nhs67

Kerkvliet has entered the transfer portal...

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Cael and Brands are also very religious, as are their teams.  Why do most people make the decisions they do? Obviously money.  PSU had the $$$ to get Cael from Iowa State to PSU and it's likely why they got Snyder from tOSU to PSU.  Why would Kerk stay at tOSU without anyone at the world level there to push him in the room?

That is the biggest cop out and misconception in wrestling. Who is pushing Zahid in Tempe?  He is leaps and bounds better than anyone in the room. He is also 1000% times better than when he arrived in Tempe. If you don’t have it inside on your own,  nobody is going to get it for you. There are coaches in any of these rooms that can help get you there  

15 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I'm not familiar with that could you explain to me please

Haines committed to PSU. A couple months later, but before any NLI can be signed or money discussed or promised, Nick Nevills calls or writes PSU asking if he can make an official visit. Nevills is ranked #1 at Hwt. Long story short, he visits and commits to PSU.

My memory is that Haines dad got pretty upset and Thomas ended up a Buckeye. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Haines committed to PSU. A couple months later, but before any NLI can be signed or money discussed or promised, Nick Nevills calls or writes PSU asking if he can make an official visit. Nevills is ranked #1 at Hwt. Long story short, he visits and commits to PSU.

My memory is that Haines dad got pretty upset and Thomas ended up a Buckeye. 

LOL it was all Nevills doing.

51 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

That is the biggest cop out and misconception in wrestling. Who is pushing Zahid in Tempe?  He is leaps and bounds better than anyone in the room. He is also 1000% times better than when he arrived in Tempe. If you don’t have it inside on your own,  nobody is going to get it for you. There are coaches in any of these rooms that can help get you there  

I always thought this but I figured if I mentioned it I would get laughed at. Obviously I'm sure it helps to have other elite-level wrestlers to train with if you want to reach your maximum potential. But what about these guys at these places who don't have elite partners and still end up making all american, win national championships and so on? What is the consensus on how they have done it? In my dumbass opinion, I think what is inside kid is WAY more important than all the bells and whistles on the outside. That may sound simplistic but I think there are many wrestlers who have elite partners who for whatever reason don't have the desire to be successful and aren't and there are many wrestlers in college at Division 1 who work every day with another wrestler who's decent but nothing special and they achieve way more than anybody thought they could. Look at Drew Foster from Northern Iowa. He had some decent guys to work with but it's not like he was wrestling the elite in & around 184 day in and day out. I guess what I'm saying is I believe a lot of people have mistakenly thought that having elite level training partners is way more important to winning a national championship or an Olympic medal then it necessarily is. Some people think it is the only way. Remember a lot of these guys that go to Ohio State, Iowa and Penn State are really good because they've had the drive to succeed for a long time. I'll bet you if we put Spencer Lee at Virginia Tech he would still do just fine. Sure all things being equal having better training partners would probably be the perfect situation but I think we overestimate how great a situation is for a kid. What's good for one kid may not necessarily be ideal for another one regardless of how talented they are.

7 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Parris might have way more upside. IMHO when they wrestled at Fargo Parris was insanely overrated...but now he is actually pretty good.

I know this.  I meant no disrespect to Parris or anything UofM.  I am a state of Michigan homer.

I just meant that to disregard Cassiopi as if he isn't right there may be a rather big mistake come NCAAs.

The other two major factors to consider when speaking on their last match are these: Cassiopi was a physical freestyle Heavyweight whereas Parris was a physical folkstyle 220, in a freestyle match.

13 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

I agree with your overall point, but Chris Pendelton can definitely push Zahid in Tempe.  Especially 4 years ago when he arrived and started to improve immensely. 

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

I agree with your overall point, but Chris Pendelton can definitely push Zahid in Tempe.  Especially 4 years ago when he arrived and started to improve immensely. 

I did say all the rooms have the coaches to push you and get you better. And I agree Pendleton has been great. 

At first glance the Kerkvliet situation looks like the beginning of what would become the Virginia Tech debacle. Seems clear Snyder the draw for Kerkvliet. I wonder if Kerk & parents sought written promise, giving Kerkvliet permission to transfer should Snyder take off.

Edited by jon

30 minutes ago, jon said:

At first glance the Kerkvliet situation looks like the beginning of what would become the Virginia Tech debacle. Seems clear Snyder the draw for Kerkvliet. I wonder if Kerk & parents sought written promise, giving Kerkvliet permission to transfer should Snyder take off.

I don't know what a written promise would do. National letters-of-intent don't allow anything like and contracts entered into that violates a law is an invalid contract. 

3 hours ago, jon said:

Kerk has both a redshirt and olympic redshirt to potentially burn, so I don't think he will lose eligibility.  Also, I think it's a lot more difficult to force transfers to lose eligibility these days, right?  There's the Suriano situation plus a number of different ones in football. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

On 11/1/2019 at 7:13 PM, jeffrideal said:

I might be touching the third rail here, but I think Ryan has built a mono-culture at tOSU.   The whole positive infinity stuff is a veiled nod to a right wing Christian culture.  You have a 4X NCAA Champ and World Champ in your stable and he isn't the ORTC head coach?  While I think Trevel is a decent coach, why isn't Stieber the HC at the ORTC?  I think it is because Trevel and Ryan share the same views and Stieber does not.  Throw in JJ who I don't think he buys into the religion stuff either but is such an Ohio guy, I think he puts up with a lot of stuff.  I get that Snyder has bought into this stuff and don't think he left because of it, but I think it turns a lot of potential recruits off.   Turning to Cael, a guy who was at least raised in a religious family, seldom mentions religion, if at all.  When you go to the house of Cael, you get nothing but wrestling.  When you go to the house of Ryan, it is a mix of wrestling, lifestyle, religion, etc.

Yep...you're touching a third rail with your left-wing atheist nonsense.  

Tervel took the coaching job when Stieber was still competing.  

Tom Ryan is a better man than most people could ever hope to be.

Duke Ellington:  "When anyone says to me that Art Tatum plays too many notes, I immediately dismiss of them in my mind."

2 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

It’s entirely possible he or his parents said “the only reason we’re going to OSU is because Snyder is there. Just assure us he’s staying”. 

Well his parents clearly weren't well informed as Synder was never at OSU.  But maybe this explains two of the decommits/transfers. ;_;