go home for the holidays but there's that uncle Bernard ;_;

13 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Cael and Brands are also very religious, as are their teams.  Why do most people make the decisions they do? Obviously money.  PSU had the $$$ to get Cael from Iowa State to PSU and it's likely why they got Snyder from tOSU to PSU.  Why would Kerk stay at tOSU without anyone at the world level there to push him in the room?

Edited by Billyhoyle

This kid can't be serious. 

The Minnesota thing made sense...don't want to battle it out with Gable. 

Decommitting from Oklahoma State...okay, sure there are some better places to train, maybe, sure...

Leaving Ohio State? C'mon man...

Excuse, excuse, excuse...I'm guessing this won't be the last one. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I doubt he cares much about that after the first few transfers.  The kid should go to the place that's best for achieving his goal of winning NCAA, World and Olympic championships.

Well how would he know? He's never stayed at any place long enough or given any place a chance. And Kyle Snyder won a couple of medals while training in Columbus. It's not like he would be training in Vanuatu.

5 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Not a big fan of this news.  Was one of those concerned with tOSU's room after Snyder left.  The buckeyes are in trouble and unless they land another superstar at the senior level to anchor them.

TOSU will be fine. They have some serious recruits in their room. I bet guys like Decatur, Jordan, Sasso, and Karchla end up with 10 AAs between them. They will anchor the next cycle for tOSU. They will get some of the top 2021 and 2022 guys. Just watch

1 hour ago, MDogg said:

It’d have to be an awful lot of levels based on the drubbing Cassar gave him last season. Last time we saw Parris in Folk he got pinned in the first period by Matt Stencel (and would’ve been down 8-1 to in the first period had he gotten off his back). 

I think Parris is going to be a lot better than he was last year...but the fact remains he was nowhere remotely close to being on an NCAA champ level last year. Nevermind the fact heavyweight is going to be DEEP this year. 

His JR world performance was very impressive...but IMO he wouldn’t have even made the team had Cassioppi shown up to trials.

In hindsight you still think Cassioppi would’ve beaten Parris? 

59 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Sorry but IMO the Buckeyes will be just fine. Would it be better if this hadn't happened? Of course!

May not be true. I bet that freed up an entire scholarship. 

keeklevit is also an injury risk. That doesn’t often bode well for upperweights. 

I think he is going to be a multiple time AA if he stays healthy, by it is fair to question if he will. This could end you being a blessing in disguise 

33 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

May not be true. I bet that freed up an entire scholarship. 

keeklevit is also an injury risk. That doesn’t often bode well for upperweights. 

I think he is going to be a multiple time AA if he stays healthy, by it is fair to question if he will. This could end you being a blessing in disguise 

The guy almost medaled at U23 worlds at 18 without an ACL.  Singletary has an outside chance of being an AA and their other upperweight just lost to the backup.  Ohio state is going to be fighting for a team trophy, but another team title is now a longshot.  

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Is Trevel considered one of the best?  You could make the argument that once Roselli left in 2016, Snyder has tapered off.  Who else has Trevel been successful with in the last two years?  Also, I said "I get that Snyder has bought into this stuff and don't think he left because of it," but maybe he realized he didn't need any of the other stuff, he just needs great coaching in wrestling.  As I outlined, Cael is the man for the job.  Recruits they have missed out on?  Who knows, I am just saying if you create a mono-culture like Ryan has, it leaves a large percentage of good recruits out.  Better question is which recruits did he get that did not pan out because they didn't fit the mold? Or which recruits regardless of the mold got better?  

As someone said above, do Ryan and Trevel really have the name recognition?  I think guys were coming to tOSU for Snyder and Stieber.  NEO guys probably for Stieber and JJ.  Hire JJ as HC and Logan as AHC.  If not, we might see this https://twitter.com/trackwrestling/status/1190286270989262848/photo/1

Edited by jeffrideal